*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039338-Prompt-4-GHA---Not-So-Scary
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1039338 added October 17, 2022 at 6:33pm
Restrictions: None
Prompt #4 GHA - Not So Scary
Prompt 4: What is something that used to scare you but no longer does? Why was it so scary?


Fear is defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary as: an unpleasant, often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger.

Fear of heights may cause us to avoid a Ferris Wheel. The jerky movements of a roller coaster car scares us away from riding in it. Not knowing what will happen to us is a big motivator of fear. The unknown, scares us silly. Facing our fears can bring some relief, after some unpleasant feelings. Working through the fear can cause it to lessen over time.

I had a fear of dying. It is part of life, and it may be irrational, but there it was. Part of the fear was the unknown. I didn't know if my life was in the right, or if I had enough "credit" with God in order to go to heaven. Also, how can you know?

That is where faith comes in. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1). Many people have the "seeing is believing" mentality. According to Hebrews, God wants us to trust Him, even though we cannot see our way through something. Death is one of those things. Watching Pilgrim's Progress showed that the last obstacle to be overcome is Death. The book portrays it as a wall of water that one has to go through, in order to get to the Celestial City. In order to defeat the last obstacle, we must have a measure of faith.

Hebrews 11:6 says "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Having come close to death, I no longer fear it. I am not ready to go just yet, but I am no longer afraid.


© Copyright 2022 AmyJo- back to basics again! (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- back to basics again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039338-Prompt-4-GHA---Not-So-Scary