*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/278708-The-First-Day-of-the-Hugs-and-Purrs-Festival
Rated: E · Book · Animal · #800641
My book. Does it have any possiblities, or not?
#278708 added April 3, 2004 at 1:22am
Restrictions: None
The First Day of the Hugs and Purrs Festival
Mews, Dear Human,

It is summer and the first day of the Annual Hugs and Purrs Festival. This year is special. I am three years old, and now I can participate in all the festivities. I wonder who will be chosen to close the Festival and send Hugs and Purrs to the ancestors?

It is said that the Hugs and Purrs Festival originated on Makreel, ancient home of her race. The Makreela herself began the first Festival when all of the ships had come home after the Great War, carrying her Beloved, and the many brave cats that had fought against the horrible Blights in order to save the Kingdom. She had declared that once each year, all would lay down their weapons and greet their fellow beings with hugs and purrs. I love studying about the old days, and I wonder how that first Festival was really celebrated.

Here on Terra the festival is a three-day event. Today was the big Family Picnic and Chunknip Melon Throwing Contest. I gobbled down breakfast and helped mewma pack our basket full of goodies. Mewma made 20 of her famous Catnip Crème Pies, and we packed them in their own special little cooler. Mewma also made Salmon Cakes, and Tuna Tortes, and whole baked chickens filled with catnip dressing, salads of fresh catnip greens, and fruity Chunknip melon baskets. I know my cousins, the Millikitts, will bring some of their famous Sugared Mouse Tails. Then we set off for the great field by Golden Lake, where the Picnic is held.

When we arrived, many cats were already there, setting out feasts on the long tables. While the adult cats sat up the tables, I went to play with my friends Primmy and Shazon. We watched as some of the older cats participated in Three-Pawed Sack Races, and Wheelbarrow Races. Then we tried our paws at the lawn bowling, which was set up for the younger kitts. We all won little prizes. Finally all the food was set out, and the Prince and Princess declared the Picnic officially open. We all tried to sample some of every dish. I was so stuffed I could hardly waddle. Then came the Chunknip Melon Throwing Contest. All the mancats,even pawpa, lined up and threw their melons. Of course, the Prince easily won. Afterwards all the cats raced out on the field and ate up the yummy melons. Then we washed the sticky melon off our paws, and most of the cats settled down for a nice little nap.

Just as the sun was setting a band started playing in the Gazebo. Cats woke up and stretched from their little catnaps, and soon everycat was dancing. There was my cousin Daenida, in a lovely yellow sundress, dancing with her handsome winkwink, Cookie. And there was our Auntie Shibui, in a lovely turquoise chiffon creation, which set off her beautiful eyes. She was dancing with our Uncle Tucker, who always looks so dashing. Even my cousin BugBug, who was dressed in a dainty pink frock, and was dancing with some of the cute teen kitts. Oh, they all looked so lovely. (sigh) I wish I was all grown up, and had a lovely dress and a handsome wink-wink with which to dance the night away.

Purrs, Little Mim


© Copyright 2004 Cynaemon (UN: noelanicat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cynaemon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/278708-The-First-Day-of-the-Hugs-and-Purrs-Festival