*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/404371-Giving-too-much
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#404371 added February 3, 2006 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
Giving too much?
I have a dilema and each person I talk to just confuses the matter. Of course, it is dealing with my friend Sue.

I am the type of person that goes out of their way to help someone, even sacrificing things I may need/want to ensure they are okay.

As you may have read, Sue is recently out of rehab and as of last Saturday can no longer drive. Last Saturday I drove her around in the morning and took her for her test in the evening. I again drove her Sunday morning for her test. While at work she IM's me ALL DAY LONG...might be a mistake giving her my screen name! *Smile* Then on either Monday or Tuesday evening, while I was at work, she left me 3 messages within 1 1/2 hours. UGH!

Wednesday she had her out patient meeting, which is 3 hours long and she had her tether put on...a whole different story I won't bore you with, but lets just say she was proving all the blonde jokes may be true. She was supposed to have a ride home, but the guy didn't have his car and his mom was picking him up, which she didn't want to go with them. Mind you this place is only 1 1/2 miles from her house. She calls me 3 or 4 times to make sure I'd be able to pick her up.

Also, on Sunday she asked if I wanted to go to an exhibt they were having at the Art Institute. I told her I would letter her know. The exhibit was for bowls...hmmm, not sure about that entertaining me. Wednesday she asked if I minded if she went alone, which I replied "NOPE." *Smile* Then today she asked me if I was going to go. Huh, did she forget our conversation on Wednesday??? *Confused*

I told her I would pass, but sometime in the future I'd go down there with her. Then she asks if I'll be running errands this weekend. I walked away from my desk, came back and started working then realized I hadn't replied. She had replied again and said, "I mean...if it is not an inconvience for you..." So not only have I been nice enough to drive her around, listen to her on the phone and read all her IM's now I am being guilted because I didn't even reply soon enough or because I may have plans that I didn't clear through her schedule?! This is too much for me!!

I talked to a woman I work with who's daughter-in-law has been in and out of jail/rehab/AA multiple times and her sister went through AA...still going. She said they tell you that you need to learn to do things on your own, not to depend on others for rides or impose on them in anyway. You have to be responsible for your actions.

So now I am having a problem finding the fine line between helping and aiding. I can't just turn my back on her, but I don't get why she can't walk or ride her bike places. Heck, find the bus schedule and plan your day. She is depending on her few friends and cab rides. Any advice????

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/404371-Giving-too-much