*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024277-Jan-4-2022---DISC-GOLF
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #2260353
a place for my responses to the prompts from Andre the Blog Monkey's Banana Bar
#1024277 added January 6, 2022 at 5:48pm
Restrictions: None
Jan. 4, 2022 - DISC GOLF!
PROMPT January 4, 2022
Besides reading and writing, blog about your hobby or me-time passion.


For this prompt, I am going to discuss disc golf. I've written about this love affair of mine on quite a few occasions so bear with me while I once again rave about this wonderful sport.

The first time I saw a disc golf basket, I thought it was some kind of artwork or some fancy cooking grill. I was seventeen and high as a kite on pot, chilling at the park with my best friend and his dog Amos, when I looked up the hill and saw this metal, um ... thing gleaming in the sunlight. I asked my friend if he knew what it was and he said, "Naw, man." So we made up our own versions of what the structures of twisted metal and chains were. It wasn't until about eight years later that I learned the truth. Those things weren't art-deco grills designed for beauty and function, they weren't metal statues that looked like trophies. They were made to catch and hold discs similar to frisbees!
         It had been a while since I had played in any sports. Not since I had graduated high school. But I found the game fascinating, watching those discs soar and turn and dive toward the basket. I gave it a try that first day using my husband's disc. I fell in love with a sport new to me. I think it probably helped that along with my husband, I had a couple of professional disc golfers teaching me how to play, giving me pointers and showing me new ways to throw the discs. It was soon after I first began to play that I was gifted with my own discs and bag to carry them in. Being out on a course, bag on my shoulder, and disc in my hand - I was in my element. Fast forward a couple of years and I played in the state championship for my division. I had an amazing time.
         I still have an amazing time on the course. After my hospitalization, it was nice to even be at the course walking along while my husband and our friends played. It was a goal slow in coming; having to take it slow and easy. Visit by visit I worked up to being able to walk the entire course and eventually picked up a disc again. I'm working at being able to play more than one round in a day again- some days are better than others due to my condition and the pain it brings. But there's no keeping me away from the course. There's just a vibe to playing disc golf for me. It's laid back, fun, competitive in a friendly way. For me, there's a sense of science-meets-sport-meets-meditation. Different holes on a course require different approaches to reaching them. Throwing properly can be pretty technical; angles and arcs, speed and spin, type of disc and factors at release influence flight speed and pattern. Like ball golf, there are drivers, mid-ranges, and putters - various types of discs for every situation. Physics is applied, most of the time by people who don't even know they are doing anything sciency.
         It might not sound appealing to you - it isn't for everyone. I like it though, it's a wonderful way to spend quality time with the hubby. No matter what, it's a walk in the park. Hanging out with the guys, throwing discs, talking shit, a safety meeting now and then, throw more discs, talk more shit. On holidays, our disc golf family gathers for a round or two, some good laughs, sometimes some good food, and always good company. We're all bonded by our love for disc golf and many of us are bonded by the friendships we've developed over time. It's always awesome when we can welcome new players and get to visit with old ones that have moved off. Easy camaraderie, good laughs, good times - even when you play bad it's still all good. That's where I find myself nowadays. I can't compete like I once could. I still play but I'm just competing with myself for the most part. Gone are the days of birdies and par golf. I'm the Bogey Queen. At least one over par on each hole is my normal. But, hey, I still have a shitload of fun at the course. I guess I'd qualify for "The Beer Drinkin' League," if only I was able to drink beer again. I'd probably still compete with someone though - but only if they had their sights set on Dead Frickin'Last.


Maybe I'll see you on the course someday...Happy flying!

green fairy

© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024277-Jan-4-2022---DISC-GOLF