*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
6
9
11
13
15
17
19
23
24
26
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062574-20240118-Ideas-v-Technical
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2311764
This is a continuation of my blogging here at WdC
#1062574 added January 18, 2024 at 2:22am
Restrictions: None
20240118 Ideas v Technical
Ideas v Technical

In my Writing Advice post, some people expressed confusion as to why the advice would garner abuse. Well, that's simple:

In this day and age of everyone being sensitive snowflakes, and language being completely personal, picking on someone's spelling or grammar or punctuation (etc.) is seen as elitist, ableist, whatever. As I said in the advice, though, I would not expect someone to be perfect at it, just that they try to improve if they have issues. Yet that apparently is still seen as gatekeeping. Because we can do whatever we want and people who don't publish us are just haters who are abusing us for our culture. Always "them", never us.

Now, a few years ago I had an argument with a writer here at WdC who said that it does not matter if you don’t have the technical tools because ideas are all that matter. My response was: if that imagination does not come with tools, then how can the writer express it so others will want to read it? Their response? People will look past it because my ideas are so great and unique.

I don’t think there is any “ONE” thing to being a good author. Some truly terrible ideas and lack of imagination have still made some intriguing books; some great ideas and imagination in the hands of clumsy writers have made some truly horrendous books.

So, yes, imagination is important. Ideas are important. The ability to express them in words is important. The ability to put it in a form that people want to read is important. Having compelling characters is important. Having a narrative flow is important. Having a grasp of language, grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc. is important. To me, all are equally important.

Having said that, as I have said, I have been accused of being elitist with this thinking, but to my mind grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., are the tools of a writer. You might have the best idea in the world, but if you can't put it across, then no-one is going to want to read it. It would be like an architect saying he has the best plans for a house, but he can't draw, use a ruler or do the mathematical equations necessary to ensure it gets done. Ideas are ten a penny; to make yours stand out you need the basic tools. In fact, I think all ideas have been used. What we do now is manipulate old ideas into new situations.

For any writer who says they cannot "do" these things, then learn. Find some-one somewhere to teach you. If you are serious about wanting to be a writer, then go and learn. Sorry, but it is that simple. YouTube has videos. Brittanica.com has free online workshops. Oxford has free online pamphlets. There is so much out there!

If you want affirmation, then show your work to your friends and family.

If you want to be a writer, then get ready for people telling you that things need work. Heaven help these people if they ever try to submit to a trad publisher... or if they ever get a one-star review on Amazon for their self-published work.

You know, I sometimes prefer the pre-Internet days in some ways. At least, the days before everyone felt they had "the right" to be treated as perfect and not be criticised for anything.

© Copyright 2024 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062574-20240118-Ideas-v-Technical