*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
6
9
11
13
15
17
19
23
24
26
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071403-20240520-Agents
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1071403 added May 20, 2024 at 12:20am
Restrictions: None
20240520 Agents
Agents

I asked for some ideas for blog topics that might be of interest to writers and received a heap of suggestions (but more are still needed!), so it’s time for me to hit them.
         The first is a series of questions:
                   To get an agent or not
                   Pros and cons of seeking an agent.
                   How to find a good agent
                   What to do if you don't like your agent and when to jump ship

         These come from different people, so clearly there is some curiosity out there.

Okay, first and foremost, the USA has the best system for agents anywhere in the world. If the agent is a member of the Association of American Literacy Agents, then they are bound by a series of guidelines and expectations that, if they break them, can see them removed from AALA… and you do not go for an agent who is not in that group.
         Make sure you use https://aalitagents.org/ as the Australian Association uses the same initials.

Basically, the agent only charges you if they sell your work, they tell you in writing as soon as a sale is made or money comes in, they help you with finances, they guide you to make choices that benefit you and your career. If they are in the pay of a publisher and push their clients that way, this is against the guidelines, and will see them removed.
         In Australia, for example, an agent can charge a flat fee whether they sell your work or not. In the UK, agents can not only charge flat fees but can be associated with publishing houses. As a sideline, Canadian agents only take Canadian authors (unless they are affiliated with a US agency).

If you want to go for an agent, then you need to read this blog post from Writer Beware! Using an agent from a registered governing body will make it less likely you will have issues. This offers better written advice than I, someone who has been rejected by well over 20 agents in the past 4 years alone, could ever give:

A Writer Beware blog post. Read this! Seriously!  

There are some cons about getting an agent. First, you pay them 20% (or thereabouts) of your income made through writing. Even if you sell it yourself, and not through them (which, with some agent contracts, is not allowed), you must give them 20%. This also covers if you are paid to go to a conference, give a paid talk, anything. And it covers if you sell and make money from other media adaptations. Next, depending on the contract you signed, they might be able to sell to whoever they want, even if you are not happy with a publisher. Finally, they all demand exclusivity, but may not want to represent your short stories, or all your novels. If your contract allows you to also represent yourself in these cases, you will still owe them.

The pros, however, are huge. You have someone advocating for you because they only get paid if you sell, giving you more time to write/edit. They can employ editors of their own (which you can read about the legalities of, and their obligations if doing so, here  ). They can organize marketing and publicity, and they must do this in line with your beliefs or wants. So, if you have an issue with Playboy magazine, they will not be allowed to sell a short story of your to that periodical. They also encourage you to write more, especially if the first work sells well. They can handle legal claims against you or for you, especially if someone plagiarises your work. They will also negotiate to get the best deal if they have competing offers.

I think all the questions are answered in the two blog posts I linked to. I will continue to try to find an agent (I use QueryTracker, FWIW), and if I ever succeed *RollEyes*, I will let everyone know how I go.

Sorry I am passing the buck here, but why reinvent the wheel?


© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071403-20240520-Agents