*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/460177-Books-Justice-Dollar-Signs-and-Such
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#460177 added October 8, 2006 at 8:57pm
Restrictions: None
Books, Justice, Dollar Signs and Such
Robin Givens' and Paula Abdul's books, both memoirs, are first in line to be mentioned in the book columns in most newspapers. What shocks me is that these books are not even out, yet. I bet Hemingway didn't get such ado before his books were distributed. Is it the name recognition, the bimbo factor, or our insatiable need for cheap gossip? I tend to go with the last.

But real writers are a very forgiving bunch. They forgive these things, even worse ones. I think writers are the Amish in the world of professions.

Talking about the Amish and forgiving, these folks have taught us a lesson or two, during the last few days. Who else but the Amish could forgive the killer of their children? Not only that, they attended his funeral and embraced his family.

Could I do that? Probably not, but then I am in this culture, even if for a split second or two I felt like going to live among them, I wouldn't; I couldn't. I love my computer and my creature comforts way too much. I still admire the Amish, though.

With any other group it would be lawyers, suing, court trips, months of media frenzy etc. Somehow this culture of ours, unlike the Amish, has learned to cloak vengeance with the word justice, which makes me wonder if the concept of justice isn't getting mixed up with the dollar sign.

Something to ponder about.

© Copyright 2006 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/460177-Books-Justice-Dollar-Signs-and-Such