*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023653-What-do-YOU-mean-by-Merry-Christmas
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#1023653 added December 25, 2021 at 3:04pm
Restrictions: None
What do YOU mean by "Merry Christmas"?
I find it sad that Christians don't follow Christ's teachings more than what they do. Of course, that could be said of most religious people.

I do want to write an essay to that affect but posting it here poses some issues until I can find the right words and correct approach. Some folks are quite dogmatic; blessedly, few have a god complex.

What do Christian's mean by "Merry Christmas"? Is it merely a giddiness borne of drunken joy? Is it based on the fullfilment of OT prophecy with the birth of a baby boy? What about Christ's mission... eucharist? Pentacost?

In the afterglow of Christ's presence and announcements communities (later organised as churches) were founded through an agreement on His life depicted in the gospels and expanded on in the letters sent to the early communitites by Paul, James, Priscilla and others. Paul exhorted belief as a basis rather than adherance to laws; James stated that beliefs needed to be put into action to bear fruit; and Priscilla's letter to the Hebrews assured the early community that they would accomplish this through faith and hope.

Yet, the Light of Christ seems to have been dimmed by the actions of the believers who through centuries have ossified into a dogmatic community willing to follow leaders with a god complex.

Any message of love and healing became muddied with actions of war and hatred.

Sadly, a community of true believers can turn its dogma into a weapon against others; and, although Christians may not appreciate me mentioning this on Christmas, a mere greeting with "Merry Christmas" devoid of love feels like a sledge hammer.

So what do YOU mean, as an individual, when you greet others this way?
5453

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023653-What-do-YOU-mean-by-Merry-Christmas