*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/391602-1-down-2-to-go-foreign-language-student-nightmares
Rated: GC · Book · Experience · #986464
reacting to what breezes or gusts by me
#391602 added December 9, 2005 at 5:31pm
Restrictions: None
1 down, 2 to go/ foreign language student nightmares
Turned in the German paper that was due today. It was supposed to be four pages, I had almost five, and I didn't really get finished writing it, just had to stop due to the approaching deadline. No congratulations deserved there, I'm sure it's chock-full of grammatical errors and unclear sentences, and besides that, it's only that long because I didn't really frame the study very well to start with. I think all my arguments are plausible this time though.

My personal re-occuring nightmare...the professor has written "unclear" or a simple question mark next to a sentence, and when I look at it again, I can't tell what the hell I was talking about there, either. Comes, probably, from flailing about for so many new words, as happens whenever one tries to discuss something they've never discussed before in a non-maternal language. Heck, sometimes happens in one's maternal language, too. I just hope most of the main ideas can still be extracted from each paragraph, and that the ideas aren't totally ridiculous and unsupportable.

My paranoia kicks in whenever I imagine any of my professors reading the papers I write, even though I know they're not going to sit there banging their fist to their forehead over how illogically I've argued a point, or even over how silly the point I'm arguing might be. That's just the image I project on to them as I'm writing, usually, because I always have the sneaking suspicion that I'm going to do something like that when I read the paper after I get it back. However, it's highly likely that anyone who reads student papers with such an attitude doesn't last very long as a teacher...they'd just get too annoyed too quickly.



J.H. Larrew
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **


© Copyright 2005 HawaiianPeach (UN: hawiianpeach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
HawaiianPeach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/391602-1-down-2-to-go-foreign-language-student-nightmares