*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/438565-Chapter-10-A-Vicous-Hunger-Never-ending
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #963392
A story of Sarah Turner with vampires, wizards, werewolves and magic
#438565 added October 3, 2006 at 1:54pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 10: A Vicous Hunger, Never-ending
Chapter 10: A Vicious Hunger, Never-ending



Sarah, Ryley and Madison huddled together near the portal, listening to all the advice that Hillary could give them about their assignment. Their surrounding was exquisite and helped each to relax and quit worrying about what may happen on the mission, and also allowed Sarah and Madison to be calmer with Ryley. There were fireflies in the sky hovering around them, beautiful large willow trees that allowed their wispy branches to fall into the river next to them. Lilly pads floated along the river, and the sound of crickets and other creatures kept them from being in total silence. Sarah almost wished that they didn’t have to go on the mission to find some little girl, and just stay here all night, allowing themselves to be totally cool with each other. But of course, that wasn’t the case, and Sarah had to snap herself back to reality and focus on the task ahead of them.

Their portal was not to Foria, but instead was destined for another part of their world, however Hillary would not tell the three exactly where it was. She just merely told them that where they were to be going, it was a different time zone, and was soon to be daylight, so they had to hurry with their mission. Sarah could tell that Madison was quite worried about this, but stayed silent as she watched Madison’s eyes keep glancing up towards the sky.

Serge handed the three their weapons, and Hillary blessed them a safe trip and warned them to all be careful.

‘Of course we will Hillary, you know us, we never try to get in any trouble.’ Madison quipped, trying to lighten her own mood up.

Hillary smiled slightly, ‘Oh I’m sure I can trust you three, like I said, please be careful.’

‘Well it’s a good thing that I’m here then, I can protect the girl’s in case anything happens.’ Ryley interjected proudly. Madison quickly replied with a playful shove that almost knocked Ryley into the river that they were all standing next to.

‘Okay, okay, that’s enough fooling around, you must remember to be serious here you three, now get going, you have to use your time wisely.’ Hillary lectured, her eyes narrowed at Sarah, Madison and Ryley suspiciously.

Sarah faltered her smile and hardened inside, preparing herself for what was about to come. She had to admit, she was slightly worried, worried about everything that might happen to them, the girl, and of course Simon. He still kept well among her thoughts as she glanced one last time at the moon before she took a breath, and stepped into the portal with Madison and Ryley following quite close behind.



Inside the portal, Sarah didn’t know how to explain how she felt, what it was like and everything she saw. It was exhilarating, and frightening at the same time, and all around her was that same misty blue fog that she had experienced a while back when she had first encountered her grandmother. She could look into other doorways and see so many images flash by, people she would probably never know and places she might never see. Madison and Ryley were nearby, each amused just like Sarah at being inside of the portal, trying to see everything around them.

After what seemed like minutes of floating through the portal, they came to a shimmering opening that had what appeared to be a forest on the other side. Sarah cautiously stepped through the portal opening, feeling relieved to be free of the sticky blue substance that always tried to engulf her.

‘Whoa, I’m not feeling so great any longer.’ Madison stated unenthusiastically. Ryley did little except walk unsteadily slightly, but out of the three, he did seem as though he took the portal the finest. Sarah as well felt her head ache painfully, her stomach churning away as she leaned against a tree trying to catch whatever breath she could.

Ryley shook his head and stared at Madison, ‘Come on, can’t you women handle the portal, it’s just a few seconds in a quick motion state, you’ll get used to it. Besides, remember what Hillary said, we only have a small number of hours before we must to get back, so we need to make this steal immediate.’ He scoffed. Ryley pushed Madison’s bangs out of her face with Madison weakly attempting to swat his hand away. Ryley chuckled as he kept tormenting her by playing with her hair, and poking her, only causing Madison’s strength and anger to increase.

Eventually Sarah watched as Madison growled and leaped after Ryley, and began chasing him around their clearing, obviously recovered enough to continue.
‘Now there’s the crazy Madison that I know.’ Ryley taunted as he easily avoided her.

