*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
5
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076129-Three-Mentors
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2313403
A blog about music from my unique perspective (also a spot for some poetry I’ve written)
#1076129 added September 8, 2024 at 2:29pm
Restrictions: None
Three Mentors
The three people who have guided and shaped my writing style the most since I've been here are Joey's So Hot He's Melting , Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 and Jack Tyler, who is not currently a member.

The first one I met is Joey, who was introduced to me by Schnujo's in Alabama within perhaps a week of my joining. Joey has helped me immensely, providing line by line guidance and extensive editing and stylistic advice. He insists on my best possible work and is honest enough to let me know when I've done a less than stellar job on an item and where I went wrong. One afternoon we spent a few minutes brainstorming in my Google Doc together (he appeared as "Anonymous Iguana" *Laugh*) That was an amusing and helpful experience.

As I've progressed in my writing to place in three Official WdC Contests, I've heard less and less from him… I assume this means I don't need line by line mentorship anymore. Perhaps he's even proud of his Padawan, as he has called me. If I'm ever stumped on a story or feel like it's dragging in the dirt, I know who to turn to.

The second person I met is Max Griffin. I first approached him through his CrossTimbers Review Forum, and he's been an immense help over the months. I submit all my Official Contest entries to him for a review before the end of the month. He's big on showing versus telling, and he taught me the basic trilogy of what makes good stories tick: goals, stakes and obstacles.

Max's reviews are super helpful and in-depth, sharing ways to engage readers more vividly within the story and pointing out plot holes or elements in question. He is always encouraging and happy to help out, and I've followed along as he joined forces with Allan Charles to create the Short Fiction Authors Roundtable, where writers can exchange feedback on each other's works in a safe space. We can even share things with publishing potential there.

The final person I've met here who's left a lasting impression on me is Jack Tyler. He's a successful published author who has been intermittently present on WdC for many years. I met him almost as soon as he rejoined in September of 2023, when he chose "The Name’s Daisy as one of the first stories he reviewed.

We quickly became good buddies, and he was always ready to read and review my stories with warm and helpful advice. I was humbled to receive five stars and a corresponding award from Jack on many items over the months, which he proudly gathered into his Hall of Fame with other stories he'd found.

Between our friendship, his feedback and my reading and reviewing of his posted stories, I got to know him quite well. He was one of the few authors here whom I fully trusted… only meaning that his old-fashioned writing style synced perfectly with my fussbudget preferences. He knows how to approach a grim subject tastefully and realistically.

I was quite saddened when Jack decided to leave WdC once more this July, but he bequeathed me with a treasured gift before he did: the complete draft manuscript of one of his crime novels. I'd admired the sample he posted briefly here, and expressed dismay that I wouldn't get to find out what happened next.

Whenever I write an exciting drama, I remember him and say fondly, "I bet Jack would love this story." Someday when he returns to WdC, we'll catch up on everything and resume our friendship where it left off.

In the meantime, check out his books on Amazon!  


Word Count: 607.

© Copyright 2024 Amethyst Angel🍂🧡 (UN: greenwillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amethyst Angel🍂🧡 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076129-Three-Mentors