*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/347422-Fruits-of-the-Spirit--Peace
Rated: ASR · Book · Self Help · #949483
Are temperament and Mental Health at all related? A positive, spiritual view of self.
#347422 added May 16, 2005 at 11:05am
Restrictions: None
Fruits of the Spirit--Peace
There is no other fruit that is more misuderstood than peace, although love is a close second.

People of Sanguine temperament find this fruit difficult to incorporate into their lives. Many times, Sanguines will overload their schedule, not usually written, with activities that wish to involve themselves with. It gets burdensome to them that they only have so much time to burn for all that they want to do. Sanguines also wish to please everyone, seeking as many friends whom they can confide in. When someone gives them critical opinions about themselves, then they will often try to fit in, no matter what headaches it might cause them. Chasing other people's acceptance will not bring peace, but chaos. Absorbing the environment the way they do, Sanguines should try to associate with positive people. It will rub off on them. The one peaceful element of the Sanguine, however, is that they do not hold grudges, unless the situation was very dramatic. They may blow up in anger at you one day, and two days later, they'll give a hug and not remember the argument on either end. They are also very willing to accept forgiveness and do not concentrate on their past mistakes.

Most Cholerics wear a straight, stern face a majority of the time. It's not that they are unhappy, though. They, naturally, use self-motivation with positive self-talk. If they are not doing that, then they are on a path to accomplish whatever goal they have set for themselves at the moment. They see the bigger picture of what their actions will accomplish in the long run, and they have in mind who and who cannot help them achieve their goals. They are self-sufficient and often do not appreciate someone else telling them that there is an easier way to get their job done. They try to take on everything themselves, which makes it hard for them to accept salvation and the peace that comes with the in-filling of the Holy Spirit. The Apostle Paul had to be stricken with blindness before he gave in to God's will for his life. After reading Paul's writings in the Bible, everyone can see the power of this fruit of God's Spirit in his life. Paul didn't understand it, and he didn't try to, for he does see the big picture, afterall. *Smile*

Melancholies are desperately in need of this fruit. All of the problems and mistakes of yesterday are drowning out their positive self-images. Mulling over the past does not bring peace. Their contemplations, however, are focused on themselves, in the small details of "what if." They do not see the big picture, but rather concentrate on the details of a certain subject, which makes them accomplished researchers. They are often pessimistic when encountering a new situation, and often downgrade themselves in accomplishing what is asked of them. They often have to try to figure out the "how" in all situations, and God's Spirit is not someone who was made to be understood. Peace can escape Melancholies for lack of understanding. When they see God's power in their lives and how He can bring peace in the most compromising of situations, they are overwhelmed and give up in their analysis. The story of Moses, the most powerful prophet ever, illustrates what God can do with this beautiful temperament.

An outward showing of peace is exhibited by Phlegmatics. We do not get overly excited about anything. There is an "if it happens, it happens" attitude. We do not mull over problems again and again. We seek to escape them somehow. We are often quiet until we get to know other people. We do not jump into situations without watching it from the outside. We let problems bounce off our built-up walls, which is both good and bad. Appearances are not all they are cracked up to be though. A Phlegmatic may look peaceful on the outside, but be eaten alive inside with worrisome and self-defeating thoughts. We often do not worry about ourselves, however. We worry about our loved ones and our inability to do anything about their problems. We want to help them, but we feel we are powerless to change anything. We also tend to try to meticulously control the things in our lives we believe we can change, and worry about what we believe we have no power over. It is needless worry and grief, but, in the moment, it seems necessary. When we are told that our worries are pointless, we put up our stubborn wall and silently continue to go our own way. So, Phlegmatics are definitely in need of this fruit of the Spirit, even though it may not be so evident from the outside. Trust me, I can vouch for this internal anguish. But, I can also vouch for the peace that comes with the in-filling of the Holy Spirit. It truly cannot be understood, but I feel peace in the midst of the problems I encounter in my life, and I trust that my loved ones are in the Lord's hands. He can provide much more help than I ever could. I cover them in prayers, and pray that I may be an instrument, in any way that He deems possible, to help others.


Do you face any other problems in obtaining peace than the ones I mentioned here. Let me know, please. *Bigsmile*








© Copyright 2005 Beth Barnett (UN: angellove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beth Barnett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/347422-Fruits-of-the-Spirit--Peace