*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428872-
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1111428
Jamie, the new Superboy, helps residents of a community that is stricken by a hurricane.
#428872 added May 27, 2006 at 3:59pm
Restrictions: None
H U R R I C A N E G R E G O R Y– Part 31
Clark nodded. “Only Jamie is stronger than Greg. Greg’s physiology is basically Zyrtonian, not Kryptonian. And Zyrtonians, though related to Kryptonians, are actually far stronger. If Greg isn’t stronger than I am now, it’s only because he’s still a boy. But, by the time he reaches his teens, he will undoubtedly have considerably more strength than Wes or me, with our Kryptonian physiology. But my point is, Herb, even with all that power, emotionally Greggy is still a little boy, just like Jamie. And, like Jamie needs Lois and me, Greg is gonna need you and Amy more than he ever has before.”

“Herb, I’ve done my best to train Jamie and Wes in the proper use and control of their powers. Greg needs our help; mine, Jamie’s and Wes’. He must learn how to control his powers, and, if you and Amy agree, to bring his powers to bear to the benefit of us all. I would need to take Greg with me to the Fortress of Solitude to begin his training. In fact, over the next few months, I’d like to spend quite a bit of time with Greg, if that’s OK with you and Amy.”

Herb replied, “I don’t guess that would be a problem, Clark. As long as you can assure me he will not be seriously injured.”

Clark was amused by Herb’s concern, but recognizing his reservation as very real and legitimate, he concealed his mirth and answered as gravely as he could. “Herb, I understand your concern. It’s perfectly natural for you to worry about Greggy’s well being since you’re his father. But Greggy is about as close to indestructible as anything on this planet. Here, I’ll show you.”

In a blinding flash, Clark stood to his feet and removed his outer Clark Kent garb revealing his Superman costume underneath. Amy and Herb were both startled momentarily but they quickly recovered. Clark apologized. “I’m sorry. I know that quick change startled you. But I needed to demonstrate for you that I really AM ‘Superman.’ You both realize, don’t you, that no normal Terran could have done that?”

Herb and Amy didn’t to speak. They both just nodded.

Clark turned to Greg and smiled. “Could stand up right here for just a minute?”

Greg smiled back as he answered. “Sure, Mister Kent.”

He stood next to Clark. “Now son, I want you to stand back a couple of paces, place your fists on your hips and just set yourself up to get hit in the stomach. Tighten you abs for me. Don’t worry, Greggy, this is gonna hurt ME a lot worse than it’s gonna hurt you.”

Greggy nodded a little uncertainly, but he trusted Clark so he did as the man asked. He turned to his parents and reassured them. “Don’t worry Mom and Dad. Mister Kent knows what he’s doing.”

Clark thanked the boy for this trust and then reared back and hammered his abs with everything he had!

WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!

Greggy did not flinch. He did not move. After being hammered in the gut repeatedly by Superman, the ‘Man of Steel,’ the most powerful man on the planet, with more power in his fists than all of mankind had at its command, Greggy remained unmoved, riveted in place by his super-human power, will, and indefatigable boy-muscle.

Herb and Amy were stunned. Softly, Herb murmured, “You didn’t hold back, did you, um, Clark? Superman?”

Clark smiled. “When it’s just us, Herb, ‘Clark’ is fine. But if I’m dressed like this out in public, please, it’s ALWAYS ‘Superman,’ NEVER ‘Clark.’ And if I’m dressed as Clark, of course it’s never EVER ‘Superman.’ As for your question, the answer is no, Herb. I didn’t hold anything back. I hit Greggy with everything I had, and, as you and Amy saw, he did not even move. He’s just as powerful as Jamie!”

Greg grinned proudly first at Clark and then at his parents. “That was so cool! It didn’t hurt a bit!”

Amy asked. “But what about Greggy’s schooling?”

“Trust me” Clark chuckled. “School will become very easy for him! He’ll be able to do all his homework and reading and studies flawlessly in a matter of seconds!”

Amy and Herb talked it over between themselves. Finally, Herb turned to Greg. “Is this what YOU want, Greg? Do YOU want to go with Clark and learn more about how to use your powers the way he and Jamie and Wes do?”

Gravely, Greg answered, “Yes, dad. I really do. I wanna use my powers like Mister Kent and Jamie and Wes use theirs, to help people. And I wanna make sure I can control my powers so nobody gets hurt. And I need to learn how to keep this a secret so nobody ever finds out about me, like nobody’s ever found out about Mister Kent and Jamie and Wes. I really need this Dad. I want this!”

Herb asked. “And you promise to mind Mister Kent and do everything he says and to be careful?”

Greg nodded. “Yes, Dad. I promise. I’ll do everything Mister Kent says and I’ll be very careful.”

Herb asked Clark. “You’re sure you wanna take this on? Greggy can be a handful sometimes, even without his new super powers.”

Clark laughed. “Don’t worry, Herb, I’ve got two of my own, just like Greggy. And THEY can be a handful sometimes too. But, Herb, Amy, I promise the two of you, I’ll treat Greggy just like he was my own.”

Herb smiled. “Fair enough. Sure! You can take Greg with you!” Herb said with a smile. “And thanks Clark, for doing this for our son.”

Greg beamed, grinning like a little boy at Christmas. He could not wait to share the news with Jamie and Wes.

Clark left and drove home. Amy, Herb and Clark agreed that Greg should have supper with his parents and little sister, pack some clothes and a toothbrush and make his way to the Kent’s’ after the evening meal.

Greg arrived at the Kents’ townhouse a little after 9:00 p.m. He joined Jamie and Wes in Jamie’s room. They played a few hands of canasta and half heartedly played at video games for a couple of hours or so, but Greg was getting antsy. None of the boys were tired and they really didn’t need to sleep.

The three youngsters quietly left the house and flew off to a nearby neighborhood park. It featured and artificial lake with an earthen dam at one end. The boys landed on the bank and strolled around the lake. After about half an hour or so, Greggy groaned.

“Oh no, guys. It’s fixing to rain.”

Wes looked up and then back at Greg.

“No way dude; look up. It’s clear as a bell. There’s not a cloud in the sky.”

Greggy shook his head.

“Gee, I dunno” Greg said. “I just had this feeling like, well, like it’s gonna rain. I guess that’s impossible.”

The boys continued along on their leisurely stroll, laughing and joking as they picked their way along the shoreline. After about another fifteen minutes, the wind began to pick up while dark, heavy clouds rolled overhead. A thunderstorm was brewing, seemingly out of nowhere. Wes and Jamie looked up, then at each other and then at Greg.

Wes exclaimed, “I guess you were right, Greg, look! It’s about to start raining. Maybe we better get back.”

Greg looked up his gaze transfixed. A little absently he murmured. “Yeah, I guess now you guys can smell the ozone. But look, you can see it. The warm and cold air masses are colliding. Gee, its only September! Kind of early for a cool front like this don’tcha think? We shouldn’t be getting anything like this for another three or four weeks I wouldn’t think.”

Wes probed, “Greggy, what did you mean you could see it? What did you mean by that?”

To be continued


My website contains my works of science fiction and fantasy.

Check out my website at http://www.superfantasystories.com
© Copyright 2006 scriptboy (UN: scriptboy64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
scriptboy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428872-