*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/366193-slouch
Rated: GC · Book · Experience · #986464
reacting to what breezes or gusts by me
#366193 added August 15, 2005 at 12:45am
Restrictions: None
slouch
Don't know if my whacked-out sleep schedule last Thursday caused it, or the operation, or a combination, but I haven't felt up to going anywhere or doing anything much the last few days. Partly because of my marred neck, I've been hiding away in my house. I finally decided to try out a scarf in this Georgia heat & humidity and brave letting myself be seen. Took my youngest daughter to a coffee shop on the square in town, where I ran into some school buds.

I halfway knew I'd run into B. Couple of nights ago, I let my daughter talk me into setting up a page on a very popular "see your friends and let them see you" kind of website. I'd tried working one or two of those type sites before and never got very far, but I figured Constance could guide me around this one, since she uses it and knows it very well. I thought I'd heard B talk about playing on it, so I did a search, found him and added him to my friend list. All of that made me realize how much I miss seeing him around campus. He's always hanging around that particular coffee shop, so I called him to see if he'd be there today. He said he'd be there for a few minutes, and I was lucky enough to get there before he had to go.

I love the square. There are so many eateries that have tables and chairs out on the sidewalk. If you find a chair and sit long enough, someone you know and haven't seen for a while almost invariably arrives. There's a bookstore with a newsstand next door. There's a place that specializes in sandwiches that feature avocado slices and alfalfa sprouts...hippie food, one of my daughter's friends calls it. And there's that coffee shop. "Coffee Importers" they say. If I lived in walking distance, I'd be at one of those sidewalk tables every day, at some point.

Today, with my cup of dark coffee, I had a chocolate pyramid. They sat there behind the glass, looking so striking, just cocoa dusted chocolate pyramids. I asked what they were and the girl behind the counter said there was caramel and choclate mousse inside. My daughter and I decided to split one. She told my other daughter all about it and tomorrow the other daughter and I have to go back.

That little bit of getting out was good for me. Maybe I'll venture a little further next time.

I'm still tiring out way too quickly though. Maybe a silk scarf in this heat doesn't help. Plus, the more the day wears on, the more itchy my scar gets, and burns a little.

Better get over it soon. Classes start a week from tomorrow.

J.H. Larrew
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **


© Copyright 2005 HawaiianPeach (UN: hawiianpeach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
HawaiianPeach has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/366193-slouch