*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074298-Let-Me-Go
Rated: 18+ · Book · Holiday · #2321438
A place to encourage me to enter more contests
#1074298 added July 22, 2024 at 9:43pm
Restrictions: None
Let Me Go

Let Me Go

By Mousethyme

Prompt: Song “Fast Car”

Secondary Inspiration: (Song "Let Me Go" by Christian Kane)

Contest: Rhythms and Writing

Word Count: 416



Dan was under the hood of his Black Chevy Impala. He swore and threw the wrench. “Slow piece of junk.” Dan sat on the picnic table with his feet on the bench and lit a cigarette.

“It doesn’t need to be fast to get us out of here,” said Julie.

“The car barely runs; and what’s this us stuff?”
“You know you can’t leave me behind.”

“Your father is a State Trooper. He’d never let you go.”

“So, we leave state. It’s only 20 miles to the border.”

“We’d never make it that far.”

“How do you know for sure?”

“I’ve only got a quarter tank of gas.”

“Then what are you going to do? I’ve got a hundred dollars saved. That will make it well past the border.”

“I don’t need your money. I’m going to drive until I run out of gas then hitch a ride. It’s how I roll. No attachments to anything. I’ll get a job or something then move on when I have enough money.”

“Just because you are a drifter, Dan, doesn’t mean you can just drift by me.”

“I’ve been here for four months, Julie. That's a record for me.”

“But you’ve been antsy. I’ve seen it. Especially in the last few weeks.”

“I can’t take you. There are too many unanswered questions.”

“Like whether or not I’m pregnant?”

Dan stumbled away from the table.

“What? Does that change things?”

“No, it doesn’t. It just makes it clearer that you must stay here.”

“You would abandon me and your child?”

“I never said I was a role model or a father.”

“You’d still leave despite the baby?”

“I think I’ve made that clear.”

“You just want to leave and without me. I will give the baby to someone who is nothing like you."

“Whatever you think is right.”

Julie slapped Dan’s face. “You bastard. My father was right about you.”

“So now you know.” Dan shut the hood and opened the driver’s door. "Now let me get out of here before I do something we will both regret.”

Dan got in the car. Julie tried to hold the door, but Dan easily ripped it from her grasp and started the engine.

“Goodbye trap of a town.”

Dan stepped on the gas throwing gravel at Julie. Julie stood there until she could no longer see his taillights. She was crying.

© Copyright 2024 Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074298-Let-Me-Go