*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071126-Know-the-Difference
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2320172
Short story collection based on the album.
#1071126 added June 30, 2024 at 8:32am
Restrictions: None
Know the Difference
Know The Difference

You stroll into the bar, the clingy red dress hugging every delicious curve of your body, and make a beeline for our usual Saturday night corner table.

"Hey, Tina," Sierra says.

You pull your shades from your eyes and toss them on the table. "Hey," you mutter, your voice thick with disappointment.

"Damn, girl, we know that look," Meg says, draping her arm around your shoulder.

"Spill it," Sierra says, moving closer for support.

Tina snatches my whiskey glass and finishes it in one noisy gulp. "I'm done. It's over."

I want to believe her, but it's Tina, and she constantly runs back to Trey.

You stare at me for a long moment. "Dan, order us more whiskey. I'm buying." With that, you turn and rush off toward the bathrooms.

David whistles, "She's going to be a sloppy drunk tonight."

Meg slides into the booth beside David and slaps his arm. "Stop that. We will cut her off for her before it gets to that point."

As a group, we've watched this destruction once a month for the past six months. We hope it's the last each time, but it never is. It's like a never-ending cycle of heartbreak and disappointment.

Sierra waves over the waitress and orders a round for everyone, staring at me hard from across the booth.

"What?" I ask.

"Don't get your hopes up—all I'm saying," she says, knowing exactly where my mind is about to go.

We've been friends for as long as I can remember, Tina and I. Watching her with him is like a constant jab in my heart. We, your friends, know you deserve better, but what puzzles me is how you don't. We hear your complaints, listen when you talk about how wrong you two are for one another, and even when you say you're leaving him, you stay.

"I don't think I can watch this trainwreck anymore," I muttered, my heart aching for Tina. I wish she could see herself as we see her: strong and beautiful, classy and fun, not someone's second choice.

Sierra gets up and heads my way.

"Tell me about it," Sierra says, sitting beside me and resting her head on my shoulder. "That girl is like a weekly drama, and it always turns out bad."

As Tina approaches, I brace myself, the anticipation of her arrival almost unbearable. I hope I can keep my emotions in check.

"Oh shit," Sierra says, sitting up, "here we go."

Sitting here, watching, I wonder if you'll ever notice me. I wear my heart on my sleeve, hoping you'll see how much I admire you, how many options you have, and how much better life could be with the right person.

The back-and-forth of your argument has all eyes on the two of you. It starts angry, and it's easy to see that whatever Trey tells you, it's made its mark, and your anger fades. After another minute of conversation, you turn towards us with a big smile on your pretty face.

Sierra sighs. "I refuse to listen to her blabber on in a week." Sierra gets up from the table, takes her beer, and walks away.

"Sorry, guys," Tina says, "but Trey got us tickets for the fake Beetles."

"Rain," I say.

Tina looks at me, puzzled. "Huh?"

"The Beetles cover band is called Rain."

She moves to my side, kisses my cheek, and smiles. "You always know the ins and outs of everything. I love that about you."

Her sweet perfume invades my senses, and the urge to grab your arm and pull you down, stop you from making another mistake, takes hold, but I cannot do it. All I can do is be your friend.

Reaching across the table, she grabs her shades and puts them on. "I'm off. Don't do anything I wouldn't do," Tina says before rushing to catch up to Trey.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," David mimics, shaking his brown head.

"She's never going to learn. Says one thing, does the other," Meg complains, picking up her glass and siping. "It's freakin exhausting."

Sierra returns and slides into the booth beside Meg. "I can't stand this insanity." She stares at me, her brown eyes hard. "It's time. You need to tell her how you feel."

If only it were that simple. "No."

"Well, if he's willing to continue watching and hoping, that's on him," Meg says.

"Gee, thanks," I utter. "I know it's crazy, but telling Tina how I feel will not change anything until she wakes up and realizes what she's known all along."

Tonight, I wait, believing that one day, she will see me with new eyes.





WC: 777




Know The Difference
You're driving all over town
In your big car
Windows down
Sweet perfume trails behind
The impression is in my mind
It's crazy how much I ache
for the moments we could make
Your girlfriends they like to talk
Yeah they told me about your boy
What you do and what you say
Do you know the difference any way
Could I show you what's in store
'Cause I know you'll be wanting more
You're the kind of girl who knows
What you want and where it goes
You got instinct
You got class
Why don't you leave that guy on his ass
Good intensions are not enough
We should join hands and rise above
What you do and what you say
Do you know the difference any way
It's crazy how much I ache
For the moments we could make
Your girlfriends they like to talk
Yeah they told me about your boy
You're driving all over town
In your big car
Windows down
Sweet perfume trails behind
The impression is on my mind
What you do and what you say
Do you know the difference any way
© Copyright 2024 Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071126-Know-the-Difference