*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/337743-Study-and-driving-habits
Rated: ASR · Book · Self Help · #949483
Are temperament and Mental Health at all related? A positive, spiritual view of self.
#337743 added March 29, 2005 at 6:03pm
Restrictions: None
Study and driving habits
I will be using application of information in Dr. Tim LaHaye's information in this entry. Some of it will be as I've seen it in my own experience. After this, the next few entries will talk about the fruit of the Spirit, and how they can be incorporated to turn weaknesses into strengths, or just turn them around to profit a man for God's glory.

Sanguines are erratic drivers, in that they will speed when they feel like it, then, out of the blue, will slow down, when the mood strikes them. Advertisements on the side of the roads are for these people. Their attentions can be drawn away from the road in front ot them easily. Dr. LaHaye gave the advice of not sitting in the backseat of the car if you intend to have a conversation with a Sanguine, who is driving, because he/she will look back to speak to you.*Bigsmile*

As for studying, the inattentiveness can be a problem, which I will discuss in later entries about ADHD, but I will apply what I've seen a Sanguine friend of mine do when studying, which is very clever. He knows himself very well, and knows that if he stays at home or at work to study, then his mind will drift to other things that need to be done. What he does, is go to a bookstore, or any place where there are other people study. It places him in that mode, or atmosphere. His attention isn't so easily pulled away from his studying this way. Sanguines have to study as they go along. They are great at finding things to do to procrastinate, but they are terrible last-minute crammers, in that they will not remember very much of what they cram in their minds all in one sitting.


The Cholerics are the ones darting in and out of lanes, between traffic, at very high speed. They are in a hurry to get where they need to go, and, God forbid, that anyone should slow them down. Don't worry about speaking with a Choleric behind the wheel, for he/she won't be much of a conversationalist. He/she will concentrate on the road, above all else.

As far as studying goes, it would have to depend on the subject matter. They are not good at remembering bare bone facts, but can easily elaborate on the big picture, and will use one fact they know to help them in what they don't know. This is my secondary temperament, as I've said, and it plays a role in how I study. I use nmemonic devices to take a small set of facts and put it into something big and solid, such as a nonsense word that will cover a whole idea, not just a single fact. If Cholerics do not find a subject to be important to their goals, then they will become bored and will not give of their full efforts in the course.


Melancholies are slow and steady drivers, most apt to analyze traffic and follow the flow of it. They tend not to be erratic drivers, and are usually very predictable in their driving habits. They do, however, want elaborate details on how to get to unknown places, and also keep a schedule as to where they need to go and when.

As for studying, Melancholies will use their time wisely in studying slow and steady. They want to absorb the details, and can be perfectionists in getting all of the answers completely correct. This temperament group is noted, by Dr. LaHaye, to have the highest IQ scores of the four. Their analytic minds can tear apart facts and memorize them very easily. Abstract ideas that cannot be memorized may create a problem for them. The ideas and facts are easy, but application is a Choleric strong point.

Phlegmatics are the "Sunday drivers." We are normally very slow, lest we have a secondary temperament that likes to manifest when behind the wheel, like mine does.*Bigsmile* Normally, Phlegmatics are the easiest to spot on the road because they'll follow the speed limit exactly, and not go over. I would normally say we, but since I tend to have more Choleric tendencies here, I use "they." I did have a Phlegmatic problem when I first started driving, however, and that was merging with traffic. Of course, that could probably be because I really learned the bulk of my driving skills on the Autobahn in Germany. There's no way you can hesitate in merging, unless coming to a complete halt and waiting forever and a day, when traffic is zooming past at 90mph+. *Smile*


As far as studying goes, Phlegmatics are procrastinators that can do very well at absorbing a lot of information in very little time. Like I said before, I don't recommend this as a habit to develop, because it causes a lot of distress when studying for intensive college courses down the road. Research is not done well at the last minute. I know, trust me. Phlegmatics must push themselves to get things done, or else they may postpone readings and assignments until the last minute. They must set priorities, and stick with them, or else suffer the consequences of their procrastination. One other thing I know from experience, is that I do not study past a certain point after an intense session of it, for I just get to a repose in my mind that I just have to stop, and make the statement, that if I don't know it by now, then I just don't know it. I have not agonized over tests. I agonize more over papers that have to be written because that involves much more concentration, to me.


Any questions about these habits before I start focusing on more positive elements of temperament?










© Copyright 2005 Beth Barnett (UN: angellove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beth Barnett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/337743-Study-and-driving-habits