‘Shut up Ryley, I swear if I catch you, you’re going to regret it.’

‘Oooh, I’m so terrified, look at me, I’m trembling in my booties.’

‘OKAY.’ Sarah yelled finally, her energy finally back to almost normal. Ryley glanced at Sarah, but just that second caused Madison to catch up and trip him from behind. He skidded to the ground face first, with Madison climbing onto his back to keep him down as she taunted and whispered nasty mean things in his ear. ‘Madison, please, can we just do this and get out of here? You can torture Ryley later, and I’ll help you even, I promise.’

‘Cross your heart and hope to die, stick a needle in your eye?’ Madison replied without glancing at Sarah, a smirk of ecstasy smeared across her lips.

Sarah sighed and grinned, typical Madison she thought, ‘I do indeed promise this to you Madison, but for now, we have a mission to complete, and I want to finish this as fast as possible.’ Madison agreed after only a slight moment of hesitation, her hand wrapped around Ryley’s throat mischievously, but then rose and helped Ryley up. For some reason, Sarah knew that this night was going to feel so long and she just wanted out of this strange place, especially if there were people even here who might be watching. Plus Sarah wanted to get back and check to see if Simon was doing all right... she wouldn’t tell this to Madison, but she was almost sure that Madison knew anyway.



The three followed the instructions that Hillary had told them, and followed an almost undetectable trail through the woods that would lead to the edge of a small town, and there they had to go and find this girl at a specific location. It of course sounded easy enough, until they arrived at their so-called town.
A town is a place that the only important place was the main street, because that is where everything is located, but this was no small town. Apparently, this town had changed since Hillary had last visited it, because now this town had become a nice little city, with apartment buildings towering off in the distance. Madison scoffed and began pacing around angrily, muttering inaudible dialogue to herself.

The street they had just walked onto bared the name, Twilight St. Sarah sighed at the irony here, she was not dumb, she could see the night sky already fading away to a dim greyish light that fell across this silent neighbourhood.

‘What did Hillary say again?’ Ryley asked, his arms crossed over one another in frustration.

‘That once we arrived, follow the street to a nearby playground and examine the shadows carefully to notice a cleverly hidden female, her face pale white, and eyes that would hint loneliness. The girl you are about to see will already be a fallen, dead to this world and any others, a lost soul that met a cruel faith.

Challenge her beasts that she will use and remember that they are also dead and so no wounds may be inflicted by any blade, or weapon, only a spell may put them to rest. If you pass, she shall give you the crystal, and if you fail… well, let’s just try not to let that happen all right?’ Madison recited perfectly.
‘So we just follow this street until we find some sort of park, and with the help our magic detectors, we will find a ghost child, and then have to battle some stupid morons of her little minions, and we get the crystal?’ Ryley said inquiringly, his arms still crossed over one another.

‘I suppose that’s how it will go.’ Sarah answered.
Ryley stayed silent for a moment, his eyes watching his hands with interest and then finally shrugged, though he had a smart grin on his mouth and said, ‘This will be a piece of kick ass cake.’

Madison and Sarah couldn’t help but snort up laughter at his remark.

‘Shut up Ryley,’ Sarah laughed. He shrugged once again and began heading down the road towards the little girl. Madison and Sarah did not hesitate to follow.


The road towards this park was dark and sullen, the smell of wet rats and garbage from every alleyway made them wince in disgust. She sneered at her surroundings, once again wishing she was back to that beautiful river that was at just before climbing into the portal. Steam also accompanied the rats and river of garbage that was just out of sight. Sarah thought that she had seen a shadowy figure watching her through the fog, but before she could really get an eye onto it, it moved away deeper into the mist.

She closed her eyes and kept moving forward trying to ignore what she had seen, her eyes set in a nasty glare. She felt different lately, she would admit it, before she would have shivered and would have been afraid to see someone in some foreboding mist. Now, she felt dangerous and ready, sure that she would be able to protect herself and her friends, she felt brave and knew she could handle many things now.

