*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
6
9
11
13
15
17
19
23
24
26
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071881-20240530-Traditional-v-Vanity-Publishing
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1071881 added May 30, 2024 at 12:04am
Restrictions: None
20240530 Traditional v Vanity Publishing
Traditional v Vanity Publishers

Another day, another WdC question.

Here’s the question from a WdCer (whose name I forget… sorry!): How to tell the difference between a traditional publisher and a vanity publisher.

Okay, first, some definitions.

Self-publishing is when the writer is in control of all aspects of the work’s publication. They pay for the editing, the cover, the hard copies, the marketing, arranging the e-books, hiring the narrator for or recording the audiobooks, everything. The writer goes out of their way to get the best deal, does all the leg work, everything. They also then keep all moneys made (unless sharing with a narrator), and after costs have been covered, it is all profit, no extra costs.

A traditional publisher charges nothing. They need to think a story has a chance of selling, and they then accept it. They will supply in-house editing. They will arrange a cover artist. They will format for e-book. They will arrange audiobook completion (if they do audiobooks). The writer is most often involved in decisions and there are some things that are negotiated (editing and covers, though you should not be charged), but the publisher takes the entire financial risk. For that reason, the publisher takes a larger chunk of the moneys the book makes because they have costs to cover, and then a business to maintain. If a writer does not have an agent, most trad publishers also negotiate for ancillary properties on behalf of the writer (e.g. film, graphic novel, etc.).

A vanity publisher charges, but also supplies services, and has a submission process. Yes, vanity publishers can reject books, because, like a traditional publisher, they should see some return for their effort. In the strictest sense, a vanity publisher can start from a reading fee. Any publisher that charges a reading fee is considered a vanity publisher, as they keep your money even if they reject you. A publisher that charges “only” for editing after accepting a work is also a vanity publisher. But, generally, they will supply a contract that outlines what they will pay for, what the author must pay for and what is a shared cost. Things like cover, editing, formatting, etc. are all things that can be part of a money contract. Usually, it is the marketing where the vanity publisher really gets their money.

ADDENDUM: After writing this, I discovered there are some Vanity Publishers that do not have a real submission process, but accept all works. That is getting increasingly worrisome, to be honest.

So, I have an issue with Vanity Publishing, and recommend people avoid Vanity Publishers at all costs. I will not – as in never – recommend someone use one. I have seen editing that looks like it was done by a twelve year for whom English was their third language. And in marketing – I have seen someone sign a contract saying they’d cover 50% of all marketing. Great, but suddenly she was hit with bills for thousands of dollars because the publisher claims to have put adverts in magazines, set up stalls at conventions, all sorts of things. And I know many who were ignored when it came to their covers. Worst of all, many cannot get their books on Amazon because Amazon knows a scam when they see one (eventually). However, the writer signed the contract, and so it is all on them.

Here’s how the convention worked. The VP had 6 authors, and all had books, all signed contracts to pay 50% of marketing costs. The convention cost the publisher money. They then charged all 6 authors 50%. If the convention cost $1000, they would charge 6 people $500 each, getting $3000. Even after paying the convention fee, they would still make $2000. No cost to the VP, all profit. Yes, the books were on sale, and copies did sell, but not enough for any one author to get their money back.

I will not talk about self-publishing. But I will say this: you know how much it is going to cost, and you are in charge. Self-publishing, in the long run, will be cheaper than Vanity Publishing, no matter how much the initial VP offer is enticing. If choosing between the two, go self-publishing over Vanity Publishing every single time.

So: How to tell the difference between a traditional publisher and a vanity publisher. If they charge money and also say they are going to supply some of their own money into a publishing venture, and they make you submit first, they are a vanity publisher. If they charge you nothing and give you a royalty, they are a traditional publisher. If you pay everything yourself and are aware that is the case, it is self-publishing.

Hope that makes sense.


© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071881-20240530-Traditional-v-Vanity-Publishing