*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074511-Jadie
Rated: 18+ · Book · Entertainment · #2321114
This is a book for the activity that Geminigem is hosting on her forum.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1074511 added August 19, 2024 at 2:07pm
Restrictions: None
Jadie
"I love you Jadie," Ernie said. "You're so lovely and pure. I raised you and now that you're getting a lot bigger, it's time to show you the world!"

The small house plant shook a little as Ernie carried it down the steps of his apartment building. It wasn't damaged, the strong woody stem was firmly anchored in the soil by strong roots.

Still its care taker believed his plant had feelings. "It's okay, Jadie," he said. "Just a few bumps. We're going to Dessire's Garden Supply. Get you a lovely new pot so you can keep growing. I'll give you some fresh cool water when we finish transplanting you. Sounds good?"

The succulent made no reply. Despite having thousands of mouths in its leaves, Jadie lacked the capacity for vocal communication.

Ernie didn't care that his plant was non verbal. It had its own way of showing gratitude; by thriving and making more beautiful plump leaves.

He continued down the street where he encountered the building's gossip, Ms. Kippling. "Hello, Ernie," she said. "Got a new pet there have you?"

Meanwhile, Ms. Kippling's French Poodle, Eclair, vigorously shoved its snout into Ernie's crotch in typical dog fashion. This jostling almost caused Ernie to drop poor Jadie. He gripped his plant's pot more firmly.

"I, er, yes I do," Ernie answered. "Ah, um, I have to keep walking. Jadie needs re-potting. Garden shop's still a few blocks from here. Bye."

For a middle aged man, Ernie was quite nimble. He deftly swiveled away from Eclair's nosy snout and continued on his way.

Soon they came to the stoplight at the end of their block. It was the middle of the day so all four lanes of Walnut Street were roaring with traffic.

Ernie spent the time waiting for the light to change talking to his plant. "You see this Jadie?" He said. "This is the intersection of the street we live on and another one called tenth street. Dessire's Garden Supply is only two more blocks from here."

Finally it was safe to cross. Ernie quickly and carefully walked through the zebra stripe cross walk.











Prompt:Take Your Houseplant for a Walk Day (7/27
© Copyright 2024 Twilight Sparkle (UN: scarypotato14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Twilight Sparkle has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074511-Jadie