‘That must be it.’ Ryley commented, nodding his head towards a gloomy and lofty building that had a playground attached to it. It appeared to be a playground from a horror movie, something like Nightmare on Elm St when you see those three little girls play jump rope. The swings were moving all on their own, and sweet children’s voices could be heard in an eerie echoing whisper that surrounded the three.
The group eased forward cautiously, with weapons out and ready towards the gates and into the playground itself. The voices from the children could be heard much more loudly now, and many even asked ‘Would you come play with me?’

They stopped once they were in the middle of the park close to the swings, the mist falling around them.
‘So what do we do now?’ Madison whispered, moving her hair away from her face. Sarah glanced at her, and for the first time noticed a black indentation on her hand shaped as a bat. She brought up her own palm to her face and saw that she too held the same markings as Madison had, and wondered what they were or at least what did they mean.

Just as Sarah was about to ask Ryley and Madison what her markings meant, a ball of white magic came from the fog and threw Ryley across the playground. Madison and Sarah stood their ground, their bodies tense and ready for any swift action, and Sarah’s weapons tight in her grasp as she stared around her for any suspicious movement.

‘Ryley, are you all right?’ Madison called, her eyes a brilliant glowing green, the pupils but a mere thin line.

‘Of course I’m all right, I’m just going to destroy this child when I get my hands on her, that’s all.’ Ryley growled ferociously. He leaped high into the air, landed with Sarah and Madison, his grin nasty and mean, but also giving them all encouragement.

‘Why are you people here, and what is it that you desire?’ asked a feathery voice close by, however not close enough for them to catch a foretaste of. Sarah and Madison glanced at each other and nodded.

‘We have been sent here to retrieve a portion of the silver crystal, orders from Lady Hillary of Moonlight.’ Sarah told to no one.

Laughter could be heard from the child, ‘Ah yes, Lady Hillary, my good friend of so many years, she told me that students from the school would be here to collect this piece before Vladmire did… however, I must first test you to know if you are indeed who you three claim to be. You can never know when Vladmire's men are around, and of course, you can never trust anyone. I am sorry for this inconvenience, but we must engage in battle before I will give you what you desire.’ She nearly whispered, her whispery voice drifting away with the wind.

She stepped out from the fog with a brilliant smile on her pale lips, her hands gently clasped around a misty orb. Her shoulder length hair was pure white, with two clips to hold them back from her face, her eyes were nearly as white as her hair, but you could faintly see the distinct colour of grey in her eyes. Her features seemed as if it were made of porcelain, so flawlessly sculpted and attractive and just the tint of colour in her cheeks. Her dress hung loose on her, fell to the ground, and looked as though it was made from an Asian woven thread, the sleeves longer than her arms all together. And of course, Sarah caught the distinct glimpse of pearl white vampire teeth in her mouth, one of the most important features of this child.

The child giggled, and as her laughter echoed across the playground, black silhouettes climbed out of her orb, screeching as they did so.

‘If you can learn how to defeat my shadows, then I will give you your crystal,’ she paused and glanced towards the sky, her eyes blank and expressionless. ‘Also, I would recommend the intention of you three to try and hasten before the sun’s rays obliterate you.’

‘I have no idea what the hell she just meant, but I get the gist of the sun part that’s for sure,’ Madison quipped, as she viciously snarled and bared her teeth at the shadows. They hissed and swiped at the group, taunting them as they circled around waiting for them to make the first move.

‘Hillary said that our weaponry cannot touch them…’ Sarah reminded Madison and Ryley, ‘So what could we do or use to make them disappear?’

‘How about magic or psychic powers?’ Madison answered.
‘Well duh Madison, that’s why Hillary told us that, so that possibly you could get that through your thick skull and use you psychic abilities!’ Ryley snapped back in reply. Madison growled menacingly under her breath.

‘Flare!’ Sarah yelled finally, throwing her hand at one of the shadows. The shadow screeched as the flames burned it away and left nothing behind.

