*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357262-Fairy-Parties
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#357262 added July 2, 2005 at 5:58am
Restrictions: None
Fairy Parties
I am very sad today. The day was lovely and my little girl had a chance to enjoy a friends birthday party. The sad part was that I learnt a terrible truth about the children of today. For the most part, kids (even 5 year olds) no longer believe in magic.

Today's party was for one of Kaylie's school friends. They had the party at a little store called Fairies Forever. They have party rooms and the kids dress up as fairies or wizards and enjoy lots of party games, party snacks and cake just like many young kid parties.

The hosts are teenage girls who dress up as fairies in lovely fairy dresses. At various stages during the party the girls tell the children to use their magic to make things happen, like turning the lights on or off, or to wake up one of the fairies. Admittedly these girls aren't very good actors but the kids don't even try to believe.

Kaylie does of course. I've told her all about the reality of magic and that it's everywhere. She might not be able to see the miracles but they are happening and she has the power to cause them. I believe fairies do exist, beyond normal human sight in the realm beyond the veil and this is what Kaylie learns.

It saddened me to hear children telling us that fairies and pixies didn't really exist at all and that magic wasn't real. Five year olds telling us that they are just in pictures. What parent denies their child the gift of wonder, magic, mystery, fantasy?

Why aren't parents introducing their children to fairy stories and movies like Peter Pan or the Wizard of Oz? These things send important messages for the self esteem of our kids. Peter Pan tells us that by stating unequivically that something is impossible, causes it to become so. Isn't that one of the great truths of the world? "You have to believe it to see it."

Basically, my heart breaks for the children out there who look with their eyes instead of their hearts. I hope that somewhere inside them there is a part that wonders and the adament denial is a front put on because they believe a part of growing up is to begin living in the 'real' world.

Meanwhile, Kaylie believes and I hope she always will. Someday, maybe she'll become attuned enough to see the angels and fairies too.

© Copyright 2005 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357262-Fairy-Parties