*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049324-Tennesse-Three
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2293895
Express It Eight Current Poems Vol Two
#1049324 added May 7, 2023 at 1:52am
Restrictions: None
Tennesse Three
         
Tennessee Three

One of the “Tennessee Three”
In the last hour of the debate
Stood his ground
Amid a swelling roar
Of protest as they were expelled
For demanding action against gun violence
But they soon had their revenge
Voted right back in the office

GRAB THE NEAREST BOOK. TURN TO PAGE 28 AND CHOOSE 3 WORDS
YOU WANT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POEM.

(At the top/bottom of your poem, tell the name of the book you used
and list the 3 words you chose.)

Author Note: for those outside the US or not following US politics, this spring two black representatives in Tennessee were expelled for leading a protest demanding action against gun violence after another school shooting. The Republican-dominated legislature expelled the two black representatives while sparing the white woman, declaring that they were expelled for violating rules of decorum. They soon were sent back by their country boards who fully supported them and they became national symbols in the ongoing political wars over gun violence, and the continued impact of racism, as no one believed that their expulsion was not due to them being outspoken young African American leaders.

• Lawmakers expelled: What to know about the 'Tennessee Three'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65182502
WebApr 7, 2023 · Survivor of Illinois shooting makes angry plea in Nashville. Six people - three children and three staff - were killed in a shooting by an ex-student at the Covenant …
• The "Tennessee Three": Why were two of the Democratic …
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-expulsion-house...
WebApr 7, 2023 · Who is Justin Jones? Justin Jones, 27, was the first of the "Tennessee Three" to be expelled from the House, by a vote of 72-25. He'd been one of the youngest …
EXPLORE FURTHER


Why the Tennessee Democratic Party is out of step and n…


www.tennessean.com



How Tennessee’s Congressional Delegation Voted On Im…

wpln.org

Recommended to you based on what's popular • Feedback
• 2023 Tennessee House of Representatives expulsions - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Tennessee_House_of...

From Robert Harris Imperium P 28 (about the life of Cicero)
The Last Hour
Stood his ground
A swelling roar of protest

Note: I am struck by how very little has changed in politics since the days of Cicero one of the greatest politicians in ancient Rome who served during the rise to power of Caesar and the end of the Republic. Much of his writings survived as his long-serving secretary who lived to be 100 wrote a long memoir about the life and times of Cicero which has survived. A fascinating period of Roman history that still reverberates to this day. 
© Copyright 2023 JCosmos (UN: jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JCosmos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049324-Tennesse-Three