*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/359650-Chapter-2-Before-and-After
by Amanda
Rated: E · Book · Teen · #989694
With a name like Porsha Star Taylor,I thought i had to be an actress, until I met Calvin
#359650 added November 8, 2008 at 4:20pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2: Before and After
The next morning I woke up, excited about my project that day with Josie. My Before and After WAS Josie! I'd take her shopping with my sylists, get her hair and make up done by my hair and makeup guy, Tarzan, and I'd fix that stuttering problem with my Dialect Coach, Stacy. And all I would have to do is get a disposable camera and take pictures of it all! This advanced photography thing would be a breeze! Plus, Josie would forever be indebted to me, and would therefore help me pass this class! Sometimes, I shock myself with my genius!

I cleared my schedule with Mother that morning, explaining that I had a project to do and that Lionel could take me where I needed to go. She reluctantly agreed. She had always belived my career came before school work, but my father had talked her into otherwise.
Smiling my gleeful smile I got ready for the day and Lionel took me to school. When it came time for 1st period, I practically skipped into Mr. Alexander's room. Then, remembering the deep and angsty students, I quickly surpressed my happiness, and tried to be as troubled looking as possible.

The boy named Calvin was there again today, so I decided to try and talk to him again.

"So," I began, turning towards him, "Are you a big broadway fan?"

He looked up at me with a studying glare and replied, "Look, Little Miss Starlet, I know what kind of games you play. Everyone here does. You use people to get what you want , and once they've done all they can for you, you dispose of them like a used tissue. You've had everything given to you on a silver platter, while some of us had to work for what they earn. So, don't think for one minute that your good looks and perfect smile are going to get you any favors with me,"

I sat there, shocked. I'm pretty sure my mouth was hanging wide open too. He was the first person who dared tell me somthing like that. He was just jealous because I was obviously better than him. I had plenty of connections without him.

I gave a short 'humph', before turning to Josie who just arrived in the room. She told me that she couldn't wait to work on our project. She still didn't know what it was, and was begging me to tell her what it was.

Giving her my secretive smile, I told her that she would have to wait until the end of school. Thankfully, again, he squeal of delight was maked my the bell ringing for class to start.

Because of my extreme fatigue the night before, I hadn't finished any of the homework the teachers has assigned. Fortunantly, I told them my situation, and gave them free tickets to my opening night in Beauty and the Beast, and they were very symapathetic to my plight, and gave me an extension.

When the end of school finally came, Josie met me at the front of the school. She, naturally was in awe at Lionel and the limo. Wait till she saw what was coming next!

"Wait, why are we stopping at Barneys New York?" she asked me.

"Well," I said, "Our Before and After is you!

She starred at me wide eyed, and I explained my idea.

"But...But...how am i going to pay for all of this?"

I gave a nonchalant laugh. "Don't be silly! All these people owe me favors anyway!"

She gave me a look of disbelief while I grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the limo, in the store.

At first, she was reluctant to try anything on, but after a while, she reveled in all the attention that she was getting.

All the while I was snapping pictures of her shopping. After we finally decided on a blue silk skirt, white tank top, and blue flats, we went to the salon.

Tarzan gave her stringy oily hair a beautiful new cut and highlites, and once her makeup was applied, she was a whole different person!
Her eyes were suddenly big, brown, and almond shaped. Her cheekbones were high and gorgeous.

After thanking the people at the salon profusely, and promising to mention them in my speech when I won a Tony award, we left to go to Stacy, the dialect coach.

After much training, Jodie, went from studdering and shy to confident and cool.

At the end of the day, we got the pictures developed, and went back to my home to finsh the project.

I called ahead, and Bridget had already gone out and bought glue, foam board, and anything else we needed.

Once we got to the penthouse, we spread out all out materials on the dining room table and began to work.

"Wow!" Josie said, "My parents are never going to believe it when I tell them about my day!"

I laughed and asked her,"Where do you live?"

She suddenly looked down and ashamed. Had I asked somthing wrong?

"Queens," She said quietly.

I bit my toungue, she was embarrassed. And so was I for asking.

"I'm not the only one from Polk High School that lives there though, " She added quickly, "Calvin, he sits next to you in photography, he lives in the apartment next to mine!"

Calvin. I'd forgotten all about his blow-up today in class!

"What's his story anyway?" I asked her.

She looked unsure but told me anyway, "Well, he's had it rough. His dad left when he was only 8, and he was raised by his mom. She works at night as a waitress, but that isn't enough to pay for all their living expenses to he has a job at a pizza place downtown, and works their every spare minute he has."

That's why he'd blown up at me about hard work! Suddenly I felt really guily about what I'd thought about him. He was right. I had had it easy in my life. I never had to wonder if I was going to be able to pay a bill the next day or not. And, I did use people like he said. What was I doing with Josie just now? She was a great girl, and I was doing all this for her just to get an A.

Even after Josie and I finished the project, I was distracted. This would be the beginning of a new me. A better me. I was going to earn my way through life. I would have real genuine friends, who I could do all that friend stuff with.

Except there was one problem. I don't think I know how to be a better me. I was taught to be this was since birth, and I didn't know any different!
I would need help, and I knew just the people to ask.

"Josie?" I asked as I walked her to the front door, "Do you want to spend the night this friday? I mean, I have a dress rehearsal the next day for a show, and then I have to go to the premiere that night.....but you could come along-"

"Oh my gosh!!! Are you serious? I would absolutly love that!"

I was beginning to like this new me. Making Josie feel good, made me feel good, too.

I gave her a hug right before she left and I gave my first genuine smile in years. I had a friend. A good, true, wonderful, friend!
© Copyright 2008 Amanda (UN: frenchgirl98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amanda has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/359650-Chapter-2-Before-and-After