Ryley chuckled, ‘These things will be easy, they barely even attack us.’

‘Hmm, it appears that you already knew that magic works quite well with my shadows, so now let us take it up a notch, get ready.’

The girl began chanting a foreign language, her eyes still blank, causing the shadows to move faster around them, and to disappear and reappear like nothing. Ryley’s cocky smirk disappeared and was replaced with an angry sneer that made his eyes blaze.

‘No worries, we can take them.’ he spat, his palm ablaze with fire in one palm, and water sloshing around in the other. At the moment, Sarah, Madison and Ryley only knew the two elements in magic, fire and water, and only the basic attacks with them. For the fire element, Sarah knew ember, flare, and flamethrower. Moreover, for the water element, there was only raindrop, and water blast that expelled a long stream of water.

They approached at a vicious speed, their arms clawing at the group, as they would sweep down on them, then fly away into the fog by the playground. Sarah’s cheek was sliced open with a spur of blood leaking out instantly, causing what looked like tears to fall down Sarah’s graceful face. Sarah stumbled backwards, the air in her chest giving way. Sarah’s eyes suddenly snapped open as she stopped in the air, then shot up, landing delicately on her feet. Her eyes a magnificant bright aqua glow. They seemed to call on the demons with anger-filled glare that seemed as if they could petrify you. Madison’s hair was ripped from her skull as the demons stole away a handful of hair, her sheer cry echoed in the playground, and seemed to go on forever.

Madison’s eyes immediately began glowing even brighter green than ever before; the glow covered Madison’s entire face and gave her an eerie radiance as she bared her fangs in remonstration.
Sarah withdrew her bow and arrows from their sheath, lit a flame upon one arrow and slung it on her bow. Her eyes were determined and damp from tears, but she did not grimace as she allowed the arrow to release from her sling and sink deep into a demon that flew nearby. It quickly was engulfed in flames and eventually just became dust on the ground, his brothers screaming above as Sarah, Madison and Ryley took out each demon one by one.

Though it appeared as though the three had the upper hand, the demons they were a lot swifter, and it seemed that they were able to read the three’s mind to see how they would attack next. It was lucky that Sarah and Madison could communicate telepathically because they would plan in advance and double team and take down the demons together. Ryley could sometimes caught a drift of what Sarah and Madison were conversing about and would usually run and join the fight, his large sword surrounded by a black flame.



At the end of it all, Sarah had many bleeding gashes that were caused by one swipe from the demons claw, her eyes had blood in them from wounds around her eyes, and she just felt so weak that she could nearly faint. Madison had a broken arm from being carried away by a demon, and then dropped back to the earth when she used her magic to slaughter the ghastly creature. Ryley was pretending not to notice the pain, but you could just glance into his eyes and see how almost frightened he appeared; his profound darkness had went away and was replaced with a childish stare filled with the fright of being lost.

Sarah breathed deep as she glared at the girl who stood nearby, her white eyes cocked with curiosity at Sarah, Madison and Ryley as she slowly dropped her orb to the ground. Her head titled on the side as she slowly opened her mouth to speak to them.

‘I… I lost?’ she asked herself quietly. ‘How could this be possible, you three are only mere twelve year olds that have barely been within Hillary’s Moonlight School, so how could you beat my demons when others you age would not be able to?’

‘We well won, so now we’re going to ask you for that crystal now.’ Ryley scoffed, crossing his arms over one another. The girl hesitated for a moment, then nodded and began chanting at the orb that was held in her palms. An insignificant piece of the crystal shard melded out of her orb and merely hung in the air.
This was the first that Sarah, Ryley or Madison had seen an actual crystal shard, and even though Sarah thought it would be easy not to think about taking it for herself, those darks thoughts whispering in Sarah’s ear. She stared at the crystal curiously, trying as hard as possible to ignore those thoughts. She knew deep down that she would never try to use it of course, and deep down she knew that she would truly be the one who would stop Vladmire by using the crystals magic.

