*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349527-Day-in-Court
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#349527 added May 26, 2005 at 8:37am
Restrictions: None
Day in Court
Yesterday was my long awaited court date. I arrived at the courthouse approximately 30 minutes early thinking I would have plenty of time to find where I had to go and do whatever it is you do before you start. Can ya tell I've never done this before?! *Smile*

To my surprise, there was a long line waiting outside the door. All I could think of was UGH...does this mean I am going to be sitting here all day?! As the line moved I found the first thing you were greeted with as you entered the door was a metal detector.

After that you were on your own to figure out where to go. My mind was too nervous to concentrate on every sign I saw so I asked one of the guys standing my the metal detector. He was not nearly as friendly as I had hoped, but he did direct me to the room I needed. There I signed in with a grumpy woman. Is it a mandatory qualification to work in the courthouse that you must be grumpy???

I find the court room I needed and was the 2nd person to arrive there. As I sat there I watched the room slowly start to fill. I looked at each person trying to figure out if they were there for a speeding ticket like me or if they did something much worse. I watch too much T.V.! *Bigsmile*

The first police officer arrives and I think nothing of it. He was a state policeman and the one who gave me a ticket was a city policeman. Then the judge appears. I was feeling pretty lucky at that point...no cop means possibly no ticket...YIPPEE!!!

The judge starts by telling us how they changed the laws in Michigan approximately 5 years ago and they are no longer authorized to put tickets under advisement or remove/lower points. WHAT?! That was my whole purpose of being there! He said it would be up to the officer. Hmmm, so if the officer isn't there then what??

I was the 3rd person called up there. They asked how I plea. I nervously stated, "I plea responsible." The officer asked to look at my ticket then told the judge he would reduce my speed, which gave me 1 point instead of 3. The judge then asks if I have anything I would like to tell him. Um, yea there were plenty of things I would have liked to say...I don't want any points, the expressway I was on is similar to the autobon (sp) in Germany and they are lucky I wasn't going faster, I'm a girl give me a break since I didn't cry, just to name a few. Instead I said, "no, not really." That was it, I had to go pay my $115.00 and called it a day.

Not as great as I had hoped, but at least my points were reduced.

© Copyright 2005 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349527-Day-in-Court