*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360801-Shush-Yo-Mouf
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #988356
2 Aries butting heads...some much needed perspective
#360801 added July 20, 2005 at 3:44pm
Restrictions: None
Shush Yo' Mouf
Dave comes from a family where everyone is constantly shushed by his mother. This is the direct opposit of my family.

In the first place, my family is ten times (and then some) bigger than Dave's family. I'm including my extended family -on both sides-. Absolutely no competition. Dave has one aunt. I have at least 10.

In my family everyone's yelling and laughing and you're always fighting to be heard. I never used to be able to tell when my mother was laughing or crying. My dad had us in hysterics at the dinner table at home or in a restaurant, almost causing me to spit out the water that I always seemed to just have taken a swallow of.

Whispering was obsolete in my house. I've never learned this trait well.

My parents were born entertainers. My dad is the funniest story-teller you'll ever find and my mother, she's just so damn engaging. Always laughing out loud. Constantly on the phone. We did anything and everything to be the center of attention. It was great.

See the difference between me and Dave is levels of embarassment. I'm not easily embarassed in public. I don't give a fuck if some stranger just saw me trip on the crack in the sidewalk. Or if me and my girls are talking loudly on the train and everyone can hear. It doesn't faze me.

Dave, however is a little too focused on what people think. He always wants people to think of him positively, which is good. Just don't let it rule your life and actions. Relax. Everyone's not always taking notes.

Once, we were in my car having just pulled up to the curb outside his grandmother's house. We were watching one of the nosiest neighbors the block who lives two houses to the right of Theodocia. I said something to him -I can't remember what- and he was like, "shhhhh keep your voice down."

We're in the car. Windows rolled up, talking on the low side, even for me. She's an OLD lady, there was NO way she heard us.

"Do you really think she can hear me?"

He smiles. Although I could tell he really doesn't think she could hear us, I saw that worried look in his eyes...maybe she can, he thinks.




can you hear me?


p.s. aren't the people who shhshh others usually louder then the "offender"?




can you hear me now?




© Copyright 2005 posturechick (UN: folade at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
posturechick has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360801-Shush-Yo-Mouf