*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458096-The-BEST-Compliment
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#458096 added September 29, 2006 at 3:30pm
Restrictions: None
The BEST Compliment
As a few of you know, since May I have been writing to my friend in jail. Although that is not a place I would wish anyone to ever have to go to, I think it has been great for our friendship. Wait, let me explain! *Smile* By us being forced to only communicate by pen and paper we have learned a whole lot more about one another. Oh, but on a side note, I did find out that in the next week or two he will be able to start calling me...YIPPEE!! *Bigsmile*

Anyway, I received his letter the other day. It was part of the mail I received the day I had the surprise from the spider...a day I will never forget!! *Laugh* What he wrote in that letter brought tears to my eyes and gave me such a huge sense of happiness and self worth it was almost too much for me to handle. Although I am a tad emotional, so to the average person it may not do much more than bring a smile to your face! *Smile*

I don't have the letter in front of me so I cannot quote it word for word, but he basically said that I have made a huge difference in his life. He said when I sent my first letter to him, which he was terrified to open, that it made him cry tears of happiness and hope. Happiness because he realized I was still his friend, didn't judge him, and actually cared. Hope because I made him realize there are people other than his family that care about him. He now calls me his Wonderwall because I have been there for him. He went on and on and all his words meant a lot to me.

I mean, in general I think I am a good person (not always, I do have my flaws *Smile* )and try to be there for family and friends...even strangers on occassion...and although I know they appreciate it, I've never heard the appreciation said in such a way. I'm not saying that their gratitude means nothing, but I guess it never really hit home like this. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Either way, I will say after reading that letter it made me realize my purpose in life...to help others. I may not be able to help them in the same sense that a doctor, lawyer, or counselor can, but I am able to help them in the sense that they can have my shoulder to cry on, my ear to listen, and my words to comfort them or attempt to make them laugh, which ever works at the time I guess!! *Smile*

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/458096-The-BEST-Compliment