*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/343109-Chapter-3-A-Forest-Entry
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #963392
A story of Sarah Turner with vampires, wizards, werewolves and magic
#343109 added May 18, 2007 at 9:15am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3: A Forest Entry
Chapter 3: A Forest Entry


Down the stairs the two sisters glided, scarcely touching the steps as if they were floating and both had eyes narrowed and devious. Sarah was very fortunate that she had such light footing and an acute sense of hearing, because it helped them greatly from time to time. Sarah paused at the last step, listening to her mother cleaning in the kitchen. The only one, who could hear them when using their special feline steps, was their mother and father, and she prayed that her mother wouldn’t be suspecting anything.
Sarah heard her brother speak a few words to their mother, something about the school year that would be starting in two weeks, Sarah glanced back at Nicky, who was pretending to retch. Sarah subdued her giggles, and continued.

Jake, was their older brother who their mother approved of a lot more than she approved of the twins and he just adored getting the twins into as much trouble as possible, while he seemed to slip through the cracks. Jake entered the hallway, and headed for the den, not discovering Sarah and Nicky who were motionless on the last few stairs.
Sarah turned back to Nicky, and did a hand signal to her that she would circle around from the kitchen, Nicky nodded with understanding. The two split up, and Sarah slipped past the den doorway, and skidded into the kitchen, quickly falling to the floor and crawling without hesitation under the table.

Ever since Sarah could remember, they tormented their older brother Jake and he always tormented them back. He was an academic in school and a total snob at home, no matter what, but he was just jealous of the twins because they actually had friends, when all he had was his books. He always corrected their sentence structure, and even told them off in French, which was their father’s language as a child.

His nose was almost always in a book, and he scarcely ever watched TV, unless it was the news, or something logical. Furthermore, he hardly went outside, unless it was to go for a ten-minute swim to try and lose whatever piece of fat he had left. He possibly thought that getting a rock hard stomach would make girls notice him even though he was so judgemental and rude, all he wanted was someone pretty, slim, that kind of girl.
Jake wasn’t thin, or muscular, but he also wasn’t overweight either. He had a diminutive flab that was there since he was a child, and only now, he was losing. His hair was dirty blonde, mostly from the sun and a little long so that the ends were beginning to curl which was something it did when it was too long. His eyes were a chocolate cream colour, but were so dreary and dull as if you were looking down a long endless tunnel, nothing like their mother’s, who had so much life in them. He wasn’t very tall for his age of fourteen, but then again neither were Sarah and Nicky; they supposed that they were just all meant to stay short, but all three siblings prayed just to grow a few feet more so that they wouldn’t be ridiculed any longer. Anyway, the only things that made Jake look particularly cute were his hair, and maybe his full rose-coloured full lips. Other than that, he had his boring and droopy eyes that had dark purple bags underneath and his round baby face that always had an annoying sneer imprinted on it.

The girls looked more like their mother, except for their cerulean crystal eyes, which were large and expressive. Each daughter had the exact same diminutive facial features, and each had a splash of freckles that dripped down their noses and across their cheeks. It was only recently that Sarah noticed that she was beginning to differ from Nicky, and she thought that was quite strange. Could a person’s eyes change from a crystal blue to a darker colour at twelve and did your hair darken as you got older, or was Nicky just special? When Sarah and Nicky were only a few years younger, their hair was both a light blonde with not a stand of a darker shade within it, but now Nicky’s was becoming a more dirtyish blonde. Sarah’s was still the pale almost white colour that it had always been except for the fact that she had her black streaks in it. In addition, there was another thing that was curious; Nicky’s freckles were seemingly disappearing from her cheeks one freckle at a time. Now that Sarah thought about it, Nicky was beginning to look more like her father, with his brunette hair and dark blue eyes, and Sarah was pulling more to her mother’s side. Sarah had noticed that she was changing as well, but she thought nothing about it until now. Her eyes were taking a more of a lighter colour and her round face was sharpening to a graceful slope. It was probably nothing too serious, but Sarah did wonder why Nicky was starting to look different from her and if it was even possible that would happen.

Sarah thought more about their descriptions and sighed inaudibly. Their eyes were full of inquisitiveness and question, and looked so innocent that even the toughest immoral man would diminish from their penetrating look. It often helped getting them out of trouble with infuriated people when sneaking around. Nevertheless, even though their eyes were so soft and charming, they could quickly change from adorable to wickedness.

Even though the girl’s were twins and they had the opportunity to taunt people by looking completely alike and confusing them, they didn’t. Sarah’s hair was much shorter than Nicky’s, and she had put black streaks in it enhancing her blonde lightness and her own pale skin, and her bangs were split in the middle and spreading off to each side that almost fell right into her eyes. Nicky’s hair was long, nearly down to her waist, and instead of black streaks in her hair, she had dark red streaks that highlighted her fairness. She didn’t have any bangs like Sarah, but instead her bangs were cut halfway to the rest of her hair.

She only paused a moment to glance up at her mother. She was starting to make supper, and whatever it was smelled absolutely delectable, then again, it always was good. She was sure that if her mother saw her under the table, she would start to screech and lecture Sarah about being so sneaky and how that was just so weird, and Hope Turner did not want her daughters to be bizarre. So Sarah continued on her search for her brother, feeling like some sort of untamed cat on the prowl, her instincts sharp and heightened.

As soon as she left the kitchen, and entered the dining room, she rose again, staying close to the wall so she wouldn’t be caught. She saw Jake was reading what looked like a very complexed book, but not because it was thick, but because of the title. It looked like a foreign language to Sarah, something in science she supposed because that was Jake’s most excellent subject, and he said that he would love to be a scientist when he would be older.

Science was his favourite subject of course, and he got ninety-nine percent in it, which was what he pretty much got in every subject. Often he complained why the professor wouldn't just give him a hundred percent. And Sarah wondered why he wouldn’t just shut up and stop his whining; ninety nine percent is a lot better than her own grades that was for sure, hell if she ever got an eighty she’d be damn proud of herself. She sometimes wished she was able to snap a book onto his face so he wouldn’t lecture her anymore, so then Nicky and Sarah would be free to hang out without being ratted on.

From the corner of her eye, she just spotted Nicky, studying Jake with hungry eyes. Sarah nodded at her sister, and both pounced onto him, and at first, Jake didn’t know what hit him, and he screamed in sheer distress, throwing his book away. They loved it when they made him scream because he sounded so much like a girl, plus, Sarah for some reason adored hearing people’s cries and screams. She sometimes wondered why she did, because anyone else would cover their ears almost in pain, but not her… never her. Why did she have to be so different?

‘What’s the matter Jake?’ Nicky asked deviously. ‘Weren’t you ever touched by a girl before?’

Since he was yelling so shrilly, they were blessed that he didn’t hear that statement. It would have made his blood boil, and he would have quickly turned mean prevailing against the girls. Sarah, Nicky and Jake each had their own… anger problems, and when they were set off, nothing could stop them from destroying everything around them.
Sarah knew that the fact that he never had a girlfriend yet was the thing that would make him furious the most. though Sarah and Nicky have never had a boyfriend, even though many have asked them, Jake said it was different for boys. Sarah fully didn’t understand that, and she figured it was that way because boys were so full of pride, but it wasn’t the good kind of pride. They were just simply stubborn to her and so far, all the boys she met from school were stupid and obnoxious. The thing she hated most about boys is how most could be so sexist, like how one time a boy told her to stop playing boy sports and go clean which was all she was good for. The day when she would meet a boy who was not sexist, didn’t look at her with hungry lust eyes or was rude, she knew that would be the day when all hell freezes over she thought with a laugh.

