*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050910-Donald-Sternwood
Rated: 18+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #2292954
A wealthy obese businesswoman gets kidnapped
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1050910 added July 1, 2023 at 6:31pm
Restrictions: None
Donald Sternwood
Donald grew up on small farm outside Wisconsin Dells in Wisconsin, the eldest of four. At a young age he showed his entrepreneurial skills. June tenth, nineteen sixty four at the age of eight, while out cycling his bicycle he noted tradesmen leaving a new waterpark in the resort they were building to go into town to get their lunch. He then had a brain wave the next day he made some home made lemonade and stole his mothers freshly made corn bread and corn beef. He cycled back and sold the lot, he saved himself from a caning when he showed how much he made. The next day his mother got up early and together they made more bread and lemonade, then his younger brothers and sisters got involved and before long she had to drive their ford pick up down given the volume.

School won't interrupt his business, he would get up extra early make his lemonade and sandwiches and his mother go and sell them for a fee. From his money he bought some turkeys from his father fattened them up for thanksgiving. His father sold them on for him again at a profit.

He enjoyed his mothers cooking and baking and realised others did too. He could never figure out why some some food places could charge more than others. So when old enough he went to work hotels and restaurants and learned that it was quality .

After he finished high school he took a job as a Trainee Manager at the exclusive Madison Plaza hotel in Wisconsin. Here he learned about the industry standards and quality. At this stage, his mom had a successful Deli in operation in the Dells. A lot of the produce they could boast came from their farm and so could sell at a premium price.

After a few months he was promoted to food and beverage manager, and in that roll he lobbied hotel senior management on the benefits of buying from his family farm and soon his parents were supplying meat and vegetables to the hotel.

At age twenty three he bought his mothers Deli business and hired out a café, and left the hotel. He then extended into outdoor catering.

By 1992 at the age of thirty six he had several deli's and sandwich bars in Wisconsin as well as a successful catering business. It was then he was put in connect with Patrick and Sylvia Avery of New Jersey. Patrick and Sylvia had several restaurants in New Jersey as well as an outsourcing services business to hotels and other catering establishments. The Avery's wanted to discuss some business opportunities they could work on together.

His first interaction with the Avery power couple could have went pair shaped, it was July and temperatures were in the high seventies. The air con was broken in his rental. When he made it to the Avery's office in Newark, the first thing Patrick Avery done was close his top shirt button and tighten his tie and then he smiled "Now we can do business!".

It was March 1993 at the launch of a hospitality recruitment business venture with the Averys. He was chatting with Rosamund, whom he fancied but she was already married, next thing in came this small plump twenty eight year old woman in a two piece grey suit wearing a pair of large black circular glasses.

Rosamund introduced Prudence to him and they chatted for most of the evening. There was something about her, her intelligence and business brain, the way she spoke with her hands, he tried to block all of this out of his head as he had a business relationship with the Avery's and he didn't want to ruin it.

Little did he know, Rosamund was constantly telling her parents and Prudence that he was ideal for her and threatened her with a headlock if she screwed up at the launch.

A few weeks later he had his first un-offical date with Prudence, He was covering as operations manager at a large catering event in New York as part of his venture with the Averys. It was a saturday and Prudence offered her services as one of the managers, she also offered him breakfast before they went to the venue. He arrived at her appartment on Queens Boulevard, she was fully dressed in her managers uniform, grey pants, grey waistecoat, white blouse and gold necktie. She glared at him as he entered the apartment "where is your tie Donald?"

"Ah, I left it at the venue yesterday, will put it on then". Prudence pursed her lips in anger "Donald, your a businessman in our industries, a businessman without a tie is like a referee without a whistle."

Donald rubbed his face with his right hand, he wasn't expecting this "Oh sorry, a booboo by me there"

"What do you think Donald, when staff members turn up and see you waltzing in not properly attired" her tone oozed annoyance

"What if one of the clients meet you along the way, what impression do you think they will have?"

Inside he felt deflated "Your right, apologies, won't happen again, stupid mistake by me".


Prudence extends out her palms "Every sunday night my parents review their weekly diaries, and have their attire selected. My mother would cross examine everything. Including my fathers ties. We would have our school uniforms lined up for the week and any other casual clothing. First thing we done every morning was washed and then put on our clothes. We had to be fully dressed for our day, our parents always said preparation starts in the morning, not ten minutes before work or school, go on into the kitchen".

He walked into the kitchen afraid to sit down, no doubt Pat and Sylvia will hear about this and by what Prudence said he'd expect a stern lecture.

Prudence entered carrying four ties "I keep spare ties here in case my father is staying over when on business, he does say a businessman should always have a spare tie close by. I also have ties in my office in the bank for when male colleagues might forget a tie".

She selects a red paisley necktie "I think this one will be appropriate, close up your top button! and raise up your collar!!" Donald complied with the order

She positioned the tie and monitored Donald for tie length "I'll do a double Winchester knot"

"Wow, you can tie, a tie, I'm impressed!", stated Donald hoping to win back some respect.

Prudence smiled "In our business tying a tie properly is as important as tying your shoe laces. Nothing says unprofessional more than a tie hanging loosely, or not knotted properly. A businessman must take time to properly select his tie as well as properly knot it and sit it correctly in the shirt collar, you can say a lot about a businessman and his tie".

Donald scratches the crown of his head in a mix of frustration and confusion. Frustrated because his breakfast invite wasn't going as he imagined and confused because he was unsure if this woman had any feelings for him. Suddenly he began to wonder if perhaps the nine year gap was a big deal for her and she had no interest.

"You do a beautiful knot" he praised which gets a smile from Prudence as she adjusted her glasses on her nose "Each morning my mother would cross examine and readjust my fathers tie as well as our school ties. Ms Rosenblum used get me to demonstrate to the class how to properly tie a tie. Unfortunately it usually lead to me getting punched by Pamela Best."

She removed the tie from around her and with assistance from Donald placed it in position around his collar "I hope you punched her back" he stated as he closed up his top button and adjusted his tie

Prudence adjusted it more "No way, I was afraid of her"



© Copyright 2023 amateur40 (UN: amateur40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
amateur40 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050910-Donald-Sternwood