*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/241965-anecdotal
by a_g_
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #181604
just your average... er... correction: just your normal... correction: me.
#241965 added May 17, 2003 at 9:56pm
Restrictions: None
anecdotal
Me: No wonder Latin died! [The Romans] had names for every type of prepositional phrase known to man.
Friend: So who killed Latin? It was probably Constantine in Byzantium with the knife, er, the Christians.
Me: In the study?
Friend: No, in the parlor room. Either that or it was Nero in the kitchen with the fiddle.

That last one really had me laughing.

It's the anecdotes to history that make it interesting. And, of course, it's the anecdotes we hardly ever learn. The Roman Emperor Caligula gave his favorite horse a government position. Simon Bolivar tried to create a United States of South America by uniting Latin American countries (obviously that fell through). The first colonists at Jamestown may have been poisoned by underground Catholics sent by the Spaniards to ruin Britain's chances in the New World. A certain president (I want to say Teddy Roosevelt, but I'm not entirely sure) regularly went skinny-dipping in the Potomac River; a reporter discovered this and sat on his clothes until he would submit to an interview, and he did.

Still disturbed by a single few-seconds-long clip of a movie...

Been in a funky mood all day, no reason I can pinpoint.

Done studying for tonight. Hardly done anything at all. Tomorrow is going to be a killer, and Monday night as well.

© Copyright 2003 a_g_ (UN: a_g_ at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a_g_ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/241965-anecdotal