*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399734-Strange-Situation
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#399734 added January 16, 2006 at 8:11am
Restrictions: None
Strange Situation
Last Wednesday Mark and I went to the bar to visit my dad, who happens to play darts every week there. They were having a customer appreciation night and were giving free food (that's a whole different story) and there was a nice crowd of people. Well, nice in quantity, not quality! *Smile*

A few weeks prior Mark and I had stopped in there. My dad has a friend I've known since birth who happen to be there with one of his friends that I was meeting for the first time that night. As with all my parents friends, he was nice and as a group we all joked/laughed and had a good time.

Back to this past Wednesday. My dad's friend (John) and his friend (Jerry) were there again, as were many of my parents other friends. We were eating, drinking, playing darts, chatting, and laughing...all was good. Until....Jerry gets a moment alone with me and tells me how nervous he is, but that he really would like to go out with me. The guy is very nice, recently divorced and my parents age. I was in complete shock hearing these words from him and didn't know what else to say, but "sure." We chatted for a few minutes, but then I started to try to get back in touch with the group of people. Each time I would move to another table to talk with someone else, 2 minutes later guess who was by my side?! I started feeling like I was back in high school and just said yes to the high school geek. Not that he is a geek or terrible looking, just not used to someone being attached at the hip!!

The next day I talked to my mom and brother about it. After Matt stopped laughing he agreed it was not a good idea...speaking from a man's point of view, he knew where it would lead. Talking to my mom, she said he was harmless and only looking for companionship. I told her if it was just a friend he was looking for he would not have been so nervous to ask me out AND he wouldn't have asked me out, he would have asked if I'd like to HANG out some time. She continued saying that it could be a good situation because he likes to go out and have fun and I would get to meet new people. I said yes, I would meet OLD people. Not saying my parents are old, but there is a 20 year difference we are dealing with. It is fine in there group functions and I enjoy talking with all their friends, but making them friends on my own...not sure about that.

Later that day I talked to my mom again and asked her to talk to my dad and to not give Jerry my number when he called to ask for it. I could hear she was disappointed, but she understood. I mean, I do understand that she wants me to increase my group of friends; however, this is not the way for me to do it.

Saturday, Mark spoke with our landlord telling him about our furnace acting up. He was calling our maintenance guy who was to call a furnance guy and giving him both mine and Mark's number to call. Not even 15 minutes later my phone rings with a number I didn't know. I typically won't answer those calls, but knowing the furnace guy is supposed to be calling, I did. It was JERRY!!! I was very annoyed, but tried to hide it as much as possible. He was nervous and talked a mile a minute. Telling me all about his grandkid. Yet another reason things wouldn't work out between us. I haven't even begun to have my own children let alone grandchildren!! We chatted for a few minutes and he asked if I wanted to go out that evening or the next. Luckily I already had plans for both nights. Then he asked about this week. I informed him I am working two jobs so I would have to check my schedule at work. I was trying to end the call prior to him getting around to that, but it obviously didn't work. I did end it right after that though. We were just in the middle of cleaing out the area near our furnance, so it was an honest excuse.

I instantly called my mom and expressed my unhappiness. She said that neither her or my dad had given the number out. John used that handy dandy contact list my dad is so kind to provide to EVERYONE!! UGH!!! My mom tried talking me into going out with him just once to see how it goes, but I don't foresee that happening. Why lead the poor guy on?! Now I have to did deep for the courage to call him back and let him know it is too weird of a situation and I would not be comfortable.

Am I wrong???

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399734-Strange-Situation