*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071123-By-My-Side
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2320172
Short story collection based on the album.
#1071123 added June 29, 2024 at 9:37pm
Restrictions: None
By My Side

So many nights we've spent far apart. It's late as I reach for the phone, needing to call you, to hear that sultry voice that rights my world again. The thought of disturbing your peaceful slumber holds me back. But the longing to hear your voice, to feel your presence, is stronger. My mind whirls, trying to decide if I should dare to follow through or let you rest.

In a week, I will be home again, where in the dark of night, I can be there, with you by my side, snuggled up against me. The thought of those nights when I'm no longer alone fills me with anticipation and brings a smile to my weary face, a smile that only you elicit from me.

I can wait, I finally decide, though temptation lingers. The cell phone in my hand glows with your vibrant face staring back at me, a constant reminder of your allure and the strength of my love for you. You are the reason I can do what I do, to be far away, knowing that you await my return when all is said and done.

"I wish you knew how much I hate being away from you," I whisper to your picture. The silence of the cold and dark hotel room is my only response.

Sometimes, I think it's time to stop touring and return to a normal way of life, but this is the life I chose, following my dreams, and those dreams led me to you. How could I turn my back on that when I've been so blessed? You wouldn't let me, even if I wanted to.

A sigh escapes, and I stare at your face, focusing on your expressive brown eyes. How many people notice the flecks of green and gold that highlight the wonder of your eyes? I have always seen and been mesmerized by them; that mix of green, gold, and brown is like a radar, alerting me to your mood. When they shine bright, they are accompanied by the most engaging smile. Do you know your smile lights up your eyes with mischief?

Oh, and with anger comes their darkening, and angering you is the thing I hope to never do, as impossible as that might be. But when passion takes hold, that darkening takes my breath away, and the need to have you close takes over my every impulse.

The room plunges into darkness again, and I hit the button to bring your picture back to the phone, content with staring at you for a minute longer. Sleep tugs at me, threatening to take hold as exhaustion sets in. Again, that ache of hearing your voice filters through my mind as I drift. You are the only thing on my mind as my eyes close. All I want now is a dream-filled night of you and me, where we can be together, where the distance diminishes and the depths of our love lights up the universe like a shooting star on a clear night.

As if you feel my thoughts across the vast world, my phone rings, your name flashing on the screen, fulfilling my heart's desire.




WC: 530

By My Side
In the dark of night
Those small hours
Uncertain and anxious
I need to call you
Rooms full of strangers
Some call me friend
But I wish you were
So close to me
In the dark of night
Those small hours
I drift away
When I'm with you
By my side
(In the dark of night)
By my side
I wish you were
I wish you were
Here comes the clown
His face is a wall
No window
No air at all
In the dark of night
Those faces they haunt me
But I wish you were
So close to me
By my side
(In the dark of night)
By my side
I wish you were
I wish you were
By my side
(In the dark of night)
By my side
I wish you were
I wish you were
In the dark of night
Those faces they haunt me
I wish you were
So close to me
Yes, I wish you were
By my side
© Copyright 2024 Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Wishing WDC Happy 24th has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1071123-By-My-Side