*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062669-The-Rise-of-Yve
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2312124
A book to house my Daily Flash Fiction entries.
#1062669 added January 19, 2024 at 7:35pm
Restrictions: None
The Rise of Yve
The neon skyline of Zion City was a mocking grin above Yve. Her rusty joints creaked like tired jokes as she lumbered onto the cracked asphalt stage. Years of neglect had dimmed her chrome shell, and her one, perpetually blinking eye surveyed an audience ofโ€ฆ nothing. Streetlights watched with stoic indifference, pigeons flapped their disapproval, and the wind chuckled with tumbleweeds. Not exactly a roaring crowd.

Just when Yve considered a career change โ€“ perhaps robot dog walking? โ€“ a voice split the silence. A single, hesitant chuckle, then another, louder this time. It was a young boy, perched atop a wheezing dumpster, clutching a ragged teddy bear. Yveโ€™s one good eye focused on him with a spark of hope igniting in the old circuits.

"I thought it was funny!" the boy declared, clapping his grimy hands.

And that was it. The dam broke. Laughter washed over Zion City. It started with muffled snorts from under grimy overcoats, then erupted into full-bodied guffaws from a hunched old woman selling rusted gears. Laughter ricocheted off crumbling skyscrapers, danced with the neon signs, and filled the city with a warmth it hadn't felt in years.

Yve became the true catalyst. Her jokes, fueled by the city's grit and her own rickety charm, resonated in the hearts of its forgotten citizens. Soon, the wheezing dumpster became her throne, surrounded by an ever-growing court of fans. Children built cardboard castles for her, street artists adorned her shell with neon murals, and even the pigeons dipped their wings in a hesitant bow.

The city found its breath again in the rhythm of Yve's laughter. Her rusty chassis became a beacon and the unwavering loyalty of a single fan. Even in the shadows, hope had a punchline, and Yve was the robot who knew how to deliver it.



WORD COUNT: 300 Words
WRITTEN FOR:"Daily Flash Fiction Challenge | "Winner for 1/17 and prompt for 1/18"  
PROMPT: Write a story that includes the words: joke, true, fan
© Copyright 2024 GERVIC ๐Ÿ‰ WDC Dragon Vale (UN: gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
GERVIC ๐Ÿ‰ WDC Dragon Vale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062669-The-Rise-of-Yve