*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075662-Voice-From-The-Dead-Part-7---Sidelined
Rated: 18+ · Book · Horror/Scary · #2284649
Adventures In Living With The Mythical
#1075662 added August 24, 2024 at 1:03pm
Restrictions: None
Voice From The Dead Part 7 - Sidelined
          The light at the gate was very dim so the picture to me was just a black box on a white sheet of paper. I guessed Crash could see it though, cause with just a single glance, he leaped out of the car and disappeared into the tree line. Another blur disappeared after him. "What the hell," I asked Roam.
          "Sophia is going to get him," he said. There was a look on Roam's face that I couldn't read. Plus it was still very dark. "She'll bring him back," Roam said. "She always does."
          I jumped back in Crash's car, and pulled around their gravel drive. I only ground one gear! I mean, I only used one gear, but still, the transmission will live. I followed Roam into the house, who walked over towards the kitchen and kissed his wife, then turned to us. They were both still human, Cecily was over in the corner still human as well. Donte was sitting at the kitchent able across from Eleanor, looking down at his hands and not raising his eyes to me or anyone. Then there was the guys.
          Kris and Sean were leaned together on the love seat, half dozing. It looked as if they were doing that kid thing were they're trying to stay awake, but their eye lids are just too heavy. I'd have snapped a photo if Kris wouldn't try to break my arm for it. Zack leand against the couch snoring away and Elouise was next to him doing the same.
          At least there was better lighting in there. Grabbing the print out again, I got a better look at the image. It was a camera still. A blurry shot of a werewolf attacking a security guard. The entire print out had the mosaic tile look of a low resolution image being blown up way passed it's own ability. The guard's face was obscure, the attack angle weird, but still, it'd be convincing enough for a jury. One that believed in werewolves that is. Not that they ever get a jury trial.
          "I'll have it deleted by morning," Eleanor said. "If they have any backups not on the network we'll have trouble, but I don't think that will be a problem."
          "What I don't get," I glanced around the room. I was standing near Roam who stood in the doorway between the kitchen area and the living room. "Is why the hell are they bothering with this? Why won't they just come attack us?"
          "We're sovereign citizens of this nation," Roam said. "They're not. They can't just..."
          "Oh bull shit," Kris muttered from the corner, he half yawned, then said, "If they're 'Nobility' or whatever, they have diplomatic immunity, they would just be deported." I'm pretty certain he fell all the way asleep by then.
          I raised my eyebrows at Roam, giving him a questioning look. Kris took the words right out of my mouth. "Well," Roam said, then looking down, "I-I'm not sure."
          "Eleanor will remove the image," I said. "So, why are we even bothered about this?"
          "Look," Roam said, "Sophia will get Crash. Then, we'll have everything well in hand."
          "What did Crash do for you when he was here?"
          That stopped everyone. "What," Tanika asked stepping forward. "What did you say?"
          "What did Crash do for you when he was here?"
          "That's..." Roam started, then said, "That's classified."
          I laughed, "That's rich. No, it's not. You're not government. If you were, Crash would be locked up, we'd be in a motel somewhere eating crappy fast food and hanging out with Ms. Congeniality over there," I motioned towards Cecily. She snarled, but didn't say anything.
          "Well, then it's sensitive, and I don't want to broach that," Roam said.
          What bugged me the most about the entire situation was that I was missing something. You have to understand, the most I've interacted with the Rodriguez pack had been about a year ago or so when the first "Nobility" thing went down. From there, Donte and I exchanged messages and the occasional greeting card, but that was about it. Eleanor gave me a hello once on the blog, then deleted it. Roam and Tanika? Nothing.
          We were essentially waiting around. The guys went out to their prospective beds. It was a nice enough place that we'd all had our own bedroom, though I never asked who we were putting out with this. A little snooping revealed a bit more to me. Killian's name was on more than a couple things in there.
          Come to think of it, when was the last time we had seen Killian? It had been several hours prior, during that botched debriefing we'd been given. He was gone. Roam was in the living room, standing towards the kitchen. Tanika was by his side, essentially. Eleanor was over at the kitchen table, staring down at her laptop like always it felt like. So, who did that leave?
          Killian and Donte. It was weird, I'd never seen either one of them in the room at the exact same time the entire trip. Donte was gone with Roam. Then when they got back, Killian was still inside. Wasn't he?
          No, he wasn't. What the hell was going on?
          The door to my room was, of course, locked. I didn't lock it, but that wouldn't be much of a problem. The military teaches you a few things. One of which is how to bypass locked doors. Especially when you don't want to wait over an hour to sign a key out just to get a mop from the mop closet. Blockbuster has long since been defunct, but their products still come in handy for me from time to time. That blue and yellow card is just flexible enough to bypass basic door locks. A simple slip into the jamb and press down on the latch, and the door swung freely open. Thank you, Blockbuster!
          I looked at the door knob. Someone had reversed it. They placed the lock on the outside. It was one of those push style knobs, the ones you push then turn to lock. This entire thing was getting out of hand. I went over to the room that Elouise was staying in, but she was out, snoring loudly. Much louder than I'd ever hear her snore.
          Everything appeared haphazard. We had been locked in with the fastest rush jobs in all of rush jobs. If it wasn't for the fact that our door pulled inward, I was willing to bet they'd have just slid a chair under the knob. The gang was drugged on something and Crash was off on his own again, doing God knows what with Sophia. I needed answers, and I wasn't about to just wait around and hoped Crash survived long enough to find them.
          Down the stairs. I started limping as I rounded the corner, my knee and hip was exhausted. Which meant the pain was going to come, which also meant I was probably going to be in the floor soon without help. But damn it, I didn't care. Someone knew something and I was going to find out what. I walked across the yard in the dark, until I was picked up by a dark furred figure.
          "You're supposed to be in your room," he snarled.
          "Roam I presume."
          All I could see in the darkness was eye-shine. But it certainly could have been him.
          "Why are you out?"
          "Why are you tricking Crash?"
          Clawed, haired fingers grabbed the collar of my shirt and began tightening it. "I could kill you right here, you know."
          "Yes," I gasped, "but Crash would go to war on you."
          That stopped him. "Go back to your room," He snarled. Then dropped me a little too hard. It took everything I had in me to stay upright at that moment. But damn it, I wasn't about to collapse in front of him.
          "What are you doing to him," I asked again. He didn't respond, just turned. If I could see his ears, they would have been flattened in shame. "Just go back to your room," he said. "And don't ask questions you don't want answered."
          "Is it questions I don't want answered," I asked. "Or ones you don't want answered?"
          To those two questions, he didn't respond. Part of me wishes I'd continued snooping around the grounds that night. I was exhausted, my hip throbbing, my knee weak, but still. Maybe I could have figured something else out. Perhaps the outcome of everything could have been a lot less bitter sweet if I had figured things out sooner than I did.
          I'm no Columbo, though. I'm only human. Those little idiosyncrasies that all the detectives always catch on television just normally go right over my head. It does one little good to wonder, to sit and worry at night watching the stars move across the sky as you wish for your eyes to close when your head hits the pillow.
          When I finally went to sleep that night, dawn had just cracked over the horizon, not quite breaking the day open yet. There was no sign of Crash. That didn't sit right, either.
          It doesn't feel good being sidelined. It doesn't feel good being kept under lock and key with people watching your every step, the same people who are supposed to be friends and associates. People you've worked with in the past. One thing was certain that early morning when I finally started to drift off. I was beginning to understand why Crash didn't talk to this pack at all.

© Copyright 2024 Louis Williams (UN: lu-man at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Louis Williams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075662-Voice-From-The-Dead-Part-7---Sidelined