*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1072090-Chairs
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1072090 added June 3, 2024 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
Chairs
Prompt: Chair
Do you have a favorite chair? What do you think of chairs in general and what does the word chair mean in all its connotations?
Here is an article on the "Astronomer's chair" if you're interested.

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/a-brief-history-of-the-astronomers-chair/

-------

Yes, in fact, I do have three favorite chairs. My top favorite one is an old rocking chair, which I put in my bedroom, in front of the sliding doors that look outside to the open green course and the trees at the back of the house. I read there every afternoon. My other favorite one is the computer chair. It is a favorite because I can adjust the height and I can swivel around in it to get a book from my side bookshelf, if need be. The third favorite chair is an armchair at the dinette that has several layers of small pillows that I sit on when I eat. I guess the two plush recliners in the living area are good, too, but somehow, they never became favorites. Maybe because of their huge size. Huge things scare me.

Yet, my most favorite place to sit is not a chair but the top of my bed. After an early supper, each evening, I sit on it with the cat on my side to read and do puzzles. What can be more relaxing than that!

Talking about chairs, as chair is a versatile word with a lot of meanings and uses, a chair can be more than a piece of furniture. Aside from its seating implication, it may mean authority and leadership, as in "chairperson," "chairwoman," or "chairman." It may also mean, in academy, professorship or a faculty position in a university department. Then, a chair can be musical, too, when it refers to a specific position in an orchestra or ensemble, as in "first-chair violinist". Another musical chair is the children's game, that has to do with quick reflexes and competition for the children (and sometimes adults, also) to scramble to find a seat when the music stops. Then, of course, as the article points out, there's that astronomer's chair. I wonder what the stars, planets, and life in cosmos would really think about that one!

In addition, unfortunately, the worst chair term refers to the "electric chair" as a method of execution by electrocution. So sad!

Now, after thinking about all these chairs, I need to go sit down in my rocking chair with a cup of tea and watch the outside. Maybe my academic title, then, could be, "that old lady in the old rocking chair." *Rolling*




© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1072090-Chairs