Actually, most boys didn’t even look at how she acted. They didn’t know she loved to drive four-wheelers’ and skidoos; she didn’t care if she got her hair messy either, but all they cared about at this age were the looks, and they were only twelve, like for heaven sakes! She couldn’t even imagine boys at sixteen, she already felt sorry for herself and Nicky at that age.

This was the only subject that Sarah agreed on with her mother. Boys were so rude and thoughtless these days, instead of courting the girl they liked around like a queen, and most were so cheap, they wouldn’t even buy a girl a dollar gift, while the girl pays for him so much more. But no, the girl had to be attractive, or else they wouldn’t flirt or even talk with them. Every now and then, she felt as if her cute shy looks that made boys watch her was a curse, but that means her best friend Madison was condemned for life. Her gorgeous looks weren’t cute like Sarah’s and Nicky’s, but sexy and flirtatious, making boys practically drool at her feet.

Madison said she hated the way boys treated her, but then why would she always flirt like that with them? It was one of those questions that wouldn’t be answered for a long time, and Sarah hated when questions weren't answered, she was very impatient and stubborn with those kinds of things.



‘MOM!’ Jake screamed as deafeningly as he could. Sarah and Nicky let go of his shirt, and tried to scurry away from the room before they would be caught, but their mother was already in the doorway, her dark auburn eyes scorching snappily. The girl’s pressed against each other, looking as if they were attached, and held their breath, ready for their punishment.

Jake scurried over and stood next to their mom, looking smug and arrogant. He didn’t seem to realize that his shirt was somewhat ripped and his hair was ruffled furiously. The sight made Sarah want to burst out laughing, but she held it in and put on her sweet eyes as she batted her lashes with whatever dignity she had left.

Sarah could only wish that she could wipe that stupid idiotic smile off Jake’s face, but she held her ground and bit into her cheek, producing a trickle of blood. She had to admit, Sarah grinned when she tasted her own blood, it most likely seemed odd, but Sarah loved the taste of blood. But then again, Sarah knew many people who would lap up their own blood if they bleed, but how many people do you know who would actually try to make themselves bleed just for the blood?

Their mom crossed her arms over one another, and began to tap her black fingernails on her skin. The girl’s pulled even closer together, hoping their mom would think they looked so adorable and let them get out of trouble. Nevertheless, they knew their mom wouldn’t even give them a chance, it just never happened that way with their mother, she was always on Jake’s side no matter what they did.

‘What on earth did you two do now?’ she asked, looking at each girl for a hushed and thoughtful moment, a moment which gave the girls to make up some lame excuse, and usually both girls would have different excuses, so they were sure to be caught.
‘They just attacked me for no reason!’ Jake expressed irresponsibly, pointing an accusing finger at the twin’s.

Sarah and Nicky shrugged, hiding their resentment and responsibility, ‘We were only paying him back for what he did to us earlier,’ the girls said at the same time.
Sarah wished that their mom would turn to Jake and reprimand him for doing that, but she still glared at the girls, blaming everything on them, as usual.

‘Just because Jake did something to you, doesn’t mean you have to pay him back.’ Their mom lectured, shaking her head, ‘It’s not healthy for girls at your age; I mean you should be studying like your brother instead of sneaking around all the time or meeting boys help you god.’ She added heavily.

‘But haven’t you ever heard the expression an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth?’ Nicky asked. ‘Besides, I have been studying about the signs, and Picies usually like to pay people back when their hurt, I don’t know why, but they do.’ Nicky commented elegantly.

‘Just because the stars say that doesn’t mean it’s true!’ she flared, her enthusiasm for the subject burning hotter than a blazing fire, ‘It’s like magic, it doesn’t make sense and it’s not true!’

Sarah and Nicky glanced at each other inquisitively; their eyebrows rose high with interest... Whenever their mom brought up the word magic, she would suddenly end the conversation and storm away saying it didn’t exist.

That’s when Sarah was the most curious about her family. Something told her that their family was special, either that or… very interesting…

For a moment she still stared at her two girls’, but slowly it registered in her head that she brought up the word magic. Jake watched her with the same curiosity that Nicky and Sarah shared, because he too would sometimes wondered about his mother and father, or even himself.

‘What were the words that I just said?’ she asked, her eyes turning glossy and vacant. Something was going on inside of her, and Sarah didn’t want to stick around to see what would happen.

Nicky seemed to be thinking on the same lines as Sarah, and quickly replied, ‘You said that the sign’s aren’t true, remember?’

‘Do not lie to me Nicky, it will only just get you in worse places than you are.’


No one said anything for a moment, and only stared at her. She knew by their faces that she said it, and slowly her face began to melt to a horrified appearance. She glanced at Nicky, then Sarah and finally Jake, and then swerved back to Sarah as if Sarah had caused her to talk about magic. She stared at her for a while, and then went crimson in her face, and it also seemed that she was struggling with something amongst her thoughts and memories. She suddenly shuddered and winced, but other than that, she didn’t say anything else. Jake looked at his sisters, and then went and grabbed his book, resting on the couch, his eyes peeking over the top of his book suspiciously. Sarah thought that getting away as quickly as possible like Jake was a good idea, so Sarah pulled away from Nicky, and tried to pass by her mom without pulling her out of her strange trance that had blanched her face.

Without warning, Hope grabbed Sarah’s arm, and pulled Sarah into her trance leaving Sarah only a short gasp before she saw her home around her melt away.

‘Such a pretty girl Hope, why do you treat her as if she’s the worst thing to be born? Is it because every year she looks more and more just like me?’ a whispery voice said from her mother’s lips. It wasn’t her mom’s voice though; it was different, affectionate and sly, so much like her own voice that escaped her lips, but Sarah almost felt as if she recognised that voice, it was somewhere in her head, but she just couldn’t think of where it came from. A dark-blue colour that felt as if it were touching her surrounded Sarah, it felt bitter and wet on her skin, making Sarah’s arm tingle with apprehension.

‘No, it’s not because of that.’ Her mom’s voice replied with a deep and heavy sigh, a sigh that made her sound as if she were just giving up on everything. ‘I just hate the way she teases her brother, I hate the way that her and Nicky just always sneak around!’ her mom whined sounding like a six year old child who couldn’t get any candy or a toy.
‘Don’t lie Hope!’ the other voice roared, ‘I can read your thoughts, remember? You haven’t fully figured out how to stop the other’s from getting in. Oh, and just so you know, when you start to think about us again, we are able to read your thoughts even easier than before.’

‘Oh, please just go away, I need not anymore of this from you, I’ve had enough of it my entire life, no more, please...’

‘Don’t whine to me, you sound so pathetic and weak just as you always have,’ the voice spat with a taste of disgust. ‘You always were a whiner, your whole life you never acted strong. I wish I had a daughter like Sarah, I can only wish for a daughter like that…’ the voice now sounded so heartbreaking, and almost desperate that Sarah could only frown and wonder why did she did sound like that, and what was she talking about, and of course who the hell this was.

