*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/464034-My-Uncle
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#464034 added October 24, 2006 at 8:22am
Restrictions: None
My Uncle
Last Tuesday my uncle suffered from a stroke. It wasn't expected and came on suddenly. The good thing, if there is one, is that my aunt and his son were both there when it happened. They spent multiple hours in the emergency room waiting for him to get a room. At that point we were not informed how severe it was. I'm not sure if my aunt was trying to protect us or because she wasn't ready to deal with it on her own.

On Friday we were told that he wasn't going to make it. They decided not to do any surgery, put him on any machines or feeding tubes, just let him go peacefully. I had planned to stop up at the hospital to see him on Sunday after leaving the airport; however, late Saturday evening he passed.

The saying, "live each day as if it is your last," sank in a lot deeper! *Frown* To make matters worse I am scheduled for my first out of town business trip this week. The funeral has been scheduled for Wednesday, which is right in the middle of my trip.

When I went to work on Monday I was hoping my co-workers would sympathize with me and allow me to skip the trip, but that didn't happen. I don't think people understand that it is possible to be close to your aunts and uncles. I know there are a lot of families that only see their aunts and uncles when there is a wedding or funeral. That isn't the case with my family. We see each other all the time. I don't think we go more than 2 or 3 months at most without finding some reason to get together again.

I did talk to my aunt yesterday and took her to dinner so I could at least spend a little time with her. She was sad, but putting on her brave face. She also told me she understood and knew my uncle would too about me not being there. It was tearing my heart hearing those words. There has never been a family event...good or bad...that I've missed...it just doesn't feel right!

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/464034-My-Uncle