*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429477-Food-for-Thought
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#429477 added May 30, 2006 at 9:22am
Restrictions: None
Food for Thought
At church on Sunday they had a guest speaker who is a Chaplin in the military. He had many interesting stories to share, but the message he was trying to get across was truly powerful and got me to thinking.

I don't recall the specific wording he used, but basically said to live a life full of meaning. He referenced two of the memorial services he gave for fallen soldiers. One soldier was around 30 and died in a military car accident. The chaplin went to ask his platoon about him so he could speak about him at the service. The best they could come up with is, "he could out drink anyone and he died with a porno magazine in his pocket so at least he died happy." Mind you these guys were together for 7 months and that is the most they knew about him. At the service the mother was there and very angry...she blamed the military for killing her son.

The 2nd service was for a 28 year old that died in a plane accident. The chaplin was in the states and was called overseas to perform the service. He arrived and met the parents who were so thankful he came. Unlike the last service, the parents were very accepting of what had happened and told everyone not to feel sorry for them. They were blessed to have such a wonderful son they were able to share a life with for 28 years and they were very proud he died while serving his country. The soldiers that served under him were all in tears and said for the last week they were at a loss. They said he was the type of person that went out of his way to help people and to make sure everyone was okay, which was especially important while they were away from their families for a year at a time. The list of things people remembered about this soldier went on and on, but all were meaningful.

The chaplin said the main difference between the two services is the first one was celebrating the loss of a soldier, but the 2nd was celebrating the life of a good man/son/soldier.

Although I do not like to think about my death, or death in general, I've decided I need to make sure my life is more meaningful so I am able to leave my family and friends with something to rejoice when I am gone.

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429477-Food-for-Thought