Sarah watched, the chilly blue almost liquid air crawling across her skin, and seeping into her skin to freeze her blood solid. Nothing at the moment made sense to Sarah, and she couldn’t be sure if a figure was melding into the air in front of her mother.
The figure, if it was there, lifted a hand and touched Sarah’s cheek ever so soothingly, but it felt temperate just like skin. Sarah blinked and reached for the transparent hand, feeling dizzy and ready to fall, but it seemed as if the arms were there to catch her, and she felt now quite safe and not afraid.

Sarah’s mother shrieked and leaped at Sarah, just pushing her away from touching the hand, shouting things that Sarah did not hear.

‘Get out of my thoughts you horrible witch, you wicked demon, you blasphemous women!’ Hope screamed, holding Sarah close to her chest, and with her other hand covering her ears.

‘Well, at least you got me out of your thoughts, at last, but do not fret Hope, you shall see me soon, remember this year was your daughter’s twelfth birthday, it is almost time. You know that you can’t stop me from making her into something so great and powerful, and that is what she will become Hope.’ The voice hissed, and then disappeared. Sarah blinked rapidly, trying to figure out what fully happened.

‘Are you all right?’ Nicky asked, rushing to her sister’s side.

‘I think so.’ Sarah replied. She was back in their den, the heat coming back to Sarah so her face lost it’s white complexion, and that her hands finally stopped shaking so inadequately.

‘Mom, what the heck is wrong with you!’ Nicky cried angrily, but their mom looked quite dazed herself, and didn’t answer at first, her mouth open in shock, and her eyes appearing lifeless as she stared past Sarah. ‘I asked you a question!’ Nicky continued.
‘I don’t know why she did that!’ their mother shrieked abruptly, causing Nicky to jump in astonishment, and Jake yelled in fright, his book falling from his hands. ‘It’s not my fault she’s that powerful and that I am so weak! And it’s your entire fault why she keeps coming back Sarah, only yours because she wants you with her again!’ Hope screamed, pointing an accusing finger at Sarah. Sarah stared almost fearfully, but hardened once again towards her mother and glared, still confused about what had just happened. ‘Go to your room and don’t come out until dinnertime, and if I catch you sneaking out of the bedroom window again, you’ll be grounded for three months!’

Nicky glared at Hope for a moment longer, before helping Sarah up and heading up the stairs. Sarah though, paused at the steps and glanced back at her mother, she wondered what she meant that she was powerful, and she wondered what her mother was thinking. Hope was talking inaudibly to Jake, not noticing how Sarah watched with complete puzzlement.

She finally sighed when her mother glanced at her, her eyes so mean they could have shot daggers at her, and went up to their bedroom, where the two girl’s slept on a bunk bed. That was the only room in the whole house that Sarah felt protected and comfortable, because it was Sarah’s own sanctuary, a room filled with pictures of bands they likes, and horror movies. Only here was it that Sarah could call home, anywhere else, she and Nicky felt as if they were trespassing on enemy grounds, and who felt like that in their own home?



‘Jesus, she’s a stupid prick!’ Nicky said with bitterness. Sarah was leaning against her dresser completely lost for words as she watched Nicky grumble and complain from the top bunk.

‘How is she a stupid prick?’ Sarah asked, still wondering whether that little blackout was real or not. It did feel real, her mother’s grip on herself was real, for her whole arm was splashed with red dots of irritation. Nicky told Sarah that she and her mother were only dazed out for a few seconds, but to Sarah it felt a lot longer than just that.
Nicky sat up and stared down at her sister, opened her mouth, then shut it again. Sarah knew she couldn’t explain herself, much less what had bizarrely happened and she knew it was much better to keep her mouth shut instead of making a fool out of herself.
‘She just is! She’s always picking on us, no matter what Jake does, it’s always us, and never him, and it’s almost as if she wishes to hate us.’

‘Yeah, I know, but...’

‘And!’ Nicky continued, her anger still raging, though Sarah didn’t know why. ‘She is always on Jake’s side.’

‘You already said that.’ Sarah remarked as lightly as she could. Nicky sighed heavily, and fell back against her pillow.

‘Yeah I know. I’m just... so upset she can’t ever look at us as her other children? The one’s she had right after Jake? It’s as if we don’t even exist!’

‘Maybe we don’t.’ Sarah exclaimed thoughtfully. ‘Maybe we’re just here and we weren’t really born from our mother.’ Nicky considered that, but Sarah only said it to make her be quiet. She was attentively listening to the noises made downstairs, and that drifted up through their heaters on the floor. It was fortunate that they had a heater that connected to the den.

‘What if we weren’t born from mom?!’ Nicky said quietly. ‘What if we’re adopted!’ she exclaimed, sitting up again.

‘Nicky! Just shut up for a moment please!’ the thought about it shuddered Sarah, but she hid her little deep fear. What if they weren’t their mother’s children? It was possible… no it wasn’t! Stop thinking such horrid things Sarah Anne Turner, a voice in her head hissed. You have the same appearance as your mother, so push away those thoughts immediately.

‘What are you listening to anyway?’ Nicky enquired. Sarah didn’t respond. Sarah walked over as mutely as she could to the heater, trying not to miss a word that they were saying. The conversation was now about Sarah, but she didn’t understand what they were talking about. Then again, she hardly understood anything about life’s complications. It was much better to live a dull life than have to figure out such oddities.
Nicky seemed to have the hint that Sarah was eavesdropping on their parents, and swiftly leaped off the bed. She slid up next to Sarah, watching her sister’s eyes guardedly, making sure she wasn’t about to snap once again. Now they both listened solemnly. Something about the whole conversation wasn’t right.


‘Look Mark, I don’t want to get into this again!’ their mother cried. She sounded very distressed and almost frightened.

‘I want to, and for once we will talk about this.’ Their father replied irritably. ‘Why are Sarah and Nicky grounded in their bedroom? Jake was so happy that they were in there by the way. What happened Hope?’

‘Nothing! Just the usual attacks on Jake.’

‘Never before have they been sent to their room for jumping on their older brother. There was something else, wasn’t there? Besides, Jake's a boy so he should handle two girls.’ Mark asked. Hope let out a soft moan that sounding like a whimpering dog. They knew that she was cornered, and she hated it when that happened.

‘All right, there might have been a real reason why their upstairs.’ Their mother trailed off quietly. They could hear the heat upon her voice, but they also knew she wouldn’t dare raise her voice to their father.

‘Go on, I want to know right now.’ Their father ordered, his voice sounded forced to stay calm. Sarah was surprised that their father was so upset about this, he hadn’t been so angry like this since they were younger, and that was his dark days that Sarah did not want to remember.

‘She... she contacted me, through my thoughts. She forced me to grab Sarah, and pull her into our conversation. Sarah heard her talking to me, and even though she didn’t fully understand what happened, she still knows. She won’t stop coming into my thought’s Mark! She won’t quit until Sarah knows the truth, but I swore that wouldn’t happen. No, never will my child be one of them. Never, until the day that I’m buried in the earth, and rotting, I will make sure Sarah isn’t a part of this conspiracy against the darkness.’
Sarah and Nicky both glanced at each other, their brilliant cerulean eyes filled with distrust and suspicion.

‘Of course you will Hope, but until the day you can learn enough powers to stop her, she’ll run you. Actually, now that we can have this little unpleasant chat, I want Sarah to go to the school. And I don’t want you to be angry, but I have a sense that she’ll exceed extremely well on the initiation, and well in the classes.’ Mark quipped. His voice was composed and cheerful once again.

