*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1072949-One-Summer-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2320570
My replies to interesting/weird prompts . A blog challenge. Let's celebrate unique days.
#1072949 added June 20, 2024 at 5:56pm
Restrictions: None
One Summer Day
         Lynn glanced at her three young children as they trooped to the family car.
         Beach towels? Check. Sand and water toys? Water guns hidden in the garage? Check. Flip flops? Chris convinced not to wear his usual socks and runners? Check. Picnic basket packed and loaded into trunk? Three different drinks? Danielle's apples pre-sliced? Lots of cheese for Carrie? Extra cookies? Check. Napkins for inevitable spills? Check. Fuel tank filled. Check. First aid kit restocked with bandages? Check.
         "The sooner you click those seat belts the sooner we'll be at the park."
         Lynn smiled as the unmistakable sound of three seat belts locking into place echoed.
         "Are we ready? Then off we go!"
         Every few seconds Lynn snuck a quick peek at the rear view mirror.
         So far, so good. Everyone is still breathing and in the back seat. There's always a first time. Maybe, for once, there won't be any squabbling.
         Her shoulders stiffened. Three voices squawked at once rising in pitch and volume to be heard.
         "Chris is breathing on me."
         "Carrie hit me."
         "Danielle is sticking her tongue out. Make her stop."
         Just ignore them. Don't let them rattle you. It's a short drive. They'll be outside and running around soon enough.
         Lynn gritted her teeth and readjusted her sunglasses. With a sigh of relief she signaled the turn into the wide parking lot of the local playground.
         "If I hear even one seat belt returning to its base I'm turning this car around. You know the rules. When this vehicle is parked and I turn the engine off you may free yourselves. Okay, you can safely open the doors. Have you looked first? Watch for traffic. Remember, stay together."
         With a grunt Lynn hoisted the battered red wagon from the trunk and began loading it even as she squinted to follow her offspring's mad dash.
          No, no, there's no need to help me. You just run along to the splash pad. We don't want any of that spraying water to go to waste, do we? After all, we are only going to be here for the entire afternoon. Time's a'wasting.
         The familiar fluttering in her chest and the pulsing in her head caused Lynn to pause as she searched for the perfect picnic spot. She clenched her eyes and concentrated on slowing her breathing. In and out, in and out, purposeful breaths.
          There was no reason to fret. Hadn't she prepared for everything? What could go wrong? It's a perfectly gorgeous day. Look, the sun is shining. The kids are having fun.
         For what seemed like a few precious moments Lynn relaxed upon the red plaid blanket she'd spread on the grass. She may have scanned a line or two in the library book she'd thought to bring. She wasn't exactly day-dreaming and the water droplets splattering onto her legs and the pages brought her back to reality. Carrie vibrated in front of her. Hair plastered to her head and arms waving, her eldest had a message to deliver.
         "Mom! Come quick. It's Chris."
         Scrambling to her feet, Lynn scooped up the bag she never left home without.
         "What is it? Is he hurt...again?"
         Carrie never looked back as she ran towards the screeching kids and the glittering plumes of water dousing them. Her mother could only follow.
         Oh, Chris. What have you done this time? It's been a bit of a reprieve since our last emergency room visit. I think your health card is in the car. I hope I packed enough bandages.
         Most of the dripping children stepped aside and permitted Lynn to crouch next to her shivering son on the concrete pad. With a practised eye she quickly scanned his skin for injuries. Chris batted away her frantic hands and attempts to embrace him.
         "Get off me, Mom. I'm okay. It's my new friend. He needs a bandage. You remembered to bring them, right?"
         Lynn could only nod her head. The scream that had been rising in her constricted throat had to be swallowed. As she opened her trusty first aid kit and pulled out a few bandages to pass to the subdued boy's mother, she heard Chris crow.
         "See? I told you my Mom had stuff."
         A clammy hand prodded her tense shoulder and Lynn startled. Her youngest, Danielle, stuttered through purple lips.
         "Is, is it t-t-time for our p-p-picnic? I'm-m s-starving."
          Lynn gestured to her kids. They trudged back to the warm blanket and bundled themselves with their rainbow-hued beach towels. They gulped their juices down while their mother dug around inside the food basket. Carrie espied the cheese and grabbed it, only sharing when her siblings protested. Lynn pulled out the cold cuts and potato salad.
         Where are the paper plates? I know I got them out of the cupboard. Did I not check them off the list?
         "Sorry, I seem to have forgotten the plates. That's okay. We'll use the good china as Nanny referred to it, good ol' napkins. Who wants potato salad?"
         Carrie was the first to notice and so asked the question. "Mom, where are the spoons, or did you pack forks?"
         In reply, Lynn thrust herself to her feet and stomped off. As she swung her arms and marched in a staccato fashion she berated herself.
          Stupid. Stupid. How could you forget plates and cutlery? I knew it. You're losing your mind. It's not fretting, or obsessing to make a list. Now what are we going to do? Eat with our hands? Mittfuls of potato salad? Calm down and think, think.
         Three children sat with their mouths agape witnessing their mother not only talk to herself, but stomp her feet as if experiencing a temper tantrum. They chose to help themselves to the cookies while they watched and waited.
         "Right then," announced Lynn returning to the family al fresco picnic. "Needs must and all that blather. Today we are eating potato salad tacos. Hold out your hands. That's right. Now here is a slice of ham. No, don't bite it yet. Wait, while I scoop out some salad on top of it. Yes, I am using a straw as a substitute spoon. Now, watch this. You roll the ham around the potato mixture and, voila, you have a taco to eat. Sure, it's kind of messy, Danielle. I didn't forget the napkins. What do you think? Do we have a new treat on our hands?"
         Three heads nodded in unison as the children chewed.
          I should be proud of myself. Crisis averted and panic persuaded to desert me. What is a picnic anyway, if not finger foods? Maybe I should forget things more often.          1109 words          International Picnic Day AND International Panic Day
© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1072949-One-Summer-Day