*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/404921-Superbowl-in-Detroit
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#404921 added February 6, 2006 at 8:16am
Restrictions: None
Superbowl in Detroit
I am so proud of Detroit! After all the bad press we get on a regular basis, I must say all the people involved with this past weeks festivities did an awesome job. Detroit looked and felt incredible. The energy level was almost too much too handle!

On Saturday there were a couple groups of people talking about going downtown to experience the Winter Blast and the Super Bowl vibe! Mark, Lauren and I decided we would park at the zoo and take the shuttle down. It cost $10 to park and $2 each to ride, but it saved us the hassle of finding our way down there, finding somewhere to park, and Lord only knows what the cost to park down there would be.

Of course as we get there and look for our parking spot we notice the line goes on forever, not to mention it was snowing and raining at the same time. Tell me...how is a girl to dress warm, water-proof and cute all at the same time?! *Smile* The line took us 1 hour. Sitting on the bus was the happiest feeling I had in a long time...nice and warm!!

We got downtown and the snow/rain had not slowed down at all. Needless to say, the little we were able to dry off got resoaked in no time. The streets were alive...people everywhwere! At one point we were walking in an area the streets were blocked off and all three looked at each other and almost in harmony said, "I feel like we are in some other state right now."

We walked through the Winter Blast for a bit, found the food tent, which was all enclosed and heated...very nice! After eating from a couple different vendors, we started walking around finding a bar to hang out at for a bit. Everywhere we went had a line to get in...even the little bars, not just the club type bars. We finally stood in line to a bar we had all been in before, "Town Pump." Figured it would be a good starting point...could finally try to dry off and possibly warm up a bit while sipping on a drink. After about 20 minutes we got in..$15 cover charge! Mind you this is a place that is always FREE to get in. We ordered our drinks after making it to the bar 15 minutes later...prices were raised for those as well. One mixed drink was now $8...UGH!

We stood amongst a couple groups of people that after a few minutes we became part of. Everyone was so friendly and happy...it was GREAT!! If I didn't know any better I would swear we were in PA...everywhere you looked the people had Steelers stuff on. I was in Detroit for 7 or so hours and did not see one person supporting Seattle. Gold and Black was EVERYWHERE!!

I am now curious what type of press we will get now that the game is over. Hopefully this has helped the outsiders perception of our city. Honestly, we are not as bad as people think...just don't mess with us!!! *Bigsmile*


© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/404921-Superbowl-in-Detroit