Ryley and Madison however heard those quiet little hisses of whispers much more than Sarah did, it played around with their mind and made them only capable of watching the crystal as it began to float towards Sarah. Her necklace began to glow as the crystal neared her, but only Sarah noticed it. She watched as the crystal melded inside of her necklace, the light dimming already as it disappeared.

‘Well, the crystal is safe now, so we should head back to the portal before the sun comes up.’ Sarah said casually, not taking notice of how Ryley and Madison’s eyes were glued to her necklace, a distant shine of a dark radiance emitting from them.

Suddenly the little girl started giggling in her childish manner, tears streaming down her cheeks showing that something was not right. Ryley finally pulled his eyes away and glanced at the girl, his eyebrows cocking in his arrogant manner.

‘What’s so funny?’ he asked.

She still giggled as she lifted her forefinger to the sky, the tears still not stopping as they dripped to the ground. Sarah, Madison and Ryley sucked in a breath of air of anticipation as they gradually turned around. Bright sunrays were slowly making their way down the buildings towards the vampires, sunrays while each was in their vampire form.

‘RUN!’ Ryley screamed as he began bolting out of the schoolyard and from the way they came. Sarah and Madison kept quite close behind.

Sarah skidded to a halt and glanced back at the child, still draped in her pure white clothes, her face still dull as she watched them run away. Sarah watched in horror as the sunlight began shining on her, the flesh bubbling and melting away, her screams entering Sarah’s ears forcing her to cover them. Her sharp finger nails digged into the little girl’s face as she burned away, the sunlight still approaching Sarah as she backed away, her gaze still fixated on the little girl who was now just a pile of nothing in a school park.

So that is what happened when a vampire was in the daylight, they would actually melt and burn away, it did cause damage and so much pain.

‘Sarah get out of there!’ Madison yelled, already quite a ways ahead with Ryley. Sarah snapped out of it and began running with all her strength, her feet almost seemed like they didn’t even touched the ground when she ran.

The sunlight was catching up fast; Sarah was not running nearly fast enough to get away.

‘Sarah!’ Madison screamed from the trees ahead, her hand reaching for Sarah in a desperate attempt to help her. But it was too late, the sunlight had caught up and bathed Sarah in a gentle warmness as she grimaced and readied herself for the horrendous pain.
Nothing happened.

Madison and Ryley gasped and slapped their heads in stupidity, had they all forgotten that Sarah was lucky enough to get Hillary’s own necklace, a necklace that would allow her to be in her vampire form during daylight. Sarah grinned mockingly at Madison and Ryley as they all kept running in the woods, the two avoiding as much of the sunlight that peaked in through the trees. Their arms and legs were burned in tiny spots here and there from the sunlight, but there were no serious damage.

Through the portal once again and back to their own land, Sarah wondered about the child and what exactly happened to her. Why did she not run when she saw the sunlight coming in the sky above? So many questions wandered her mind as the portal slowly brought images from the forest around moonlight nearer and nearer. Ryley and Madison were certainly different when a crystal shard was around, was everyone also so obsessed with the crystal, or was it just them? Also Simon still crossed Sarah’s mind at almost every moment, she saw his smile, his dark shining eyes, his lips, his beautiful and unique hair. The way he moved and laughed just made Sarah smile, and Sarah couldn’t help but notice the way that Simon would sniff the air or the way his head would perk when he heard even the most quiet noise.

She made up her mind, tonight she was going to see Simon whether anyone liked it or not, it hurt deep inside to think if something terrible had happened to him. What if Colby had gotten to him, or a dark werewolf had tore him to pieces like they had tried before...

Sarah shivered at the thought, and hugged herself as the forest around Moonlight school engulfed her and brought her back to the world she now knew as home.




