*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057558-Hiding
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1057558 added October 17, 2023 at 11:35am
Restrictions: None
Hiding...
Prompt: Hiding the True Self
What do you think of people who knowingly hide a something of their true self? Have you known or read about someone who had to hide their true self or an aspect of their identity? How would this internal conflict affect them as time goes by?


--------

To begin with, everyone hides something mostly from themselves and that's why the therapists are in business, but when it comes to doing this knowingly, the question could be "why?"

Why? This may have a few reasons, depending on the person. The internal conflict that arises from hiding one's true self, or a part of it, is often rooted in the tension between authenticity and conformity. As a negative, when people suppress their genuine thoughts, emotions, and identities, they may experience anxiety, depression, and a profound sense of emptiness.

As to the question of why, the most obvious answer would have to do with being found out by the authorities or the police. Anyone who has read a few books on World War II in Germany will understand this very well.

If not the authorities, then the primary reason could be the fear of rejection. People may worry that if they reveal certain aspects of their personality, beliefs, or lifestyles, others may not accept them. This fear can stem from their past experiences of rejection or societal pressures to conform to certain norms.

Then, society often imposes expectations on individuals, such as how they should behave, what they should value, or what they should pursue in life. People may hide aspects of themselves to fit into a specific societal mold.

Concealing one's true self can be a way to avoid conflicts or arguments, too. People may believe that by not sharing their true opinions or feelings, they can maintain harmony in their relationships or social circles. Sometimes, a culture's or a family's expectations can exert strong pressure on individuals to conform to certain values and behaviors. Hiding one's true self might be a way to maintain a sense of belonging or to avoid disappointing loved ones. This, however, can lead to inner turmoil as they suppress their true thoughts and emotions.

Also, sometimes, people hide their true selves as a form of self-protection. They might have vulnerabilities, insecurities, or traumatic experiences that they want to shield from others. Sharing these aspects can make them feel exposed and vulnerable, so they choose to keep them hidden.

In addition, there is that professional image and desire for approval that can create havoc within a person. This pursuit of external validation can create internal turmoil as people become disconnected from their genuine selves.

Is there a cure for this? Possibly, yes. Self acceptance and self-discovery could be the way to go, but this is difficult to do because it often involves facing fears, confronting past traumas, and gradually revealing true selves to others. Even a step in this direction, can show people a more genuine and fulfilling path in living. After all, not having to hide anything is a big relief, isn't it!


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057558-Hiding