‘How dare you! Why would you go against me like this? Why would you want her to go to that wretched school with that spiteful women Mark? You know why I don’t want Sarah going there, she hates both of us for what we did, and she’ll never forgive us!’
‘Wait, stay silent for a moment.’

‘I shall not stay silent while all of this is starting to begin, I want your answer now. You don’t say something like that, then expect me to not be upset, you promised to stay with me in this until the end, do not back out now!’ Hope cried angrily.
‘No, it’s the girls Hope, they’re listening, and if you had been quiet, you might have heard too!’

Both parents went deadly silent, but Sarah knew they must have been coming to check on them. Sarah pulled up Nicky, who pointed at the window. They instantly knew that they were about to get in trouble, even though it was near to well impossible their parents had somehow found out they were listening.

It was things like this that troubled Sarah’s thoughts. Things that were odd or strange within the family, (unless it consists Jake, then she isn’t worried) she sometimes wonders whether or not her family is... a little off balance or not.

She was so nervous around a large group of people; she wondered why she was popular at all. The same with her parents, they got quite fidgety when they were in a grocery store or a mall.

Then again, they could just be naturally like that, she knew a girl in her class who had frequent anxiety attacks, and she was normal. Or at least Sarah thinks she is. You can never know when somebody is hiding his or her irregularity, so maybe Sarah had a hidden secret that even she didn’t know about.

In fact, Sarah used to be something peculiar. When she was a little girl, she used to be able to move things with her mind, and had the most horrifying dreams. Jake used to say that Sarah’s body belonged to the devil, (even at his age of eight) of course that was just silly childish talk, but still… to move something with her mind was awfully strange. What the hell is her problem! Nothing is wrong with her, and she couldn’t even remember when she was six except for when she moved the objects, so she was sure they were just dreams. They had to be, right?

Nicky pushed open the window as quietly as she could, and began to slide out of it. Sarah heard the distinct sound of the seventh floor creak, even from this distance and inside of their room. Her hearing was that extraordinary. Nicky finally made her whole body go through the opening and scrambled out of the way so Sarah could climb through also. And Sarah wanted out very badly, for she could only think about what their punishment would be, even though she didn’t do anything. She heard the final creak of their last step, and stopped her lack of confidence.

Out on the roof Nicky waited for Sarah. Once she made sure Sarah was entirely out, and out of harms way, she grabbed a branch above her head, and let herself swing to the ground below.

Now, this was something that was terribly dangerous, and inconsiderate for them to do, but they were risk takers, and didn’t care at the moment for rules.
The branch snapped back up to Sarah, nearly beating her in the face. But she hurriedly caught it, and swung down, ending up a foot or two off the ground. She leapt the rest of the way down, gracefully, and began to dash away with Nicky. She only hoped that their parents wouldn’t follow. Sarah dared to take a look back, and didn’t see anyone’s head poked out the window. That relieved her, but they continued running towards their neighbourhood park, The Blue Park.


A Street away from the park, Sarah slowed down, and stared intriguingly at a house, which had a moving van in its driveway.

‘Hmm, it seems that we’re going to have some new faces in the neighbourhood, I haven’t seen people move into our neighbourhood for a long time, how about you?’
‘Nope, not since we were really young, and even then it wasn’t many people. I wonder what’s going to happen to Alexandra now; I hope we can stay in touch.’ Nicky said, with a touch of disappointment dripping in her words. Alexandra was her old best friend, and for Alexandra not to tell Nicky why she was leaving of course made her a little troubled.
It was a little odd that hardly anyone ever left this neighbourhood, or anyone moved in. Most of the people who move into Grand Valley were on the other side of town, the newer side. So now, with somebody new in the neighbourhood, Sarah felt so excited, and almost felt as if it were breaking some sort of neighbourhood code.

A boy came out of the house, his long curly brunette hair bobbing on top of his head. He wore a black chopper’s sweatshirt, and baggy blue pants. Sarah glanced at Nicky, but her sister for once didn’t look at her. Sarah looked back at the boy. Sarah felt her interest in him become aroused, because it seemed as if she had met him before, but couldn’t quite recall the moment.

At first, the boy didn’t realize he was being watched so efficiently, but after, when he was holding a box in his arms, he spun his head to Sarah and Nicky, his eyes gave them a piercing glare. Nicky shook her head and snorted. ‘He appears, tough I guess, I wonder where he came from.’

‘He most likely came from the city; you have to be tough when you live in such a large place.’ Sarah replied, still watching him with an animated expression. The boy suddenly lost his glare as he stared at Sarah. She watched as the box slipped from his grip, and crashed to the ground. There must have been china in the box, because suddenly a loud shatter pierced the silent street. Dogs immediately began to bark so the street was no longer hushed like it had been. The wind laughed at the boy as it blew harshly through the twin’s hair, the sound high as if someone was screaming from some sort of horrible torture.

The boy shuddered with disbelief, and looked down at the white china spread around his feet. He slowly brought his eyes back to Sarah. Within his eyes that were nearly black as night, something glittered. He was edging her on, calling her to come closer with his eyes that were locked wither hers.

Sarah blacked out, and when she came back, she was chasing after the boy; Nicky following close behind, shouting at Sarah to stop. She didn’t comprehend why she was chasing him, but she couldn’t make herself to stop either. She tried to force her feet to stop, but they wouldn’t listen to her demand.

‘Hey, stop running!’ Sarah blurted to the boy. He seemed to slow down, but he kept going. She realized that he turned into the blue park, and there was no way out of there except for the way he had just entered. The fences were far too high for anyone to ascend, besides, on the other side of the fence was a forest that no one dared to enter.
Sarah now halted at the entrance, and followed the boy with her eyes. He ran all the way to the other end of the fence, and paused at it. Of course he knew he was cornered. Sarah couldn’t see his face, but she knew it must be filled with the anguish acknowledge of defeat.

Nicky caught up with Sarah, out of breath. ‘What the hell were you doing?’ she asked Sarah, a long pause between each sentence.

‘I have no idea.’ Sarah replied. The boy glanced back at the two girls’ with a sly little grin on. It nerved Sarah; just by the way, his unclear eyes glittered with a lightness she had never seen before, except in Madison’s.

He turned back to the fence, and with great nimbleness and pace, he shot up the fence and landed on the other side with ease.

‘Jesus!’ Nicky cried stumbling backwards. The boy scurried away into the woods beyond, not looking back at Sarah and Nicky, who were completely baffled. Sarah slowly made her way into the park, never taking her eyes off of where the boy had been. It was exquisite, how he could simply grab hold of the fence and fly up it. Never before had Sarah seen such an extraordinary sight.

‘That’s completely impossible, that fence is over ten feet high!’ Sarah exclaimed delicately to herself. Nicky finally entered the park too, holding herself as if she had just entered a realm of terror.

‘Who the hell was that?’ Nicky asked Sarah. Sarah shook her head, and sat down on a swing, facing the fence. Nicky sat beside her.

Sarah stared at the fence, examining each little wire. She noticed that there was some sort of pattern amongst it. She frowned, and closed her eyes. Before she knew what happened, words blurted out of her mouth.

‘During the day, we hide from light
At nightfall, we come to flight
We curse back evil, into thy deep flame,
And without realization,
We leave like…’ Sarah said, in a mystical voice.

