*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/451463-
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#451463 added August 29, 2006 at 8:37pm
Restrictions: None
But I don’t want to! Later? Much later? Please?
whisper, whisper, whisper

I tried to wave that voice away much like I would a fly buzzing near my ear. It annoyed me.

nudge, nudge, nudge

I squirmed, still annoyed. I had things on my mind, other things to do. Quit bugging me!

poke, poke, poke

Fine! You now have my attention. What do you want?!

I listened. I understood. I did what the Spirit asked, begrudgingly Iā€™ll admit. After all, He asked for my complete attention, no distractions, and the only time I can give it is early in the morning after Dave goes to work. And Iā€™m talking early: 5am. Being a morning person is one thing, but I do like my sleep.

Dragging myself out of bed, I spent the next five minutes forcing my eyes and brain to focus on reading what God asked of me.

I stumbled my way through the next lesson in ā€œWrite His answer,ā€ and as I did so, I kept wondering what was so important that I needed to go through it. Though informative and important as it focused on the necessity of depending upon and listening for the Holy Spirit as I write, it didnā€™t pop out at me as the other lessons had.

Then I turned the page to read the questions of the chapter and happened to read the title of the next lesson: Overcoming Procrastination.

Uh, oh.

As I read the required scripture and answered the questions, I kept glancing at that title. Nah, I thought. That canā€™t be what God wants me to learn. Besides, I donā€™t want to continue. Iā€™m tired. It can wait until tomorrow.

Yep, I wanted to procrastinate doing the procrastination chapter. Go ahead and laugh. I did.

When I finished the previous chapter, I once again considered waiting. But the Holy Spirit, now fully aware I was fully aware of Him, pushed me to continue.

Can I say now Iā€™m glad I did? Iā€™ll let you know later *Bigsmile*.

The scripture outlined below the chapter heading read: Dreaming instead of doing is foolishness, and there is ruin in a flood of empty words. ~ Ecclesiastes 5:7

I love to dream, to come up with plans for my future, yet barely work to fulfill them. Marlene began by describing her own tendencies toward procrastination, and I discovered Iā€™m not much different.

She then outlined three steps to overcoming procrastination:

1. Facing the reasons why I procrastinate: Mine range from laziness (the biggie) to fear of failure, even fear of success.

2. Confession: Not so much to confess my sins as most people define it, but confess my shortcomings, specifically my excuses for procrastinating. I need to ask God to give me the courage and motivation to do, and not just talk or dream about doing.

3. Risk being open and honest with others (Marlene worded this differently, narrowing it to Christians only. Me, Iā€™d just as soon talk to anyone whoā€™ll listen, regardless of their faith *kicks chicken out of the room*). She does highlight James 5:16 which is important to remember though: Admit your faults to one another and pray for each other. Thatā€™s hard to do. Not so much admitting my faults, because Iā€™m good at that. Itā€™s the asking for prayers I have trouble with. It seems so darned selfish and self-absorbed of me. Intellectually, I know itā€™s not. Iā€™ve never thought that when someone asked me to pray for them. In fact, I felt honored. It then would be safe to assume anyone I ask would feel the same. *Takes deep breath* So, if you feel so inclined, any prayers you could shoot my way to help me remain focused and no longer procrastinate will be so appreciated. Thank ye.

So, youā€™d think good ā€˜ole Spirit dude would leave me alone now, huh? Nope. Heā€™s prodding me on to get to work!

FYI. I have decided to schedule my Blogville visiting days to Wednesdays and weekends (unless something comes up), so I will see you all tomorrow.

Have a great night everybody.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/451463-