*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
6
9
11
13
15
17
19
23
24
26
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071310-20240518-Overcoming-Writers-Block
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1071310 added May 18, 2024 at 3:07am
Restrictions: None
20240518 Overcoming Writer's Block
Overcoming Writer’s Block

It seems that nearly every writer goes through a period of Writer’s Block. Nearly, not all, let me be clear on that.

And it seems that nearly every writer who has been through it and come out the other side has their own way of dealing with it.

Now, I am going to be brutally honest here – I have never suffered from Writers Block. But I have successfully helped a few writers get over it.

This is different to Writer’s Malaise (see "20240517 Combatting Writer's Malaise) in that there are no ideas there, the well feels dry, and the motivation is completely gone. It is a combination of everything, resulting in even the concept of writing holds no joy for the writer, maybe even dread. I have been told that you stare at a page and it stays blank. There is not even a hint of inspiration; and there is nothing internal to encourage searching for it. It is also often coupled with a sense of loss; it can be very draining mentally.

So, how did I help the people I helped?

In a few cases, I convinced them it was okay to go through it, that time didn’t matter, and if they didn’t go back to writing, it didn’t matter because they had already created a body of work. That was me putting on my counselor hat, and all of them returned to writing eventually (one it did take four years or so). It was just acceptance that these things can happen, and I think relaxing out of the mode of feeling they had to write helped relax them enough to eventually return to the writing.
         In my opinion, this is not something you can do by yourself, however. This requires a person to be there to help you, to be there when those negative feelings start to become overwhelming, when you feel you have more to say, but don’t know what or how.

In two cases, I got them to try a different art form. One did go back to writing, the other kept on doing the oil painting he’d found and he became rather good at it. I was probably wrong in insisting on an art form though.

Idea 1: Find something else to do.
Let’s start here. I just mentioned I told people to try another art form, so their creativity still had an outlet. But what if they don’t want to do an art form? Or if it is a creative block? Then it seems rather counter-productive to push that.
         Why not take up walking? Going to the gym? Joining a sporting team? Listening to music? Cooking? Gardening? Sewing? Crochet? Gaming? Anything?
         The idea is that you just give the mind something else to focus on. And sometimes that time away will just let the creative juices recharge.

Idea 2: Write your way out of it.
Some people really want to keep writing. In that case, everything in the Writer’s Malaise blog post holds here. But these are especially effective:
         use a prompt;
         write literally anything, even if it makes no sense;
         write in a different genre (reviews are always good to fall back on); &
         transcribe a conversation, TV show, movie, etc.

Idea 3: Write for an audience of one.
This requires you have a friend (so no good for me, then). Simply write whatever they want written. A letter to their accountant? What happened in the footy on the weekend? A recipe for almond prawns? Write it for them!

Idea 4: Read.
Simple, really. But make sure you read fiction and non-fiction and across genres. Just take it all in and let your subconscious find its own inspiration.

Idea 5: Avoid distractions.
Social media, computer blogs, videos, TV – these are all distractions that occupy the thinking process. Staying away from them, sitting in silence, can let the mind wander.

Idea 6: Stay put.
I found this one in a Reddit forum – stay at your desk, and do not move until you have written at least ten words. Like I keep on saying, it doesn’t matter if they make sense, but force yourself into a position where you have to write.

Idea 7: Pretend it doesn’t exist.
Same Reddit threat, this got the most up-votes. Not sure how that works, but it is recommended.

Look, writer’s block is generally borne of the anxiety that you are not living up to the expectations you have of yourself as a writer. So, with that in mind:

Idea 8:
Don’t beat yourself up. Be kind. Give yourself a break. Treat yourself well.


I hope this has been a help to someone.


© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071310-20240518-Overcoming-Writers-Block