‘Sarah? Are you okay?’ Nicky asked, bumping into Sarah’s swing.

‘Huh?’ Sarah said, shaking her head.

‘Where did you learn that?’

‘Learn what?’ Sarah asked blankly, her normal voice returned.
‘You just recited some sort of poem. It was awesome too, so dark and unforgettable. It sounds like somebody doesn’t like the world, that’s for sure.’ Nicky assumed. Sarah didn’t understand.

‘What on earth are you talking about? I didn’t say anything.’ She told her sister heatedly.
‘Yes you did, a poem. I can’t remember how it went, but it was really cool. Something that Madison would like.’ Nicky replied not heeding Sarah’s snappy words as she fooled around the swing.

‘I swear I didn’t say anything, but I’m not going to argue any more.’ Sarah said, finishing the conversation. Nicky of course respected Sarah’s want for silence, and didn’t continue.

During this silence, Sarah looked upon the fence, and noticed that a slight shine was slowly diminishing. She blinked a few times, and then the radiance was gone. She glanced at Nicky as she swung high in the air.

She sighed, and stared off into the woods, wondering curiously about the boy who could just jump over high fences. Who on earth was he? She could swear on the bible itself that she knew him. And what was with him dropping the box when he saw her? Something was going on, something that Madison, her mother and that boy were apart of, and maybe even the man with the red eyes had begun to be involved, but whatever it was, she needed to find out, and soon.

Something moved in the woods with excessive quickness, and caught Sarah’s eye. Sarah pulled up straight and nearly toppled backwards off her swing.

She jumped back up as fast as possible, but already the creature was gone. She spun on Nicky.

‘Where did it go, did you see it?’ she asked. Nicky looked at Sarah her eyes blank with mystification.

‘See what now?’ Nicky asked.

‘That thing that ran by not even fifty feet away, surely you saw it, right?’

‘Nope.’ Nicky replied. She pushed her swing and ignored Sarah’s dazed reaction. Nevertheless, Sarah was sure she had seen something. But what was it? It didn’t run like any animal she had ever seen before. What the hell was going on here, was Sarah going out of her mind?

Sarah didn’t know how long she stared at the forest, waiting for something to show itself, until Nicky screamed with glee. She was swinging so high Sarah was sure she was about to fly off and land in the forest.

Sarah wished she could get in there, and maybe figure out this questioning situation herself, because she was a curious Picies, and nothing ever got in her way. Until now that is. She hated it when she wasn’t able to figure out the ways of life on her own, for she always tried to be so smart and older.

Finally Sarah sighed and rose. ‘Maybe we should just go home now. It’s kind of getting dark.’

‘Are you kidding? Mom is probably still angry about us, you heard her say we’ll be grounded for three months.’ Nicky told her. Sarah didn’t reply. It was most probable situation.

‘Well then miss smart ass, tell us what we should do.’

Nicky frowned, her brows squinted as she thought of what to do.

‘Let’s go to Madison’s, I’m sure we’ll be all right there.’ Nicky said nodding her head.
‘Sure.’ Sarah replied. Both girls’ began to leave the park, but at the gate entrance, Sarah glanced back just one more time at the forest. Nothing exposed itself, but the wind laughed deviously.



‘So, do you guys want popcorn while we watch the movie?’ Madison asked grinning broadly. Both girls nodded, and pulled their blankets nearer to their chins. ‘All right, I’ll be right back. Don’t vanish on me now.’ She added winking.

Sarah leaped up. ‘I’ll come and help you, knowing you and your cooking abilities, you’re sure to screw up the popcorn somehow.’

Madison narrowed her eyes at Sarah. ‘Lovely.’

Sarah and Nicky laughed at Madison's resentful looking face. ‘I’m just kidding Madison. But seriously, I’ll help you with something upstairs. You know, for covering our backs when we showed up on your doorstep.’

‘Fine, but I’ll get back at you for dissing my cooking skills.’ Their friend warned. Nicky giggled sensitively, but stifled her giggles by the blanket. Madison pretended not to notice and began to head up the stairs. Sarah followed right on her heels.
In reality, Sarah had no objective to help Madison, since Madison wasn’t that bad a cook. Instead, she was going to tell her about the park occurrence. Only Madison would be one who would look entirely fascinated and concerned at the same time.
Sarah stared at Madison for a while as she put their little snack in the microwave.

Her hair was long and a shimmering black that was darker than any shadow she had ever seen, but so reflective at the same time. Like Sarah’s hair, any light that touched it immediately shone. She had bangs that were pulled to one side and sloped down past her eyes, covering half of her face and making her appear more dark and sly when she would look at you because you were only able to see one eye.

She shouldn’t cover her eyes though, because they were the most radiated green ever. Sometimes, when she was happy and calm, they were dark pine green. But when she was hyperactive, devious or flirty, they brightened to their full degree. Of course Sarah noticed that they weren’t as interesting as Sarah’s was, but they were the nicest pair of green eyes Sarah’s seen in her life.

Her face was shapely and she had a high cheekbone that made her looks more attractive. Sarah’s face was slightly round and much softer.

The sound of two feet on the soft carpet approached, and Sarah knew what they were in for.

‘Hey Madison! Are you making popcorn?’

A little boy about ten years old ran into the kitchen, his dark blue eyes flashing the same mischievous glint that Madison had.

Madison watched her brother Raymond with narrowed eyes, her lips drawn to a thin line. ‘Maybe, but there’s none for you. Besides, I think you should slow down eating junk food so you don’t get fat.’

‘Madison, almost every day we go to the store and buy a ton of treats. What’s the difference between you and Raymond, huh?’ Sarah pointed out grinning. Madison reddened and looked embarrassed for a moment.

Her brother was a lot like her, only he had blue eyes and a mop of brunette hair a top of his head. His eyes were also wider than hers were, and he was taller than Sarah was.
‘You buy junk food every day! Boy, you call me a pig, well, then I can call you Miss Piggy. Where’s you handsome frog Miss Piggy?’ Raymond said as he laughed and ran into towards their living room. Madison growled and leaped after her brother.
‘Shut up you little jerk!’ Madison shouted.

‘Mom! Mom! Madison’s gone crazy!’ Raymond screamed at the top of his lungs. Sarah watched, and couldn’t help laughing. It was so much like Sarah, Nicky and Jake. Madison bounded onto Raymond, both toppling into the couch. She gave him a noogie, while Raymond grabbed at her hair and tugged.

‘Stop yelling idiot or you’ll wake up the whole neighbourhood.’ Madison warned. Raymond, though he was persistent, stop tugging onto Madison's hair and began to bawl. She sighed and let him go. ‘You aren’t even worth destroying.’ She muttered. Raymond gave her a nasty little hand gesture and ran upstairs.

Madison came back into the kitchen. ‘He’s going to be a little punk when he’s older. Did you see what that freaking kid did? He gave me the finger! Where’s he learning this stuff anyway?’

‘Probably from us. You never know when he’s spying on us.’ Sarah said in a low deep voice. Both girl’s froze and stared at each other, their eyes slowly widening.

‘Eww…He better not, cause if I ever catch him…’ she slammed her closed fist into her palm irritably. She went to a cupboard, retrieved a glass and filled it up with water from her fridge.

Sarah pulled up straight in her chair, and looked around them for any nosy little people. ‘Madison, did you know some new people moved in up the street?’