‘I give you three my deepest thank you’s and I hope that you are all quite safe and not harmed.’
Sarah, Madison and Ryley each glanced at each other with cocked eyebrows examining their wounds on their faces and other places on their bodies, especially the burns that Madison and Ryley had from the sunlight. Hillary smirked knowingly as she most likely read what they were thinking, her eyes observant and twinkling in the moonlight. She chuckled slightly as she raised her hands and allowed the crystal shard to be removed from Sarah’s necklace and into her own body for safe keeping until later on.

Neither Hillary nor Sarah noticed how Serge, Ryley and Madison watched the crystal out of the corner of their eyes, the white shine reflecting off their blank pupils. Madison was the only one who was able to pull her eyes away only to stare at the floor determinedly. Ryley and Serge however were staring from the corner of their eyes still, their hoods just hiding their facial features.

When the crystal delved deep into Hillary’s body its brilliant shine now gone, there was an almost inaudible sigh of relief from Madison, Serge and Ryley. Sarah frowned at Hillary; however, Hillary merely had a small narrow smile on her lips as she brushed her finger across them. Sarah nodded in return.

‘So, do we need to go to class now Hillary?’ Ryley finally asked casually. Hillary pondered for a moment.
‘Well, since I believe you three did such a wonderful job today, I will allow you three to head home,’ Hillary paused and glanced at Sarah, this time her eyes icy cold, her lips straight and mean. ‘And when I say head home, I do mean it, you all know how dangerous it is out there and Vladmire's men might know that you went to retrieve a piece of the crystal. If that is so, then they will be looking for you, not thinking that I will be keeping it, and that will not be helpful to any of you, may I not remind you of what happened to Damien?’

Hillary gazed at all of them, but no one except Serge returned her gaze or replied back to her, the air around Sarah stiffled her as she cleared her throat, but remained silent. Ryley and Madison glanced at each other, then peered over at Sarah who stood behind them, her arms crossed and her blue eyes casting the same eerie glow as it always did.

‘Don’t fret Hillary, everything will be fine.’ Madison assured. Sarah bit down on her lip unconsciously and stared at her grandmother, fearing of what would happen if she were to pull her eyes away. She focused on keeping Simon locked deep away, it was a place where no one, not even Sarah could break into. Hillary would dare not look where all of the memories that Sarah could not remember were placed, there were too many dark things hidden there that Hillary would most likely never want to see again.

For example, when Anna’s family had been murdered, Sarah had placed whatever images she had seen into that dark place never wishing to see them again. The death of a close friend, plus the deaths of an innocent family had raged Sarah and made her feel as if her heart bled for them.

But there were other memories that haunted her, memories that made Sarah always wonder whether they were hers or not. There was never any recollection of these memories, nothing, ever, and usually Sarah could have a hint of what had taken place. But not with some of them, some were short blurry clips that simply confused Sarah more than ever. There were times when distorted screams evaded Sarah’s dreams, and left her dazed and damp with sweat, and others when there would be Vladmire (or so she imagined) heavily cloaked so that you were only able to see those eyes, those scarlet eyes with always an angry glare.

Whatever they meant, Sarah might never know. There were things in life where their only purpose was to torment you and leave you in a mystery of suspense, and this might be one of them.

Sarah sighed deeply, her exhaled breath just visible in front of her. She blinked with confusion, only realizing then that it was becoming a bitter cold in Hillary’s office, her body beginning to shiver uncontrollably. Sarah and Madison both glanced at each other at the same time, their eyes narrowed suspiciously.

<Madison, I think that it is time for us to depart now.> Sarah said telepathically. Madison gave a short nod so that she would no indict anything to anyone else in the room, her finger grazing the side of her temple delicately.

‘Well, if it is all right with you Hillary, we’ll all be taking off now.’ Madison said warmly, her face pulled into a tight and nearly fake smile as she tried to hide the cold that she was feeling. ‘I’m sure that my mother is quite worried about me, she did know that tonight would be my first mission and all, she must be waiting for me now.’

‘Of course you three may leave,’ Hillary mustered brightly, ‘Thank you all for an excellent job once again. Serge, can you escort these three to the grounds please?’

