*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073610-Down-in-the-Valley
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1073610 added July 6, 2024 at 9:23am
Restrictions: None
Down in the Valley
Might as well continue to discuss my travel plans on Saturdays. For now.

Nothing really changed this week. I'm supposed to meet with the travel agent on Wednesday, at which point I'll hopefully have a better idea of what I'll be doing.

The shifting political climate in France is a bit concerning, but it's hard to imagine it making them any more grumpy about American visitors. And I say "visitor" because that's how I prefer to think of myself, though, in this case, it'll be hard to make a case for that over "tourist."

If the situation does deteriorate, though, I might just concentrate on Belgium. Plenty of stuff I want to see (and drink) there.

From everything I've heard, the grumpiness is mostly a Paris thing, and it's not my plan to spend much, if any, time in that city. Though I'll schedule the visit to begin after the Olympics, I'm sure Parisians will have had their fill of tourists going in Seine.

(No. I will not get tired of that pun anytime soon.)

So let me tell you one thing I know I want to do (whether I'll actually get to do it or not is a different issue): spend some time in la Vallée de la Loire,   a region in western and central France.

The Loire valley may not be as well-known as Burgundy or Bordeaux, but it's a huge wine-making area. Other agriculture is prominent, too, from what I hear, but I don't care much about that bit. Specifically, I'm interested in Vouvray, which is a white wine (chenin blanc) that benefits greatly from the particular soil and climate of the valley. They export a few bottles to the US, and it's generally delicious; what I want to do is try the ones they selfishly keep to themselves.

Chenin blanc produced elsewhere is usually ass, but Vouvray is my favorite white wine.

There are also les chàteaux, which are usually interesting, historically and architecturally. Seeing castles is a remarkably touristy activity, but whatever. I did some of that in England and Wales, although the French castles are reportedly much better preserved.

I want to do other stuff, too, but a trip to the Loire valley has been on my fuck-it list for many years.

© Copyright 2024 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073610-Down-in-the-Valley