Madison was drinking from a glass of water, but suddenly choked it up and began to cough. ‘What did you say?!’ she exclaimed. She too had grown up hardly ever seeing people move away from their neighbourhood, but this news apparently shocked her. ‘Are you kidding? Who?’ she asked, stuttering on each word and holding herself upon the counter.

‘The O’Grady’s.’ Sarah told her.

‘The O’Grady’s?’ Madison repeated. She turned around on the counter and hung her head down, looking as if she were about to vomit.

‘What’s wrong Madison? Hey, that’s not even the end of it. A family moved in, and they have a son. He’s kind of… how do I put this… really eerie, he’s even worse than we are.’

Madison’s head shot up. She slowly turned around, her eyes full of apprehension. Her eyes were a dark green and her face was nearly pure white.

‘A boy? What did he look like?’ Madison asked slowly and hesitantly, being careful about each word that she let out.

‘He had medium brown curly hair, and I remember how his eyes were like black pearls. He was a little taller than you.’ Sarah explained. Madison was petrified. ‘Hey, what’s wrong? Madison, are you all right!’

‘This isn’t right. He wasn’t supposed to come yet, no! This isn’t what the stars read, this isn’t how the prophecy goes, everything is going wrong!’ Madison exclaimed. ‘You aren’t supposed to find out until later on, not now!’ she added.

‘Madison, what the hell! Your scaring me! What am I not supposed to find out? Tell me, please.’ Sarah pleaded. Madison leisurely brought her eyes to Sarah’s.
‘I’m not allowed. It wasn’t in the stars to be this way, first Anna’s house, and now this; they must really want you to find out.’ Madison told her. At the moment, Sarah really didn’t care what the stars or some stupid prophecy said.

‘But Madison, we’ve been best friends since we were two, why won’t you tell me?’
‘Because I... mom?’ Madison breathed in, bringing her hands to her neck and rubbing it uncomfortably.

Sarah spun around nearly toppling over into Madison. In the doorway, her eyes wide with distrust, was Madison's mother. She stood tall in the doorway, examining the two girls’ disbelievingly. Sarah noticed Madison lowered her eyes guiltily to the floor.

‘What are you two talking about in here?’ she asked, hardly opening her lips that Sarah wondered if she spoke at all. Usually her eyes were so soft and playful, but at the moment they were little more than cold blocks of ice in her skull. And Sarah was lost in the glare, and she even felt her arms going cold.

‘We…’ Sarah began. She didn’t know what to say.

Madison glanced up at the light in their kitchen, feeling the heat beating down from it. The room was closing in on them, and she was sure the voices were coming, the voices that taunted her when she was bad. But she hadn’t done anything yet! Oh, her mother was going to kill her, or at least do what she did before. She looked back at her mother, and knew what she was thinking, even though she didn’t have that power yet.
‘Mom, I’m going to be straightforward. Its about… well, take a good guess.’
Sarah looked from mother to daughter, her confusion taking over rapidly. Madison’s mother nodded slowly, her face full of knowing.

‘I see, this is a problem, right Madison?’

At the moment, Madison would agree with anything. Her head was swarming with the memories. The light beat down even harder upon her, and with her black hair, it only made her feel warmer. Something was wrong with her, and she guessed it was somehow her mother doing this to her. Or could it be somebody else?

‘Stop… I’ve had enough.’ Madison whispered, but not quiet enough for Sarah to hear. Sarah froze, and even though she wanted to see what was wrong with Madison, she couldn’t look back at her.

‘Well, Madison, we give you permission to tell her. Goodnight girls.’ Madison's mother turned on her heel and glided down the hall and up the stairs.
Madison gasped and took in a deep breath, it was like she had been holding her breath the whole time.

‘Madison, what just happened?’ Sarah questioned her friend.

‘I can hardly begin to explain.’ Madison told her. She was still quite dizzy, though the light finally stopped beating down on her like a California sun. A drip of sweat slid down the side of her head, but she didn’t wipe it away. She felt too weak to even raise her head at Sarah and examine her expression.

‘I want answers, because this situation is just getting more odd by the hour.’

‘All right.’ Madison said calmly, trying to hide her overwhelming fear from her own mother. ‘Tonight, Nicky, you and I are all going to the Blue Park.’

‘The Blue Park, what for?’ Sarah asked. Madison hesitated.

‘I’ll tell you when we’re there.’ She finally said. She turned to the microwave and took out the popcorn bag. Sarah was frowning deeply, pondering the whole situation. She didn’t pester Madison any more on the subject, because she knew Madison wouldn’t reveal anything else. She would have to hold down her budding curiosity that was nearly over whelming her, and wait. But what exactly was she waiting for?

‘Can I ask one last thing?’ Sarah asked, watching Madison as she took out a bowl. Madison only nodded. ‘What’s at the Blue Park?’

Madison paused, and glanced at Sarah from beneath her bangs. ‘Your destiny.’



As the three girls slid in and out of gloom towards the Park, Sarah felt a strange presence come upon her. She was upset because night was her advantage, but now it felt like a distant friend whom she stopped seeing. The night air crawled menacingly across her bare arms, but she continued.

Each girl wore black clothing, to hide herself amongst the night, but to Sarah, it just didn’t feel right. Nicky didn’t know what they were doing, but she followed in silence, her feet hardly touching the ground that she walked upon. Madison led the way, not looking once back at the twins.

Sarah took her eyes off Madison and looked at her environment. The street was silent like a graveyard, and a thin stream of mist was closing in on them. She noticed how the trees seemed to be pointing towards the way they were heading, but of course that was impossible.

A distant howl broke the hushed night, and Madison paused so that Sarah and Nicky, being so close behind, nearly walked right into her. She considered the howl sensibly, but nodded to herself and continued. The howl to Sarah sounded quite strange, and nothing like a dog at all causing both Sarah and Nicky walk closer to Madison, and Sarah wondered that if it wasn’t a dog, then what was it?

Eventually, the Park’s gates appeared, looking like the gates of hell to Sarah. This was it, she thought. Madison slowed down and virtually tiptoed into the park, as if she would be disturbing the night.

‘Okay, now what?’ Nicky asked. Madison didn’t reply. Sarah thought she was acting exceedingly unusual, but she didn’t say anything about it. Madison wouldn’t like her remark very much either.

They proceeded to the back of the park, and only did Madison finally stop and sigh when she was only a foot away from the fence. She turned to look back at the twins, her hood shadowing her face, and gestured for them to come closer, her finger appearing bony and a ghastly white to Sarah. She gasped slightly, but tried to pull her eyes away and look upon Madison’s face.

Sarah’s heart was hammering in her chest like never before, and she felt as if she were about to faint. She wasn’t able to breathe, oh god something was wrong. She trembled from within, and a heat of excitement warmed her heart. Just think of this as another adventure. Forget about everything weird that’s happened and just do it.
‘Okay, we need to do this quickly. And don’t disturb me because I don’t have my powers yet, but I’ll try to do this.’

Sarah and Nicky glanced at each other uncertainly. Madison slowly began to count each little hole in the fence, and when she was satisfied, stood in front of it and closed her eyes. She sighed overwhelmingly and began to chant in a slow melodic way.

‘During the day,
We hide from light,
At nightfall, we come to flight,
We curse back evil,
Into thy deep flame,
And without realization,
We leave like we came.’

