*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/261805-I-dont-mesh-well-with-professors
Rated: 18+ · Book · None · #488496
Only rule you must follow if you know me: You can't get mad at me for what I write.
#261805 added October 16, 2003 at 1:52am
Restrictions: None
I don't mesh well with professors
Hehe, even though I think it sounds like a formal arguement, I don't think I'm making any friends among the professors.

Hello Professor Sevigny,

This is Nick Vaughan from your Accounting 101 class on Mon. and Wed. 2:25 - 3:40. At the end of class on Wed. 10/15, you said that my article was not a business periodical. You said it was a business advertisement. I'm writing to you to argue that my article is indeed a business periodical and is not an advertisement.

The dictionary meaning of an advertisement is:
A notice, such as a poster or a paid announcement in the print, broadcast, or electronic media, designed to attract public attention or patronage. (www.dictionary.com)

The dictionary meaning of a periodical is:
A publication issued at regular intervals of more than one day. (www.dictionary.com)

Expressline magazine is in no way trying to attract the attention of the public to Stop & Shop. It is a free monthly business periodical exclusively for the employees of Stop & Shop and is not given out to the customers. It has articles of important events regarding the Stop & Shop Supermarkets Company (such as Business Day 2003 in the March issue, which is a day celebrated by Stop & Shop associates only, not the customers) and also publishes letters that customers have written to point out good deeds the employees have done. I have also talked to the store manager, John Brick, of Stop & Shop, Norwell. He agrees that Expressline is a business periodical and by no means is a company advertisement.

If my memory serves me correct, you said to me that the Wall Street Journal was a business periodical that I could have gotten an article from. By the dictionary definition of a periodical, it is not. The Wall Street Journal is published every day anew. Having it published everyday makes the Wall Street Journal in no way a periodical. It is classified as a newspaper though, which was another choice in your assignment.

I hope I have cleared up this mistake. Please feel free to e-mail me back if there is any questions remaining about the periodical or if you would like to take a second look at the whole March 2003 issue of Expressline for the Stop & Shop Company. Thank you for your time in reading my arguement and I hope to get a reply.

Nick Vaughan

© Copyright 2003 MajikRobot (UN: majikrobot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MajikRobot has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/261805-I-dont-mesh-well-with-professors