*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/448007-Challenge
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#448007 added August 15, 2006 at 7:32pm
Restrictions: None
Challenge
This is probably not the brightest thing I ever did in a hurry, but I'm going to give it a stab.

What do you believe in?

Notice the word 'in.' It gives it a little different meaning than if I'd asked what you believe. I believe that electricity comes out of wall sockets, without really understanding the principle behind it. In that context, it seems to mean: I believe that electricy exists. That's probably the context most people use when they speak of religious belief: I believe in God = I believe that God exists.

To believe in someone or something has the force of your will and intention behind it. You'll stake, if not your life, your word on it.

There are no wrong answers to this question.

Common answers to the question, "What do you believe in?" include: "Myself," "A higher power," "America," "Love,""Scientific knowledge," "The Golden Rule."

The answers reflect our values: I believe in praising my children. I believe in hard work. I believe in families taking time to play together. I believe in prayer. I believe in taking care of our earth. I believe in team work.

There are lots of things we believe in.

I believe that those things we believe in help make up our spirituality. The things that give life meaning for us are what we believe in.

Incidentally, I think that's what Jesus meant when he said, "Believe in God. Believe also in me." Not only that they exist, but that they have meaning for us.

Here's a quote from the show, "Gray's Anatomy":“That’s why I have to believe in something bigger than me…because if I didn’t, that powerlessness would eat me alive.”

What do you believe in?




© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/448007-Challenge