‘Of course Lady Hillary.’ Serge said as he bowed to Hillary. Sarah brought her tongue across her lips as she stared almost eagerly at Serge's fingers as they swiftly crossed his chest, and then tightened to a closed fist. His hand had extensive fingernails that pointed out at the tip, but what had truly caught Sarah’s eye was the fact that in the crevice of his nails, there was dried crusted blood.

<Why must you stare at me Sarah, anything interest you about me once again?> Serge's voice rang through Sarah’s head as she quickly pulled her eyes away only to look into his own black eyes that tried to penetrate her. <Hurry along now Sarah, wouldn’t like to be left behind now would you, oh that would truly be a terrible fate.>

Sarah sneered at Serge, and followed her two friends and that creep down the hallway, her thoughts wandering away into a certain bliss that no one noticed. Ah, how the night was still so young and mischievous, plenty for Sarah to do still, and she wasn’t about be bothered with what anyone thought about it.



Sarah was very cautious when wandering through the trail towards Simon. Her distinct senses were top notch as every branch that snapped made Sarah’s eyes always narrow with suspicion.

Even though Madison had gotten angry at Sarah for what she wanted to do, and had warned her very nastily that she shouldn’t go, Sarah had still ran away from her friends to check up on Simon.

Sarah’s necklace bobbed on Sarah’s neckline as she sneaked around almost silently, the crystal still within her necklace and making Sarah feel more confident and powerful with it. Deep down she knew that if she were to be attacked, she would be ready to fight until the death just to save the crystals, and give up her life just as Anna had.

Sarah slipped around a bend, her cloak shadowing her figure as she rested against a tree and stared at Simon’s cabin home. The inside was dark, the chimney did not emit any smoke, and nothing moved within as Sarah scanned it.

Should she go inside? What possible thing could she find inside Simon’s home?

She bit her lip as she went to his door, and carefully opening it and slipping inside moving the door shut behind her. Moonlight entered and shimmered in the room, but there was no sign of Simon, or anything that Sarah wanted to find in his first room.

She wasn’t sure, but her ears caught the strange sound of a dog whimpering in the bedroom down the hallway. Sarah paused and moved on, the sound becoming more distinct and she peeked into the bedroom.

Simon’s silhouette was just visible, his hands gripping his hair as he huddled against the wall. ‘Simon?’ Sarah whispered so softly. Simon immediately stopped sobbing and cocked his head as he usually did. ‘It’s Sarah, I’ve come to see if your alright.’

‘You… shouldn’t... be... here.’ Simon growled in replied, ‘You need to get out of here now, get out and don’t come back.’

‘And why should I have to leave, I want to know what is going on.’ Sarah could hear the stubbornness icy in her voice when she spoke.

Simon growled and dug his fingers into his head even deeper, and that’s when Sarah noticed that blood dripped to the floor around Simon. She gasped quietly. She moved closer and put her hand on his shoulder to comfort him, hoping that Simon would respond and explain everything that was going on.

‘Simon...’

‘No, get away or I’ll hurt you.’

‘Hurt me how?’

Simon stayed silent at this, his breathing raspy and harsh. All of a sudden Simon growled low and deep, and Sarah watched in panic as Simon’s backbone rippled underneath his shirt, and how his ears began growing and becoming pointed like an elf’s. She knew then that maybe she should have listened to Madison for once and not have come here, Simon was becoming a werewolf, but this was different, this was frightening.

Simon turned around to Sarah and gripped her arms so tightly, digging his nails into her skin that blood spurted out carelessly onto the floor. Sarah grimaced slightly as she stared up into Simon’s eyes, hoping that maybe there would be recognition in his eyes and that he would stop this.

‘I need blood.’ Simon hissed into Sarah’s ears. She tensed as his breath creeped along her neck threateningly.

‘I don’t know why your doing this Simon, but I won’t allow you to attack me like this, you can’t.’ Sarah hissed back, her anger bubbling up inside. Both pairs of eyes were glowing ferociously as Sarah whispered ‘I will fight you if you attack me, so please just let me go now.’