At first nothing happened, and Sarah felt like turning around and heading back. But slowly, a stream of light like spidery webs traced the fence. Sarah remembered what had happened earlier when she supposedly recited a poem. An oval was created out of the light, and shining even brighter than the door itself, was a strange bat shape in the middle of the oval. Madison stepped back, watching Sarah’s expression intriguingly.
‘Hey, that was the poem you recited earlier Sarah!’ Nicky whispered in Sarah’s ear after a long moment of silence.

It was wonderful to see the expressions of the newcomers. She remembered when she was a little girl how excited she was to see the light shine so brightly.
Finally, the lights began to dissolve, taking the fence along with it. What was left was an oval shaped hole in the fence. Sarah waited for something to lunge out at her, but nothing did.

‘Well, go on.’ Madison told her.

‘I'm sorry?’

‘Oh, I forgot for a moment there.’ Madison said, stepping forward. She cleared her throat. ‘Sarah, walk down this path, and at the end will be a building. In that building, go to the fourth floor, and there awaits your destiny, there everything will be explained to you.’

Sarah stared at Madison. What the hell was she talking about? She shook her head and glanced at Nicky. She was perplexed as Sarah was, staring out into the forest, her mouth open with curiosity.

‘Well, you do realize that was pretty easy for you to say, and more difficult for me to do, right?’

‘Go on Sarah. You have to. Before your mother gets here.’ Madison urged, taking a rapid peek at the entrance. Sarah didn’t know what to do, should she go? And what did she mean by, before your mother gets here. Why would she come? Such questions, and many others raced across Sarah’s head.

‘Madison, there are wolves and other animals in there!’ Sarah protested, remembering the howl earlier on. Madison’s eyes lightened with pride.

‘Oh, there is a lot more than wolves and cats in there, don’t worry about that. But if you stay on the path, they are not allowed to hurt you. They know not to hurt you, they can sense if your good or not.’ Madison assured Sarah.

Well, she loved adventure, and she wanted to trust Madison. She began to step in through the gate, feeling more excited with every breath her lungs gasped.
‘Whatever you do, do not leave the path unless you want those animals and… other things to hurt you!’ Madison advised. Sarah turned around.

‘Aren’t you coming with me?’

Madison shook her head. ‘I have to stay with Nicky, since she isn’t allowed to go. I’m going to explain everything to her that you will hear. Now go! And remember; do not leave the trail, no matter what.’ She waved her hand across the opening, and the fence once again went back to its normal state.

Sarah turned back to the trail. It wasn’t very large, but in the distance, she saw the smallest little light to guide her along it. She glanced at the descending mist, hoping it wouldn’t descend on her before she got to her destination.
Might as well go on, Madison won’t let me out of here unless I go to the building at the end of the path, Sarah said to herself.

Sarah paused, but ignored the fact that she felt as if she were watched by something more than her best friend and her sister. She started to stride on, and hide her eyes as she glanced from each side. Did she just see some gold eyes reflecting off the moon?
Now Sarah wondered why she didn’t bring a sweater or jacket over her black tank top. The mist dropped down on her and surrounded her, blocking out the forest that was around her. The mist that hung around her made her dizzy and chilled, but she tried to ignore it. She held herself, but couldn’t stop her head from throbbing. She felt drugged, high or something equivalent.

Was she still on the path? She couldn’t make out the shapes in front of her anymore, something in the fog was messing her up. She paused and looked up at the sky, the moon was hidden from the treetop’s branches. The mist was hiding most of the light that was guiding her.

But the little lamp up ahead was still glowing, and that was the only light now that Sarah could see. She headed towards it, holding herself tighter from both fear, and the damp wetness that clung to her skin.

A branch next to the trail snapped, and Sarah immediately froze. Dammit! Was she still on the trail, or had she slipped off it not being able to see anything with the mist around her.

She had to be, so she continued. Finally she reached the lamp, she felt so happy she wanted to jump with joy. The mist seemed to be hissing at the light, not able to get at Sarah. She reached down, grabbed the lamps’ handle, and tried to pull it up, but it was stuck firmly to the ground. Her jaw dropped open with disbelief and clear disappointment.
‘There’s no way I’m going to continue without this lamp.’ She said aloud to the darkness around her. A deep thunderous howl, which sounded like all the sinners’ screams in hell, replied. Sarah jumped with surprise, and backed away from where the howl came from, her hands clenched tightly with fear.

Just remember to stay on the path, Madison’s words rang in her ear. Sarah glanced down to see if she was still on the little dirt path. She had stumbled about a foot off it, but she didn’t see the harm by scarcely being off it. All she wanted was to get that howl out of her head. It was ringing repeatedly and bounced back and forth among her head. She unexpectedly felt sick, but instead of getting ready to throw up whatever was in her stomach, her ears perked up guardedly. Something quite large was walking towards her.
Get to that path right now! A voice screamed in her head. However, like in every situation like hers, the legs remained solid and stuck like glue to the ground. She wanted to scream when she felt a steamy, hot breath crawl over her. The thing growled, and sniffed Sarah with significance.


This thing wasn’t like any of the creatures in the forest, the smell on this creature was… human. Panic pounded his heart, and stiffened his back. He growled at this human again. Nevertheless, why wasn’t it attacking him? Furthermore, why was its smell… different…?

It smelled like Hillary, but of course not so old. Of course, he loved Hillary, but he had to admit she was getting older. This human, was young, maybe around his age, female, and he smelled her panic, but strength and determination not to fear him, even though he was great in mass.

Something inside of him jumped with pure inquisitiveness of this female human, who tried not to fear him. Did she even know what he was, a creature that was hunted by humans, and a devour of flesh? He wished that she would turn around, because somehow a thought had come to mind, what if it was Sarah right now in front of him?


Sarah only realized that she was shuddering, and squeezed her eyes shut. Fear, was the one thing she hated to show, that and her affections towards boys. Damn! Whatever this thing was almost scaring the hell out of her. She could sense how immense it was, and that sent her into another tremor of anxiety.

‘Please,’ she said considerately, trying to sound as childlike as possible. ‘Please let me go.’

The thing paused at its sniffing, considering what she had just mumbled. Wait. Animals don't consider things.

<I was not going to hurt you, but I was just interested. I’m sorry to have disturbed you. >

A voice in her head said, a child like excitement on the voice. <I’ll be on my way now. >

The large creature began to walk away, and even though Sarah knew he must be a heavy animal, the leaves hardly ruffled. It was as if it glided along, and after a moment of only hearing her heart hammering upon her chest, Sarah began to crawl back to the path where the light radiated. If only she could pick up that light, then she would carry on.
Sarah stared at the light for a while, not caring about the sounds around her. She brought her hand to the lamp, and tried again to lift it up off the ground. This time, it came exceptionally easy. She tried to hide her embarrassment that she felt, and continued along the trail.

She held the lamp close to the ground, making sure she didn’t fall off the path again. She undeniably didn’t want to meet that creature again.

Off in the distance, she saw a dim yellow glow in the murky mist. Her heart raced with joy that she might be nearing the end of this horrid forest. She began to run towards it. The light wound around the trees, and bobbed ahead of her. She began to slow down cautiously. Only then did she realize that branches were thrashing her, and that her shoes were full of murky thick sludge.

‘What the…?’ she said aloud. She tried to pull free of the mud, but it held onto her shoe like a deathly grip wanting to engulf her. She grabbed a branch above her, and pulled until her arms were stinging from the branches rough surface.

