*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357865-Friends-facing-reality
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#357865 added July 5, 2005 at 10:41am
Restrictions: None
Friends facing reality
Thursday night Mark picked up his new vehicle. He wanted to drive around, but looked for a destination. So we decided to celebrate by going to have a drink at a bar/restaurant that is only 3 or 4 miles away. Can't put all the miles on in one day ya know! *Smile*

While we were up there my friend Sue called asking what we were doing. She decided she was going to join us since she lives only 3 or 4 miles away from there as well.

In total I believe Mark and I had 2 or 3 beers during the 2 - 2 1/2 hours we were there. Sue was there for 1 - 1/2 hours and had the same amount of drinks.

As we started walking in the parking lot she followed us to see Mark's new car. As we stood at the car a police car circled the parking lot. Although we had not drank a lot it still makes you nervous, not to mention the city we were in has a reputation for not so nice officers. We part ways and start driving away.

On our drive Sue calls me. She tells me that when she left the cop followed her out, but was driving next to her not behind her. She got nervous and pulled over to an empty parking lot and shut her car off. She watched the cop drive back the other way. She felt better and said she was going to head home, but wanted to hang up so she could concentrate. Before she hung up she mentioned she was going to call me on Friday after I get off work, since she didn't have to work and knew I got off early.

On my way home from work Friday my phone rang, it was Sue, but I was about to hit the grocery store so I let it go to voice mail with the intention to call her when I was done. She had left a message that did not sound like her normal happy self.

I called her when I got back to my car...she was on her way home from jail. I was in shock! She said when she left the empty parking lot the cops had been waiting for her and pulled her over. I told her how bad I felt that I didn't even offer to come get her. Honestly she did not appear drunk...I've seen her this way a few times before. She said it was her fault because she typically will hand over her keys, but on Thursday night she was thinking about driving by her new boyfriends house so she wanted to drive herself.

I also found out this is her 2nd DUI. She has a court date set for July 14th. She possibly faces 90 days in jail, 2 to 5 years probation, time in a rehabilitation center, losing her license for 1 year, and having to go for drug & alcohol testing once a week. If she looses her license she will loose her job since she is in sales. If she looses her job she will be forced to move up north where her family lives. Needless to say she is very down.

I realize she is going through a very rough time; however, the hard part is she has been calling me every day and all she talks about is what may or may not happen. I have been trying to stay positive for her and telling her not to give up hope until she goes to court to find out the final judgment, but it gets harder each day. I have no problems helping my friends, but this is a new situation for me and I am at a loss what to do or say.


© Copyright 2005 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357865-Friends-facing-reality