*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059863-20231121-NaNo-XXIV
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2263218
A blog detailing my writing over the next however long.
#1059863 added November 21, 2023 at 3:06am
Restrictions: None
20231121 NaNo XXIV
November 21, 2023, 5:00pm

Well...

The story does, indeed, continue. He wants to start again. And he means that very literally.

She thinks it is a game and is annoyed... and yet also intrigued.

It's heading for a big showdown of emotion.

Or maybe they'll just bonk.

Stupid characters doing their own thing.

Now.,.

I wrote all of this this morning. I was planning on a 10k word day, maybe finish this story off, but my first beta reader - she's a 26 year old librarian who has a love for what is called 'New Adult' in the USA - finished her perusal of my work. Her perusal and 14 typed pages of notes. So I started going through Raven this afternoon, looking at her notes, and I think this is going to continue to tomorrow. 2 days it took her, and if she wasn't leaving to take up a new job 5 hours away by car, I would use her as my beta reader again. As it is, she sat down with me and went through her notes, and then told me she wanted to read it after I made changes.

Here's the thing - for the first time, a reader/editor has read my work and what she has suggested will actually add words to the overall word count. I mean, there are some sections that are going to be cut down, but her need for extra explanation and things like that means this story is about to be extended. So, having cut the work down by getting rid of a sub-plot, it is now about to grow again.

Again, this is something that happens to a pantser, and something that can happen if you have good beta readers. But it is also something that, as writers, we need to put our pride on the shelf and listen to others and take their advice when it comes to our "babies" and what we have created. It is hard, but you need to understand that this will make work stronger.

Now, I don't mean a review on WdC. For some, they can be invaluable, especially those at the start of a writing journey. But those who are more comfortable need something more than that, more than what the majority of WdC can provide. And this young woman has given me that. I will do what she has suggested, send a revised copy to my daughter and give her one, and see how we go.

Oh, and some will want to know the cost. Because I have a little bit of a name as a local writer with some success, she was just happy for me to give a signed copy of Invasive Species to her. So it cost me a book. My daughter? She just wants to help her dad.

Therefore, "song muse story" is going to have a one day, two day break while I do what has been suggested to me. It may also give the characters a chance to settle down.

Stupid characters doing their own thing...

Raven words: 86278
song muse story words: 27698
Daily words: 4511
Total words: 114002

© Copyright 2023 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059863-20231121-NaNo-XXIV