*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388921-Holidays-with-Family
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#388921 added November 28, 2005 at 9:18am
Restrictions: None
Holidays with Family
Prior to Thanksgiving Day I anticipated Thanksgiving to be sad knowing it would be our first family gathering without my grandpa. My Aunt, Uncle and three cousins were coming to spend it with us so I knew there would be some distraction, which would help us all. Unfortunately the day they were to leave my uncle found out that his company would be doing some sort of merger and he was being forced to work that weekend. Needless to say they had to stay home for the holiday.

Surprisingly, the day was going very well and everyone seemed to be in happy moods or at least faked it very well. It didn't hit me until we were cleaning up the food and I realized the one dish we were missing...cranberry sauce. My grandpa was the only one who really ate it. I instanly got sad, but with everyone around I took a deep breath and put back on my happy face.

All in all, I thought the holiday's weren't going to be as bad as I had originally thought. Until Friday that is. Friday evening Mark and his sister thought it was time to start decorating for Christmas. We put up Mark's tree and then his sister started pulling out all our decorations for the house. There it was, the sleigh my grandpa had made me. This reminded me that the church he made me was sitting at my grandma's house unfinished and would remain this way as he was no longer here to work on it. I sat trying to carry on a conversation with Mark and his sister after we decorated for a few hours, but could not get my eyes to stay off the sleigh. Holding back my tears got harder and harder. I finally had to put the sleigh in the other room where I would not see it.

As much as I love my family and usually love the holidays, I am not looking forward to celebrating Christmas this year.

© Copyright 2005 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388921-Holidays-with-Family