A small laugh smothered her, sounding as if it were choking on water. ‘Poor little girl, were you tricked by my light?’ a sour voice giggled. Sarah held onto the branch encouraging herself, trying to ignore the voice that made her hair rise on end. The voice was full of cold ice, and mystery, but the thing didn’t reveal itself yet.

‘Why the hell are you bothering me?’ Sarah shouted, her blue eyes blazed with a hopeless flare of aggravation and rage. The voice responded in amusement that only angered Sarah more.

‘Fool, didn’t you think there would be creatures that would try to lure you off the path? This isn’t a place full of butterflies and flowers little girl, you can be sure about that.’ The voice hissed in her ear. Sarah swapped instantly at her ear, expecting to hit something.
‘If you’re so sure about yourself, than come out.’ Sarah called out to the darkness that surrounded her, but the voice did not reply. ‘Come on you monstrosity!’ Sarah taunted.
‘Don’t you call me that...’ the voice whispered loathingly.

‘I’ll shall call you whatever I please.’ Sarah stated.

The thing sighed, and gradually, a strange ghost like goblin appeared floating in the air before Sarah. She gasped slightly, trying not to cause offence to the strange ghost, well, that is if it was one. It was floating rather tilted, as if one side of its solid body was heavier than the other. It had skeletal extensive arms, and the eyes that stared at Sarah had no pupils, but were only a blanched white colour that was lifeless. It’s body was a pastel grey that nearly matched its eyes. Plus, its head was just as thin and bony as the rest of its body, and Sarah wasn’t sure whether that’s they way it always was, or if it was somehow sick.

The creature looked pleased at Sarah’s horrified expression. She had stopped trying to pull herself out of the mud, and just looked from head to toe at him. He giggled his girlish, high-pitched laugh, the lantern in his hand bouncing angrily. The flames nearly leapt out of the lantern, but he swiftly grabbed them and placed them back inside.
‘Shut up in there!’ he shouted, ‘Don’t make me put water in there, because I will!’ he threatened. The flames screeched in protest, but calmed down enough to make him stop shouting.

Sarah winced and began to struggle once again. The horrible grotesque little monster began to hiss little words and remarks at the strange blue, red and green flames in his lantern.

She had to pay no attention to the strange creature, even though it was most unquestionably remarkable, and focus mainly on the mud that sucked with all its might on her feet. She pulled until the muscles on her arms stung with frustration and her palms bleed like a river. Her blood oozed across her palms, and seeped into the branch making the branch shiver, or at least she thought it had.

That’s when she realized that the more she pulled, the more the mud grabbed her legs, it was as if it were alive but that was impossible. She felt as if she was in a brutal game of tug of war, her audience the frantically grinning beast, and no matter what she did, she wouldn’t win. She knew eventually her arms would slip, and she’d fall into the muddy pit below that was waiting to engulf her whole.

She wanted to cry out for help, to scream and bellow at the odd little creature that floated in front of her, watching so passionately, and tell it to help her, but her voice was choked up in her throat. Tears stung her eyes, trying to force the damn of her arrogance and persistence to break so they could fall like acid rain and burn her soul. She hadn’t felt like crying like this since she was quite little, and she wasn’t about to start again just because some intellectual mud was holding onto her.

But her strength was hastily wearing out, and there was no point of holding on any longer if no one was to help her. Sarah’s arms began to slip, but as she was about to fall, when a rather tough and thick branch grabbed her and held her up. To her bewilderment, two beady watery eyes peered at her and blinked curiously.

The tree she had been holding onto Sarah had awoken and realized that a young woman had nearly been killed by the mud around its roots. He let out a little huff of air out of his mouth, still considering whether he should let her fall to her death or help her.
‘Who is the person who disturbed me during my resting?’ the tree asked tiredly. The ghost hissed and gargled, the flames in his lantern blazing with his anger.

‘This does not concern you Maker!’ the goblin told the tree, edging closer to Sarah. The tree’s funny eyebrows rose significantly as he glanced at the goblin and Sarah.

‘Balder, have thee been fooling with the passer-by's again? Dost thou not remember what the Lady Hillary told us?’ Maker said. Balder the goblin began to shudder, then screamed in rage.

‘It is not fair! I haven’t had a decent meal for ages, doesn’t my skin show the hunger that dwells inside of me, my tongue longs to taste such sweet flesh once again, why will you not let me just satisfy my hunger just this once?’ he shouted at the tree.

‘Yes I see you, and though I only had one glance, it is enough to blind me forever.’ The tree responded cleverly. Sarah watched, and couldn’t help but smile and remember to use that line later in life, for it was utterly smart. ‘To live in this forest peacefully, thou must heed Lady Hillary’s dire words of wisdom, because once one goes against the Lady, the whole forest shall be affected by the greed of one sycophantic soiled creature. Now begone and go back to the shadows where you belong you foul creature.’

‘Can I at least have a taste of the child? For I’m ever so hungry my dear Maker. Surely it wouldn’t hurt for a taste of human blood once again, Lady Hillary does not need to know of this…’

‘I SAID BEGONE!’ the tree boomed, rattling its leaves and causing the goblin to hiss once more and scurry away, grumbling to his only friends that were trapped in the lantern he held. The tree grumbled then looked back at Sarah.

‘Now little one, how is it that thee stumbled off the path? Did that little foul magpie lead thee off of it?’ he asked her.

‘Yes, I thought his lantern was the next light, but it seems I was wrong. I’m terribly sorry to have disturbed you.’

‘Yes, well it can’t be helped now, because I am awake, and won’t be able to sleep for another hundred days.’ Maker gently brought Sarah to the ground, away from the mud, and smiled at her, his tiny watery eyes beaming. ‘Well now, I’m glad to have been of assistance to you child, the path is directly in front of you, so you shouldn’t miss it.’
‘Thank you for your help Maker. I promise I won’t fall off the trail again.’

Maker nodded, the leaves on his branches falling to the ground and his roots creaking with objection. Sarah waved at the tree, and began her way back to the trail.

‘Wait one moment longer child.’ Maker cried, waving a branch so slowly at her, the branch creaking with age. Sarah paused and glanced back at the tree, trying to be polite, though she wanted to get out of this strange and horrid forest. ‘May I have the pleasure in knowing thy name, in case we come across paths again?’

‘My name is Sarah Turner.’ She said politely. ‘Now I beggen your pardon, but I must be going.’

‘Of course child, be careful.’ The tree advised. His eyes were now bright and wide, no longer looking so wearisome, he looked actually excited. Sarah nodded and ignored it. She would try not to get into any more sticky messes, because she wanted to get to the end of this little adventure. But maybe she would have to do more than just being careful.
She smiled as she pushed past branches, trying to be careful of where she stepped. If she had been wary in her life, she wouldn’t have had so much enjoyment with her friends. And of course, she wouldn’t have had so many cuts and bruises either. To her, learning the hard way is better than hearing how awful something is, because then you knew yourself whether it was wrong or not.

Sarah stumbled onto the path, nearly screaming as the forest let her go. She quickly got up, and continued down the path with a more determined and excited demeanour upon herself.

However, as Sarah walked down the path, she was completely unaware that that monstrous being she had met earlier was watching, and following her intimately.


© Copyright 2007 fallen angel (UN: vc_andrewsfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fallen angel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/343109-Chapter-3-A-Forest-Entry