*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076033-Rx-for-Writers-Block
Rated: 13+ · Book · Philosophy · #2020664
Repository for my Zanier Ideas... on writing, and life.
#1076033 added September 1, 2024 at 4:10pm
Restrictions: None
Rx for Writer's 'Block'
A literal Writer's Plow Protocol


A plan for writing when writer, muse, and editor come to a standstill.





Step One: Decisions: What do you want to write? When? (Exact time, and a minimum and maximum amount of time) Where? Most likely place. Who (subject and audience) Why? How? (e.g. paper, keyboard, Scrivener or Docs)


Step two: Set the timer to remind you. This should be at least an hour after the decision.


Step three: When you worry about your block--and you will, or you're cured--think only of having the satisfaction of having written something. Imagine a screen full of text, or a page. You did it, and you are closer to your goal.


Step Four: Arrive with the tools you need. Set your timer, and take down anything that comes to mind with wild abandon, even if it is "Oh, gees I don' know what to write." (typo deliberate.) Keep at it for the amount of time you have, delete nothing yet. Even if you get nothing, you still succeeded in slogging--and you can't hit your stride unless you're willing to slog into the arena. Congratulations, you are a writer you did it.


Step five: Reward. Take a few notes of what you want to do next time (potentially setting a new appointment) and mark it down as successfully showing up. Then go have your reward, which could be anything from the healthy to the indulgent. (Just be within your safe norms.)





Doing this will prove to you that you are a writer, it is quick and easy. Please note that the minimum should be revoltingly small, anywhere from two to five minutes, and the maximum should be slightly less than your comfortable amount because ideally you want a few exciting ideas left over for next time.






© Copyright 2024 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1076033-Rx-for-Writers-Block