‘Never.’

Simon threw Sarah onto the bed causing her to hit her head against the bedpost, but that did falter her as she leaped back up and faced Simon. ‘It’s me Simon, it’s Sarah, don’t do this!’ she screamed.

Simon growled at Sarah as he moved around the bed, his eyes had an unfathomable darkness within it, but Sarah did not back away. Tears did fill her eyes, but they did not stain her cheek. She tried to throw a red ball of magic at Simon, but he dodged it faster than she imagined and had hoped for.

Sarah felt her body suddenly became quite warm as she glared at Simon, distant and almost non-existent tears faded out of her eyes, now her anger was taking over with intensity that she could handle. She knew that she would lose control, and that might cause Simon to lose control and attack her as well, and that was not something that she wished to happen.

‘Okay Simon, you want to do this your way, you allow the darkness to take over you and not give a shit about what happens, and this is not how it works Simon, I am going to have to stop you.’ Sarah muttered. Her eyes glowed fiercely now as she began moving along the bed, the fire in her hand licking its way up her arm angrily, her magic within her almost communicating with Sarah and feeling her anger. Simon’s eyes glowed red, the colour of eyes that portrayed the dark werewolves and consumed their hearts. Her grinned nastily at Sarah as she advanced on him and lifted his arms into the air, taunting Sarah, calling her on.

Sarah screamed as a flamethrower suddenly erupted in her hand towards Simon, and with the other hand, she withdrew her martial arts weapons and shot them also at Simon. The flames singed Simon’s hair as he had barely enough time to move out of the way, but in the way of Sarah’s second attack. The first star caught Simon across the shoulder, ripping whatever material he had that hung on; the second just brushed his chest, and the third cut open Simon’s cheek instantaneously as it flew right by his face. His face was soon the colour of crimson blood as she tried to wipe away the blood from his wound, but that only smeared it more on him. The blood only made Simon appear more ferocious and dangerous, the look and appearance that a true dark werewolf had.

He looked down at the blood on his hand with a curious wonder, eyes narrowed but blank, and then moved his eyes to Sarah. He shut his eyes for a moment, Sarah noticed how they quivered uncontrollably, and when he opened his eyes once again, tears pour out of his eyes and onto the dusty hardwood floor on which he stood on. Then Sarah did something that she should have never even thought about... she reached out and wiped away Simon’s tears and blood away from his face.

Simon suddenly leaped with such speed and force that Sarah was knocked backwards onto the bed, the air in her chest gone and her lungs grieving for oxygen, with a swift movement around Sarah’s arms, he brought his teeth into Sarah’s delicate pale neck. Sarah gasped with pain, her gleaming intense eyes pulled into a traumatized gaze as she watched Simon fest away on her blood. Simon took as much blood as he needed from Sarah, then pulled his head back and howled deeply into the night, he had his prey, and he had his blood for tonight.

Sarah wondered if she was going to die, she wondered how many other innocent lives had to be sacrificed just to satisfy the blood craving of a hungry werewolf. Would Sarah end up in such a desperate situation one day, so hungry for blood that she would attack someone close to her and give up whatever dignity she had to being a pitiful vampire that she was? Was it being pitiful if this is what everyone knew and expected of you, and this is just how you were, Sarah couldn’t answer that.

Even heroes had their dirty little secrets, and even if Sarah had her own little fairy tale story of saving the world and finding her prince charming, she would always be a vicious murderer, and for some reason, she liked that dark idea.
As Sarah felt the weary darkness that was overwhelming her, she watched Simon for as long as she could, still in shock that he would do this, then eventually fell into unconsciousness.

She did not hear Simon weeping afterwards as he began scratching away at his arms and stomach, doing anything he could to put himself through pain. To him, this was life, and this had always been the only way to solve your problems… destroy everything around you, because it did not matter. But this time, it did.



© Copyright 2006 fallen angel (UN: vc_andrewsfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fallen angel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/438565-Chapter-10-A-Vicous-Hunger-Never-ending