*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073542-4th-of-July-2024-Musings
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
Life, Adventure, Family, Writing what else is there? Random thoughts.
#1073542 added July 4, 2024 at 6:02pm
Restrictions: None
4th of July 2024 Musings...
Just some musings on the 4th on July. They're fairly positive, upbeat musings...

What does the 4th of July mean to me? A lot.

Me, decorated in my Patriot gear!

One of my earliest memories was my parents and family going down to the bi-centennial parade in Manchester, NH. I was just a kid, but it was impressed on me that it was a big day and I wouldn’t experience another milestone like this. I have a few pics from that day, but they’re a bit faded now. I often think back of my family walking up from my house to Deerfield Park in Manchester to watch the fireworks. Fireworks bring out the little kid in me. They capture an “awe factor” It’s a reminder of Freedom to me and having an appreciation of that freedom.

Growing up when I did in NH, civics was important. I learned a lot about NH government as well as the nation’s. I think the one of the lasting impressions I have from that period is that “Fair” means a lot. And it’s important to me that I’m a fair minded person.

In 1986, I entered military service on 8 July. Not quite the 4th, but I remember the spirit of patriotism was soaring high in the nation. It was the time of Reagan, and I was very proud to serve under Reagan as a president.

Between 1986-to about 2005ish, the 4th meant a time to relax, enjoy the lazy summer day, BBQ, fly your flag and tip your hat to American’s birthday with a fireworks display. Then in 2005, our family went to Avalon, CA on Catalina Island for the 4th. It was amazing. Nothing said “home” California style than the golf cart parade and the USC marching band. After a BBQ on the beach, we went and saw the fireworks on the beach in Avalon. We went to Avalon from about 2005 to 2012. It was a memorable time for us and the boys. They still have warm memories of the 4th. Even 2012 which was overrun by the in-laws.

This year we're off to Ventura for a picnic, relaxing times, patriotic music and fireworks.


So to all the founding fathers – thank you. Happy 4th to the USA!!

Home of the Brave and Land of the Free.
We have a Republic. Let’s keep it.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."


Fun Facts:

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, 2 of our founding fathers, died on the same day - 4th July 1826. 50 years after the Declaration of Independence.

200 copies of the Declaration of Independence were drafted, but only 27 are accounted for.

Congress declared the 4th of July an official holiday - in 1870!

The Star Spangled Banner was inspired by the War of 1812. A poem put to music, it became the USA's official national anthem in 1931.

What did you do for the 4th?




© Copyright 2024 StephBee (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1073542-4th-of-July-2024-Musings