*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
6
9
11
13
15
17
19
23
24
26
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062781-20240122-PrologueEpilogue
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1062781 added January 22, 2024 at 12:39am
Restrictions: None
20240122 Prologue/Epilogue
Prologue/Epilogue

For some reason, this question comes up a lot – should my novel/novella use a prologue and/or an epilogue?

The answer is simple – does it fit the story? If yes, then use one or both. If it feels tacked on and bogs the tale down or does not add anything, then no, don’t use them.

Prologues and epilogues are seen as slightly archaic means of delivering a story by many modern people, readers and publishers alike. However, some see them as a nice way to bookend a story.

Cons:
* why not make it chapter 1 and/or chapter (last)?
* seen as old-fashioned.
* they have become clichéd
* it became a movie technique sometime during the 1960s, peaking in the 1980s, so it’s seen as a cinematic stylistic device
* some see it as just a means of upping the word count.

Pros:
* it can set a scene without interrupting story flow
* can bookend a story well
* a harkening back to some old-styled story-telling devices (this goes to the oral process of story-telling, and the first written accounts), and this can work well with some genres
* can give a feeling of atmosphere
* introduces the main character away from the story
* can be set at a different time, so we have an introduction away from the main action, or a ‘where are they now?’ style ending

As to the length of a prologue/epilogue – there is never a set length for anything; it’s whatever works for the story. However, your prologue and epilogue should not be the longest chapters in a book as a general rule. The reader will lose focus. Generally, the shorter the better.

As to how to write them. In the past, the “letter”/epistolary form is quite common, and has become a cliché (but I like it personally). Modern day blog/ email/ Twitter/ Facebook styles are becoming slightly more frequent. The reason this was done was to give an idea of the MC’s inner thoughts – you got to know the MC better before the story began. And there are hints of action to come while other characters can be introduced, but no spoilers at the same time.

As for if it is necessary – write it. If it doesn’t work, in your second draft get rid of it. Or change it. Or make it chapter 1. Or make it chapter 5. It does not matter. Experiment while you’re doing early drafts.

And, finally, yes, they are considered obsolete. However, traditional publishers will keep them if they work. As to self-publishing, I’ve never gone that route, but I guess you write and publish what you want. This is one of those cases where the concept of the work being yours and what you want to do with it is tantamount.


© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062781-20240122-PrologueEpilogue