*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075773
Rated: 13+ · Book · Philosophy · #2020664
Repository for my Zanier Ideas... on writing, and life.
#1075773 added August 26, 2024 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
First Line Technique
One way to build in a first line is to make the second paragraph start with a statement of the scene goal.


I have to get a ride to work now. I've got a fifteen minute window. I am going to be in so much trouble.


Okay, that's a second paragraph. But what is the first? Well, the automatic thought is the first phase of the reaction part of the MRU, which is the second paragraph and is what the POV does. The first one is what the POV sees, smells, tastes or touches. So now we have a goal for the scene, what do we have for a first paragraph?


What could trigger that thought?


You could describe his car not starting, or being borrowed by a roommate, or even a phone call from said roommate that PROMISED fifteen minutes ago that he or she would be there.


The first paragraph then is something simple, easy to understand, but then the second both follows from it and does so in a way that tells you a lot more about what is going on. The character is going to work, surrounded by inconsiderate people, and feels very concerned about getting on time. Maybe they're anxious or they have pushed it too far. We also find out that he has gambling debts to professional lenders, so a loss of job means a loss of limb.


And now you have drummed up one of many stories from that little goal.


By putting the goal at the start of the second paragraph, you ensure that the reader will be able to keep score on the POV's progress and keep going. All the vicissitudes of the story will be clearer instantly to the reader and the writer. And how many different story lines could you drum up from that one second paragraph intro?


This empowers you to find something to tinker with during blocks so that you can keep going. It's not a rule, it's a tool so if something better comes along do it. (The rule is, in order to do plotted fiction, make sure the reader knows the goal ASAP.)

© Copyright 2024 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075773